all over my glass?

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to get a pic through a magnifying glass but here is some art work. They are covering my glass after I bought a frag rack covered in lepto. Some run around fast and some seem to not move. I believe the long skinny type are copepods but Im hoping the small round seed looking things aren't a bad hitchhiker.

08LabJy.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom right looks like munnid isopod.

Top right a copepod ?

Top left I can never remember spelling but some kind of " octhopod"?

I've got some octhopod looking things that grey/black/ whitish and just detrivores/ eat algae etc but got some little black bugs that look similar shape and believe they black bugs and eating my polyps ony green slimer.

But where you find these pods and what they eating is often a clue about them.as if you got tasty corals and they on glass eating film algae then points to not harmful possibly but if see them in and on or around your corals then bad guys ,I mean eating coral and not just algae from base or dying tissue etc as should be able to tell if zoom in on phone

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These them little octhopods or whatever they called I can never remember,looks like your drawing on left and I only ever see them on sand and rocks eating algae and the likes

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These them little octhopods or whatever they called I can never remember,looks like your drawing on left and I only ever see them on sand and rocks eating algae and the likes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Impossible to get a pic through a magnifying glass but here is some art work. They are covering my glass after I bought a frag rack covered in lepto. Some run around fast and some seem to not move. I believe the long skinny type are copepods but Im hoping the small round seed looking things aren't a bad hitchhiker.

08LabJy.jpg
Free food for fish and corals. Just assure you have none that look like pillbugs or roly polys

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And this larger pod is a ampripod which you will come across bo doubt and about 2 minute mark in video catches a smaller munnid isopod like I believe you drawin bottom right picture

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free food for fish and corals. Just assure you have none that look like pillbugs or roly polys
In my display tank, I did find what looked like 5 tiny pill bugs under a ceramic disc. I squished them all and havent seen any since that time. What would those be so I can keep an eye out? sowbug?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

08LabJy.jpg
Top and bottom left look like ostracods to me. I had them all over in my 75-gallon FOWLR before I tore it down in preparation for the upgrade.

+1 top right looks like copepods, bottom right looks like either munid isopod or gammarid amphipod.

All of these are typically considered beneficial clean-up crew and free fish food. My 4.5" purple tang would occasionally pick out an individual ostracod on the glass and eat it even though it seemed so tiny in comparison.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These the little black bugs that eating my polyps on my green slimer,well black bugs and whitefish bugs both eating the polyps but looks like the black bugs eating the whitish bugs lol.
Everything eats everything in my tank .I find it truly fascinating ^_^
Maybe @vetteguy53081 on about these little buggers.
What I've researched about these is the larger black bugs can be eliminated easier than the smaller black bugs as they go inside the polyps when try dip the coral.
And usually takes a intank treatment to kill them but usually kills all your bugs in tank at same time .can't remember name of meds at moment sorry

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

08LabJy.jpg

Thanks Plankton, you'll want to get him out before he steals your crabby patties.

giphy-3.gif

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

These the little black bugs that eating my polyps on my green slimer,well black bugs and whitefish bugs both eating the polyps but looks like the black bugs eating the whitish bugs lol.
Everything eats everything in my tank .I find it truly fascinating ^_^
Maybe @vetteguy53081 on about these little buggers.
What I've researched about these is the larger black bugs can be eliminated easier than the smaller black bugs as they go inside the polyps when try dip the coral.
And usually takes a intank treatment to kill them but usually kills all your bugs in tank at same time .can't remember name of meds at moment sorry

Black bugs are not good and a nightmare to battle. Dips have little effects on them.
Dr G's or Veterinarian issued dog pills known as Interceptor is only real effective remedy to taking them down

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In my display tank, I did find what looked like 5 tiny pill bugs under a ceramic disc. I squished them all and havent seen any since that time. What would those be so I can keep an eye out? sowbug?
Those are isopods and can be problem childs'

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black bugs are not good and a nightmare to battle. Dips have little effects on them.
Dr G's or Veterinarian issued dog pills known as Interceptor is only real effective remedy to taking them down
Thanks .
Yeah just found the thread I started few months ago where you and couple others recommended interceptor and that Dr g's stuff

I get more on the green slimer at night but they got no fear and alot them out through the day nibbling on the polyps lol as my wrasse and cbb cruising around looming for snacks which they do pay attention to occasionally but not as much as I would like tbh.
Maybe I feed them to well

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back