Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What is your opinion on iodine concentration in Tropic Marin All-For-Reef?

• Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef could be higher

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is exactly right

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is rather on the high side

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least in Germany there was no consensus that potassium supply is necessary or beneficial at all. I also had doubts that there may be any positiv effect of potassium supply.

Armin Glaser, who has written a book "Ratgeber Meerwasserchemie" (Guidebook Saltwater Chemistry), published the position that a little less is better than a little more since concentrations only slightly over the natural concentration of 400 ppm had negative effects to some test organisms like mysids while low concentrations down to 200 ppm had no negative short term effects.

My own first trials with potassium under the instructions of an advocat of potassium dosage went very bad and killed some corals and affected others very badly.

Only recently, after years without any water change in one system, potassium concentration had dropped to 300 ppm and I decided to increase it to the normal 400 ppm which showed some positive effects.

Since our salts are well supplied with potassium and it is easy to keep it at natural levels with normal regular water changes, I do not expect a positive effect of routine potassium dosing, rather a negative effect. I can only recommend a potassium supply for tanks with proven deficiency. For this we offer the products Tropic Marin Potassium and the K+ Pro test kit.

My tank consumes a fair amount of potassium. I have to dose it along side all for reef. I think my refugium is the largest sink of it. I'd rather have potassium than some of the trace metals which I found to have built up over time in my tank. I have gone through several gallons of all for reef without water changes on my 75 gallon tank, and some of the metals were elevated without any source of rust in the tank. I'd be glad to share my icp test with you if you are interested, especially given most people don't do near 0 water changes tanks and all for reef together as far as I am aware.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not also find the new batch in German shops, can I order directly from tropic marin?
Usually the shops don't give the batch number. Did you ask the shops?
I just received the 1600g container of powder last week from bulk reef supply and the lot code starts with 1.
Can you please give me the batch number. Then I can take a look into the records.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am sorry, this batch 13546 is still one with the lower iodine concentration.

This is something a manufacturer of course wants to avoid, problems with a switch. However it is something that cannot be completely avoided, some older versions still being in the racks of the shops.

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am sorry, this batch 13546 is still one with the lower iodine concentration.

This is something a manufacturer of course wants to avoid, problems with a switch. However it is something that cannot be completely avoided, some older versions still being in the racks of the shops.
I understand. With BRS being a huge online seller you’d think that the older versions would have been worked through, but maybe they had a huge supply or have a rotation issue.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank consumes a fair amount of potassium. I have to dose it along side all for reef. I think my refugium is the largest sink of it. I'd rather have potassium than some of the trace metals which I found to have built up over time in my tank. I have gone through several gallons of all for reef without water changes on my 75 gallon tank, and some of the metals were elevated without any source of rust in the tank. I'd be glad to share my icp test with you if you are interested, especially given most people don't do near 0 water changes tanks and all for reef together as far as I am aware.
For me nothing built up but with the old formula I lack Iodine, vanadium, zinc, nickel

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iodine in All-For-Reef is iodide.

Dissolved elemental iodine would give a brown color to the solution. More or less clear and colorless solutions contain iodide (I-) or iodate (IO3-).
Yeah, makes sense, I figured that was the case. Is it potassium iodide or something like potassium bromide? Guessing the latter since your A- Elements has bromine and fluorine?

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All-For-Reef contains the halogene salts potassium iodide, sodium bromide and potassium fluoride. Iodine and bromine sometimes may have the same or very similar biological functions.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway to know if my batch is the higher iodine formula?
At least in USA it is the ALL-FOR-REEF in the new white bottles with the dosing cap.

There may be a slight overlap with the old bottles elsewhere but in general the All-For-Reef with higher iodide concentration is in the round white bottles.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At least in USA it is the ALL-FOR-REEF in the new white bottles with the dosing cap.

There may be a slight overlap with the old bottles elsewhere but in general the All-For-Reef with higher iodide concentration is in the round white bottles.
Thank you for the clarification. Mine is the power version, 1600g.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

The batch numbers 141.. or higher for the first three of the five numbers. I think for USA it is mainly batches starting with 2....

Batch 04716 is still the lower concentration.

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New can has chocolate chips plus yellow discoloration of the plastic/paper.
Is this the new formula?
Is this can safe to use?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 65
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New can has chocolate chips plus yellow discoloration of the plastic/paper.
Is this the new formula?
Is this can safe to use?
Yes, this should be the new formula. If you give me the batch number I can tell for sure.

Both, the yellow discoloration and the "chocolate chips" is iodine. The apparent size of the "chocolate chips" is because the iodine is bleeding out and coloring surrounding salts and appears larger and more in this way.

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this should be the new formula. If you give me the batch number I can tell for sure.

Both, the yellow discoloration and the "chocolate chips" is iodine. The apparent size of the "chocolate chips" is because the iodine is bleeding out and coloring surrounding salts and appears larger and more in this way.

Attached are pictures of the can number.

Thank you so much. I was on my last 200mls for dosing and didn't want to goto something new.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ruh roh...:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

lot#13415
Oh, I am sorry my guess was wrong, it still is a batch with lower iodine concentration. The different look may be a result of storage and storage conditions. Like already mentioned, the discolorations are iodine, this still is correct.

The batches with the double iodine concentrations started a few weeks later. It are all batches with batch numbers 141.. and higher.

Again, I am sorry for my wrong first guess.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back