OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope it will work either way. I've done it both ways.

I have the tube off the bottom so it's closer to the water level, just so it isn't so loud when trickling into the sump.
The problem I have is that the clogging is at the end of this tube which you also have above the water level.
Its like some kind of "clot" is being built there.

Thats why I thought it might be better to have no tube there.. but yeah.. when the ATO is still flushingit, there shoul be no problem I guess...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. The "clot" seems to be carbonate, or just dried out baking soda(I dose Randy's DIY 2 part).

I do not get that issue with the T. It washes down the end of the line, and with the positive pressure from the dosing pump, water cannot be pushes back up the dosing line. So the end of the dosing line is always wet, it doesn't dry out like it normally would just hanging over the sump.

It's the dried out carbonate that causes the "clot".

Your ATO dumps many more gallons then your dosing line does. between the dosing liquid being right at the end of the line, and the ATO constantly washing down the line, it stays wet, and cannot dry out and "clot" up.

I'm assuming your ATO goes off several times a day? I know mine does, and I go through about 5 gallons a week in evap.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah exactly that is my problem actually.
But well, if that was the solution for you then it would also work for me.

Yes, my ATO goes off maybe 3-4 times a day as far as I remember. So it should wash out the tube.

But, is the "dosing" the same as it was when dosing directly? I mean the 1ml has to be pushed through a longer distance. But it will get flushed out anyway I guess.. So it should still be safe that all dosing solution will end up in the tank

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have never doses that little, I have also never noticed a difference in dosing.

I think the smallest amount I've dosed since doing it this way is about 3ml at a time. Never noticed any difference. As you said, if it was in the line and didn't drip out, the next time the ATO fires off, it will wash it down into the tank.

Either way it's better then not getting does at all when the end of the dosing line is gunked up.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah of course.. maybe I just dose 3ml at once then and skip the 3-times-a-day schedule.. (if I see something changing)

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah of course.. maybe I just dose 3ml at once then and skip the 3-times-a-day schedule.. (if I see something changing)
Wouldn't longer interval of not dosing cause the evaporation and deposition to be more?

I dose from 1.5ml to 5ml of afr every hour. There is no clogging at all.

How about the inlet in the dosing container? Any residues there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't longer interval of not dosing cause the evaporation and deposition to be more?

I dose from 1.5ml to 5ml of afr every hour. There is no clogging at all.
yeah.. I think if you dose 1ml every hour then there is no clogging.
But I do have to dose 3-4ml daily... means I only dose all 4-5 hrs 1ml
and I guess that is causing the clogging...

It is only a 20g tank and I cannot dose more actually.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. I think if you dose 1ml every hour then there is no clogging.
But I do have to dose 3-4ml daily... means I only dose all 4-5 hrs 1ml
and I guess that is causing the clogging...

It is only a 20g tank and I cannot dose more actually.
Perhaps you can dilute it and dose more frequently.

However, if you don't have any solid build-up at the inlet and outlet of the dosing pipe, I don't think evaporation is the cause.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you can dilute it and dose more frequently.

However, if you don't have any solid build-up at the inlet and outlet of the dosing pipe, I don't think evaporation is the cause.
Well, thats correct! I have never considered to dilute it and dose more frequently..
The thing is, I would have to dilute it quite heavy. And on a basis which I can keep when I do have to mix new AFR.
I would have to dilute the 160g in 7.2 Litres of water so I can dose 1ml every hour about 24hrs
Well it is possible :D

Or I just use 20g powder for the 900ml RODI water. So that would be diluted by 8 times.. means I can dose 24ml daily instead of 3ml

Last edited:

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started dosing AFR I saw similar threads. Thus, I diluted my solution and haven’t had an issue yet. Going on 7 months now. I just diluted the mixture by 100% and dose 2x the amount.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started dosing AFR I saw similar threads. Thus, I diluted my solution and haven’t had an issue yet. Going on 7 months now. I just diluted the mixture by 100% and dose 2x the amount.
thanks for the tip.
I will def. first try the t-connection and let the ATO also flush the dosing tube.
if that does not work (I am sure it will) I will try to dilute.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dosing pump will leave the dosing line with positive pressure. Basically meaning they cannot siphon(the pinch rollers keep pressure on the line before and after the rollers). Unless the roller heads are worn out, this is not an issue.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dosing pump will leave the dosing line with positive pressure. Basically meaning they cannot siphon(the pinch rollers keep pressure on the line before and after the rollers). Unless the roller heads are worn out, this is not an issue.
Still, I feel more "safe" when I see what is being dosed instead of dosing underwater.
Will try the T-Connection first

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed the waterline comment.

Well not missed it, but was thinking the ATO line, not the actual water line in the sump. Yes I would never submerge my dosing or ATO line regardless.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing this would make me really nervous. A back siphon through the doser is possible if the doser or dosing conatiner are below the waterline. And if they are above the waterline you could dump all the AFR in to the tank with a siphon from the doser.

either siphon = bad news
Not if you have a quality doser. Back siphon simply isn't possible.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just grabbed the T-Connection or lets say Y-Connection and everything works.. lets see if the clogging stops. Thanks!

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I noticed the build up on the tip of my dosing tube as well with AFR. Every week or so I just break it off with my fingers and throw it away. It doesn't seem to build up enough to clog it, I dose 3x a day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back