Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What is your opinion on iodine concentration in Tropic Marin All-For-Reef?

• Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef could be higher

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is exactly right

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is rather on the high side

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

cosicologne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hans Werner! both me and my brother use All for reef and we are happy about it. Both our Iodines where to low in the recent ICP and we added A elements and did another icp. I then had to manually dose iodine to get it above 36. So i think a formula with increased iodine is perfect and much appreciated!

We are living in germany. when can we expect the new batches to arrive? greetings

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I already noticed that you are situated in Germany, presumably in Cologne, right? :)

We have already increased the iodine concentrations in the newer batches in Germany. Any batches starting with 2.... should have the higher iodine concentrations.

My colleague told me that we will have new bottles with new labeling.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I already noticed that you are situated in Germany, presumably in Cologne, right? :)

We have already increased the iodine concentrations in the newer batches in Germany. Any batches starting with 2.... should have the higher iodine concentrations.

My colleague told me that we will have new bottles with new labeling.

Any updates on how much Trace A we can add to existing All for Reef to match the new iodine concentration?

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on how much Trace A we can add to existing All for Reef to match the new iodine concentration?
I think the new batches should not be available in the USA yet since shipment will need some weeks and I am not sure whether any new batches have already been sent to the USA.

Since the rate of iodine conumption may vary from tank to tank, there is no fixed ratio of A- Elements to be added. Normally the iodine concentration of All-For-Reef alone should be sufficient for most tanks, this is our goal. However, some tank may need an additional dosage of A- Elements. Please check this from time to time with ICP-OES to be sure.

cosicologne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes you are right;) thanks for sharing the information! We use the 1600g Poweder version. Does this "batch number 2..." count for the poweder too? Thanks again!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the new batches should not be available in the USA yet since shipment will need some weeks and I am not sure whether any new batches have already been sent to the USA.

Since the rate of iodine conumption may vary from tank to tank, there is no fixed ratio of A- Elements to be added. Normally the iodine concentration of All-For-Reef alone should be sufficient for most tanks, this is our goal. However, some tank may need an additional dosage of A- Elements. Please check this from time to time with ICP-OES to be sure.

I just mean, how much iodine did you add to the "old" All for Reef recipe to arrive at the "new" recipe with higher iodine concentration? I have two 1L bottle of the "old" All for Reef, and I would like to try boosting the iodine level in those bottles to match the "new" recipe. Did you just add more of the Trace A component? Did you add straight iodine with no other trace elements?

I have ICP tested and dosed iodine in my tank already, but I would like to see if the boosted iodine levels in the "new" recipe All for Reef might eliminate the need to dose iodine separately in my tank. I realize that all tanks require different amounts, but I'm specifically wondering how much you added so that I can add to my existing bottles of All for Reef while I wait for the "new" recipe to arrive in the US.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing AFR by hand. Yesterday I added 220ml to 5g of RO water. My Litermeter adds 3L/day of RO. Now those 3L will also contain around 35ml of AFR. I am hoping for more stability as the 3L is added in 150 small doses over 24 hours. Can you see any problems in doing it this way? @Hans-Werner

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing AFR by hand. Yesterday I added 220ml to 5g of RO water. My Litermeter adds 3L/day of RO. Now those 3L will also contain around 35ml of AFR. I am hoping for more stability as the 3L is added in 150 small doses over 24 hours. Can you see any problems in doing it this way? @Hans-Werner

Why not just use a dosing pump?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a dosing pump. My question is: Is diluting AFR a problem?

I meant a dosing pump dedicated to AFR, but I get your point. :D

They mentioned previously that AFR shouldn't be diluted because the lower concentration would allow for bacteria growth (and discoloration) in the solution. They said it shouldn't be an issue, and if you go through it fast enough, there might not be time for significant bacteria growth anyway. But it was recommended to NOT dilute it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant a dosing pump dedicated to AFR, but I get your point. :D

They mentioned previously that AFR shouldn't be diluted because the lower concentration would allow for bacteria growth (and discoloration) in the solution. They said it shouldn't be an issue, and if you go through it fast enough, there might not be time for significant bacteria growth anyway. But it was recommended to NOT dilute it.
Now, see I heard otherwise. @Lou Ekus said that it could be used without problem diluted in a reservoir just as one would use kalkwasser, I just couldn't find the post to confirm.

