Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What is your opinion on iodine concentration in Tropic Marin All-For-Reef?

• Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef could be higher

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is exactly right

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is rather on the high side

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I am sorry my guess was wrong, it still is a batch with lower iodine concentration. The different look may be a result of storage and storage conditions. Like already mentioned, the discolorations are iodine, this still is correct.

The batches with the double iodine concentrations started a few weeks later. It are all batches with batch numbers 141.. and higher.

Again, I am sorry for my wrong first guess.
Hi-
So, is this still okay to dose my tank with? (it's already in place dosing)
The other reefer on another thread had the same issue with A4R and they purchased it from @SaltwaterAq

Mixed up #AllforReef Batch#13415
image0 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, is this still okay to dose my tank with? (it's already in place dosing)
Yes, you can use this solution.

I am using All-For-Reef made from AFR Powder, sometimes with some discoloration, for three years now with good succes. These specks are reported to us from time to time and we don't have any negative feedback.

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use this solution.

I am using All-For-Reef made from AFR Powder, sometimes with some discoloration, for three years now with good succes. These specks are reported to us from time to time and we don't have any negative feedback.
Just came across this thread after doing some searching. Someone mentioned to me that AFR has lower than ideal iodine and potassium so I had to look into it. I just started using the formula and wanted to check the bottle I have. Lot # starts with a 2. Improved formula?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread after doing some searching. Someone mentioned to me that AFR has lower than ideal iodine and potassium so I had to look into it. I just started using the formula and wanted to check the bottle I have. Lot # starts with a 2. Improved formula?

What is a lower than ideal iodine and potassium number and what did you compare it to? Also what salt are you using and what is its iodine and potassium number?

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hans-Werner - I didn't bother reading the entire thread but I have been dosing AFR since March 2021. I've been trying to figure out why everything in my tank is alive, and well (but very pale looking). Is the newer batch of AFR Powder Mix corrected this lack of Iodine?

LPS Pale over the years (alive, eating, extends at night). 100 PAR lighting. LPS in March 2021 just before I started dosing AFR. You can see the red pigmentation is all but lost.

Parameters are good. I'm not intentionally running a ULN, but I am also trying to figure out if AFR is contributing to almost zero phosphates, and nitrates that I have. On the display tank picture, the Trachy has lost it colors too after being in the tank for 3 months. Thus the reason why I am trying to figure what I am missing or doing wrong. The scoly in the middle is new, and you can tell the difference on how it continues to glow compared to the rest.

LPS Pale.jpg LPS March 2021.jpg Display.jpg

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hans-Werner - I didn't bother reading the entire thread but I have been dosing AFR since March 2021. I've been trying to figure out why everything in my tank is alive, and well (but very pale looking). Is the newer batch of AFR Powder Mix corrected this lack of Iodine?

LPS Pale over the years (alive, eating, extends at night). 100 PAR lighting. LPS in March 2021 just before I started dosing AFR. You can see the red pigmentation is all but lost.

Parameters are good. I'm not intentionally running a ULN, but I am also trying to figure out if AFR is contributing to almost zero phosphates, and nitrates that I have. On the display tank picture, the Trachy has lost it colors too after being in the tank for 3 months. Thus the reason why I am trying to figure what I am missing or doing wrong. The scoly in the middle is new, and you can tell the difference on how it continues to glow compared to the rest.

LPS Pale.jpg LPS March 2021.jpg Display.jpg
It’s highly possible as AFR is a carbon dosing effect.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is lack of iodine?
What is your iodine at?
What have you compared it to that verifies it is low?

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is lack of iodine?
What is your iodine at?
What have you compared it to that verifies it is low?
@areefer01 All great questions. I have not been testing for Iodine and just trying to look for some answers -- in this survey thread in particular, if the lack of iodine can indeed cause my LPS to lose color. Being that I chose AFR in the first place, I didn't bother dosing additional trace elements from the beginning.

My reef tank has been stable, until my pink trachy went pale after 3 months. I've gone down the rabbit hole of possibly a nutrient deficiency as I am always close to zero on nitrates on another thread (not confirmed).

That's why I'm asking (hopefully the right questions) here on Reef2Reef, as I see trends regarding AFR with bottoming out of nutrients, and now a lack of iodine on the first batches -- and if corrected with the newer batches since March 2021.

I did stock up on the BRS DIY AFR Kit that I last purchased May 2022. I have about 2000 ml left in storage after mixing the last batch over the weekend (dosing 17ml day).

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used AFR on my lps tank all lps were looking great,iodine is not your problem, but the lack of nutriment is your problem ,so just add some.
Also, AFR never made my nutriment down ( I wish it could!), if it has a carbone dosing effect than probably very slight.

Duz1nho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been using the All for Reef replacement method for approximately 1 year in my 80 gallon tank, and recently I did the ICP test below which showed low Iodine.

The batch of my 1600g pot is from before September 2021. Batch 10537, it was kept here because my previous aquarium is only 20 gallons and I didn't use the product much.

1693276028744.png

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been using the All for Reef replacement method for approximately 1 year in my 80 gallon tank, and recently I did the ICP test below which showed low Iodine.

The batch of my 1600g pot is from before September 2021. Batch 10537, it was kept here because my previous aquarium is only 20 gallons and I didn't use the product much.

1693276028744.png
Iodine is taken up by bacteria extremely quickly. It is also somewhat "unstable" as it changes its form quickly as well. It is not unusual at all to see slightly, or even moderately, low iodine concentrations in your tnk system. It is a very difficult trace element to monitor with precision. In my opinion, if you are using the All-For-Reef in its proper dosage, to maintain your Ca and alkalinity, you can make the assumption that your corals are getting the iodine they need.
If, on the other hand, you are trying to increase your iodine concentrations for some specific reason, like propogating xenia for instance, then you may want to supplement with additional iodine additive. Other than a scenario like that, I don't think it is necessary.

Duz1nho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is taken up by bacteria extremely quickly. It is also somewhat "unstable" as it changes its form quickly as well. It is not unusual at all to see slightly, or even moderately, low iodine concentrations in your tnk system. It is a very difficult trace element to monitor with precision. In my opinion, if you are using the All-For-Reef in its proper dosage, to maintain your Ca and alkalinity, you can make the assumption that your corals are getting the iodine they need.
If, on the other hand, you are trying to increase your iodine concentrations for some specific reason, like propogating xenia for instance, then you may want to supplement with additional iodine additive. Other than a scenario like that, I don't think it is necessary.
Tks Lou

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just for adding my data. I am using AFR for my 55g tank. I am always « too low » on my ATI icp test for iodine at 20ug/l

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just for adding my data. I am using AFR for my 55g tank. I am always « too low » on my ATI icp test for iodine at 20ug/l
Not unusual, Iodine, along with iron and manganese, are metabolized by bacteria so rapidly, that they often show low on ICP test results. If you are using the AFR, your system is getting the iodine it needs. But you can always supplement with some Lugol’s iodine if you are uncomfortable with the assumption.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual, Iodine, along with iron and manganese, are metabolized by bacteria so rapidly, that they often show low on ICP test results. If you are using the AFR, your system is getting the iodine it needs. But you can always supplement with some Lugol’s iodine if you are uncomfortable with the assumption.
I have 3 UG in ATI ICP, recommended is 65, so should I dose supplementary iodine or not, all is fine?
In the ICP I have also 0 manganese and 0 Nickel, the rest seems to be fine.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back