All for reef alkalinity problems .

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 60 gallon , medium stocking. I use all for reef . Started with a 5 ml dosage then started noticing that it wasn’t enough so increased to 8 ml which also wasn’t enough ( 6 dkh using slaifert ) increased to 12 ml (recommended dose) same issue ( also 6 dkh ) . I am afraid if I keep increasing the dosage that I will end up with a tank crash . The alkalinity doesn’t seem to increase not even a bit . At this point I don’t know what’s the issue ; my test kit , my dosing pump or all for reef . I have been using All for reef for about 6 months with no issues until now .

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 60 gallon , medium stocking. I use all for reef . Started with a 5 ml dosage then started noticing that it wasn’t enough so increased to 8 ml which also wasn’t enough ( 6 dkh using slaifert ) increased to 12 ml (recommended dose) same issue ( also 6 dkh ) . I am afraid if I keep increasing the dosage that I will end up with a tank crash . The alkalinity doesn’t seem to increase not even a bit . At this point I don’t know what’s the issue ; my test kit , my dosing pump or all for reef . I have been using All for reef for about 6 months with no issues until now .
You can test your test kit against freshly mixed saltwater to confirm it’s ok.
and maybe turn off dosing pump and dose manually for a few days to rule that out?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a 2nd test kit to check against? AFR seems to increase alk more than the other elements for me, and I worry you have a test error and are increasing alk by a lot…

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test your test kit against freshly mixed saltwater to confirm it’s ok.
and maybe turn off dosing pump and dose manually for a few days to rule that out?
I will make sure to try these out

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a 2nd test kit to check against? AFR seems to increase alk more than the other elements for me, and I worry you have a test error and are increasing alk by a lot…
Unfortunately not at the moment but I don’t mind buying another one to be safe .

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested alkalinity again today (6.0 dkh) and tested on a batch of newly mixed saltwater of Red Sea coral pro salt (black bucket ) got 11.2 dkh ( correct reading ) .
I have read that when using all for reef you can’t detect results on test kits only after 48 hours . Will be testing other parameters soon .

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the chance of a test error has been eliminated. Will be waiting to check if my doser turns on at the wanted time .

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR and my experience is this

it is no good to increase any of the parameters but excellent to maintain it. It does need supplement dosing in some case and their website indicates this too.
in my case the dose is set to calcium and I supplement magnesium and alkalinity.
In this way I get nice flat line in all 3 element levels

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear colleague,
my initial reactions were (as just mentioned):
-check if your dosing pump is working properly
-AFR does not change immediately the KH. You need to wait at least a day

And the new ones:
- what were you dosing before to keep alk?
- you mentioned that medium stocked… how about coralline algae?

Again ,that is a ”recommended dosage”… still, this is always very general or a “educated guess“ from Tropic Marine. It will change a lot from tank to tank.

Important remark, as @attiland stated above, to bring back now your KH to normal level, probably AFR alone is no the best option.

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear colleague,
my initial reactions were (as just mentioned):
-check if your dosing pump is working properly
-AFR does not change immediately the KH. You need to wait at least a day

And the new ones:
- what were you dosing before to keep alk?
- you mentioned that medium stocked… how about coralline algae?

Again ,that is a ”recommended dosage”… still, this is always very general or a “educated guess“ from Tropic Marine. It will change a lot from tank to tank.

Important remark, as @attiland stated above, to bring back now your KH to normal level, probably AFR alone is no the best option.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank your for your response,
- I have a heavy build up of coralline algae ( can’t believed I missed that one )
-I have used AFR since day one therefore didn’t use any other supplements.
I think it’s time to step up my game and start using other supplements along with AFR , or I could increase my dosage will see how it goes .

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested alkalinity again today (6.0 dkh) and tested on a batch of newly mixed saltwater of Red Sea coral pro salt (black bucket ) got 11.2 dkh ( correct reading ) .
I have read that when using all for reef you can’t detect results on test kits only after 48 hours . Will be testing other parameters soon .
When you are testing for alkalinity, take note on what time of the day when the test is done. The KH measurements will fluctuate based on your light cycle.

While AFR will not immediately raise your kh when added into your aquarium, rest assured the alkalinity and other elements are supplemented. I am dosing 120ml per day for my 200G reef. When the consumption is high, just dose more. Ideally the dosage should be spread out throughout the day.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure that we are on the same page; the main purpose of this thread wasn’t to criticize AFR , it’s a great product and I am a proud consumer . I was concerned about the sudden increase in the consumption of alkalinity. And was afraid that I might start to over dose AFR .

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure that we are on the same page; the main purpose of this thread wasn’t to criticize AFR , it’s a great product and I am a proud consumer . I was concerned about the sudden increase in the consumption of alkalinity. And was afraid that I might start to over dose AFR .
If this is due to good coral growth, which is likely, then it's a happy problem.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested other parameters they are also low , will be increasing the dose for now .

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is due to good coral growth, which is likely, then it's a happy problem.
When you are testing for alkalinity, take note on what time of the day when the test is done. The KH measurements will fluctuate based on your light cycle.

While AFR will not immediately raise your kh when added into your aquarium, rest assured the alkalinity and other elements are supplemented. I am dosing 120ml per day for my 200G reef. When the consumption is high, just dose more. Ideally the dosage should be spread out throughout the day.
Noted with care thank you .

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated everyone for your help and responses .

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Clear and if the other parameters are also low, then it is easier indeed… just increase the dosage and keep monitoring it.
Still, take the opportunity to check the dosing pump and also if the tube is not blocked.

Good luck!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back