Bacterial growth was my concern as you mentioned, but I think that would be more of a concern with acetate rather than formate. I refill the reservoir every six days so with any luck I won't end up with something that looks like kombucha in there lol :D

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, see I heard otherwise. @Lou Ekus said that it could be used without problem diluted in a reservoir just as one would use kalkwasser, I just couldn't find the post to confirm.

Bacterial growth was my concern as you mentioned, but I think that would be more of a concern with acetate rather than formate. I refill the reservoir every six days so with any luck I won't end up with something that looks like kombucha in there lol :D
Since I have given that recommendation, my team in Germany has advised me that it is most likely best to keep the AFR at full strength for exactly this reason. I apologize for the confusion. When I gave that advise, I believed it to be true. That all being said, I know many people who have taken that advise, and it seems that any bacterial growth seems to be kept to a minimum in those applications. Also, the quicker the AFR that is diluted gets used up, the less chance you see any bacterial growth. I had changed my recommendations in relation to this. But we still have lots of people doing this with no issues. So a lot seems to depend on how quickly the top off water is replenished.
Again, sorry for the confusion.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have given that recommendation, my team in Germany has advised me that it is most likely best to keep the AFR at full strength for exactly this reason. I apologize for the confusion. When I gave that advise, I believed it to be true. That all being said, I know many people who have taken that advise, and it seems that any bacterial growth seems to be kept to a minimum in those applications. Also, the quicker the AFR that is diluted gets used up, the less chance you see any bacterial growth. I had changed my recommendations in relation to this. But we still have lots of people doing this with no issues. So a lot seems to depend on how quickly the top off water is replenished.
Again, sorry for the confusion.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll go through what I mixed up in six days. I'll keep an eye on the reservoir and report back if it gets funky in there.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this "batch number 2..." count for the poweder too?
Yes, the powder too. :)
I just mean, how much iodine did you add to the "old" All for Reef recipe to arrive at the "new" recipe with higher iodine concentration? I have two 1L bottle of the "old" All for Reef, and I would like to try boosting the iodine level in those bottles to match the "new" recipe. Did you just add more of the Trace A component? Did you add straight iodine with no other trace elements?
We have increased the complete trace A- component part and kept the proportions of the elements in this part since other elements were low too.

The increase is equal to adding 50 ml of A- Elements each liter of AFR solution.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have increased the complete trace A- component part and kept the proportions of the elements in this part since other elements were low too.

The increase is equal to adding 50 ml of A- Elements each liter of AFR solution.

Perfect! Thank you!

cosicologne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

truly awesome because its exactly what i need :) thx

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I could not find the new concentration in different shops in Germany, so I had to buy the old one.
Question can I had Iodine and any other elements that are lacking in my Icp test, directly in my all for reef prepared solution?
If I understand it right, I can also add 50 ml of the element's A per liter of all for reef?
Did you also increase the element's B or only the A?
Other question, there is a chance that you could add also rubidium in the future? I read many positive testimonies about it and different methods start to use it now . Would be nice to see it in the all for reef .

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add additional K+ and A- Elements to All-For-Reef.

For adding iodine I recommend to add A- Elements only.

Our salts contain good levels of rubidium. Neither ICP-OES analysis of the well known laboratories nor test kits test for rubidium. Do you have numbers at which levels dosing rubidium should make sense?

Rubidium is an alkaline metal element, like lithium, sodium and potassium, and a strong and rapid depletion of these monovalent ions is very unlikely.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question - is there any documented / reviewed information that shows dosing iodine is important to our reefs (or a specific type be it soft, lps, sps, or mixed)?

Had to go back through my notes / Apex log to see when I first started to dose TM AFR and it appears April 3, 2020. This was using the DIY recipe. I should at this time I was using TM Bio Actif salt but later switched to TM Pro Reef starting around the first of the 2021 year. I am using the powder version of AFR now.

TM AFR, Pro Reef Salt. ATI ICP results for Iodine below. I did add a bit of iodine after the recommendations came back consistent but do not recall continued dosing as I didn't see anything change in my display.

Edit: I have not sent off an ATI ICP this year but will be doing so next week. Will update after.

1647279998740.png

Back