all over my glass?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being inundated with notifications and seeing this being posted on/bringing forward tons of threads all over the forum rn. I'm sure everyone who can help will be happy to, but going about getting it in front of folks this way feels really spammy TBH.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being inundated with notifications and seeing this being posted on/bringing forward tons of threads all over the forum rn. I'm sure everyone who can help will be happy to, but going about getting it in front of folks this way feels really spammy TBH.
Ha ha thought was just me getting several notifications of the thread but no words to go with it and I'm like ummm what's going on but yeah @Jon Patrick/jtone just bump that one thread you started in every so often like every 4 hours maybe to get more eyes on it.but I think Dr g's or Interceptor is what is recommended, well from thread I started same as you and other threads read same.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am a little late to this thread, but here is what I have to share.
Impossible to get a pic through a magnifying glass but here is some art work. They are covering my glass after I bought a frag rack covered in lepto. Some run around fast and some seem to not move. I believe the long skinny type are copepods but Im hoping the small round seed looking things aren't a bad hitchhiker.

08LabJy.jpg
The skinny ones on the top right look like Copepods.

Copepod:
5280 Pods Blend | Copepods for sale | Live Foods - AlgaeBarn

The legged one on the bottom right might be a Munnid isopod or Amphipod, does it have a curved or straight back?

Munnid isopod:
seahorse.org - Tankmates

Amphipod:
Amphipoda - Wikipedia

The round ones on the left look like Ostracods.

Ostracods:
freshwater ostracods

Ostracod Research at the Lake Biwa Museum, Robin J. Smith

All of these are harmless “pods” that will graze on detritus (more so for the amphipods) and serve as live food for larger organisms.

Top left I can never remember spelling but some kind of " octhopod"?
Ostropods
Close; Ostracods (Ostracoda), also known as Seed shrimp.

Thanks Plankton, you'll want to get him out before he steals your crabby patties.

giphy-3.gif
I guess someone already noticed, but I'm 99% sure this is top left.
1645667815281.png
Copepods are, in fact, the inspiration for Sheldon Plankton; besides the prominent pair of antennae, both have a single eye!

I was able to get a pic of what I thought looked like a pill bug!

ERxhQss.jpg
Chiton. Good guy.
Probably not. Chitons have many shell patterns, example below.

Screenshot_20220223-185119.png
Could be, but only if it has visible legs. And I don't think what look like eyes are actually eyes.
I am convinced @jiggysmb’s pill bug is an isopod. Limpets have conical shells, tapering in the center, and are not as intricately decorated as OP’s bug. Chitons look more similar, due to the shell segments. However, the “eye” placement and patterning of OP’s bug match up exactly with that of “Sand skater” isopods (Sphaeromatidae or Serolidae) (which are harmless grazers) as opposed to a Chiton. Plus, these “Sand skaters” are capable of completely concealing their limbs underneath their bodies.

Sand skater isopods:

ID of Unknown Microfauna - Reef Central Online Community

100_7634.jpg

@jiggysmb ’s “Pill bug:”

Other Serolid isopods:
What is this? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

1646903305638.png

File:DSC03900c.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Chitons:
Chiton infestation - Reef Central Online Community | Infestations, Culture  tank, Reef

The shallow-water chitons (Mollusca, Polyplacophora) of Caldera, Region of  Atacama, northern Chile

Pictures of live specimens of Tonicia. A, Tonicia chilensis (southern... |  Download Scientific Diagram

Limpets:
Limpets

Tank Cleaners: Limpets - Reef Cleaners

The Sphaeromatidae is very closely related to chitons.
Isopods and Chitons are about as distantly related as humans are to either of those animals. Isopods are Arthropods, in the Crustacean subphylum alongside copepods, amphipods, ostracods, barnacles, crabs, shrimp, lobsters, etc. Chitons their own class of Mollusks, alongside clams, oysters, scallops, mussels, octopuses, squid, cuttlefish, nautiluses, snails, slugs, etc.

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast that serolid isopod on the pebbles looks massive,imagine sunbathing on beach and it came out water and started crawling on you,makes me shiver just thinking of it ha ha.
And thanks for clarification on spelling but I've been told 100 times or more.im sure I forget again.as a whole I got good memory but sone reason always forgot spelling of these little buggers and I believe I got lots of them in my tank.seems they set up shop on my sandbed but only really see them in one area to far right of tank lol

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like not all of the pictures got through on my post. Even though it is awfully redundant, I’ll just post them anyways:
Sand skater isopods:
1646925815180.jpeg

1646925867442.jpeg

@WheatToast that serolid isopod on the pebbles looks massive,imagine sunbathing on beach and it came out water and started crawling on you,makes me shiver just thinking of it ha ha.
Please don’t make me think about that :oops:
1646926005919.jpeg

And thanks for clarification on spelling but I've been told 100 times or more.im sure I forget again.as a whole I got good memory but sone reason always forgot spelling of these little buggers and I believe I got lots of them in my tank.seems they set up shop on my sandbed but only really see them in one area to far right of tank lol
No problem! Nice to know that your Ostracod population is doing well too!

Bugs. U got the bugs man. Good little crustacean bugs. Lol
D
All the good pods :D!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am a little late to this thread, but here is what I have to share.

The skinny ones on the top right look like Copepods.

Copepod:
5280 Pods Blend | Copepods for sale | Live Foods - AlgaeBarn

The legged one on the bottom right might be a Munnid isopod or Amphipod, does it have a curved or straight back?

Munnid isopod:
seahorse.org - Tankmates

Amphipod:
Amphipoda - Wikipedia

The round ones on the left look like Ostracods.

Ostracods:
freshwater ostracods

Ostracod Research at the Lake Biwa Museum, Robin J. Smith

All of these are harmless “pods” that will graze on detritus (more so for the amphipods) and serve as live food for larger organisms.

Close; Ostracods (Ostracoda), also known as Seed shrimp.

Copepods are, in fact, the inspiration for Sheldon Plankton; besides the prominent pair of antennae, both have a single eye!

I am convinced @jiggysmb’s pill bug is an isopod. Limpets have conical shells, tapering in the center, and are not as intricately decorated as OP’s bug. Chitons look more similar, due to the shell segments. However, the “eye” placement and patterning of OP’s bug match up exactly with that of “Sand skater” isopods (Sphaeromatidae or Serolidae) (which are harmless grazers) as opposed to a Chiton. Plus, these “Sand skaters” are capable of completely concealing their limbs underneath their bodies.

Sand skater isopods:

ID of Unknown Microfauna - Reef Central Online Community

100_7634.jpg

Other Serolid isopods:
What is this? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

1646903305638.png

File:DSC03900c.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Chitons:
Chiton infestation - Reef Central Online Community | Infestations, Culture  tank, Reef

The shallow-water chitons (Mollusca, Polyplacophora) of Caldera, Region of  Atacama, northern Chile

Pictures of live specimens of Tonicia. A, Tonicia chilensis (southern... |  Download Scientific Diagram

Limpets:
Limpets

Tank Cleaners: Limpets - Reef Cleaners

Isopods and Chitons are about as distantly related as humans are to either of those animals. Isopods are Arthropods, in the Crustacean subphylum alongside copepods, amphipods, ostracods, barnacles, crabs, shrimp, lobsters, etc. Chitons their own class of Mollusks, alongside clams, oysters, scallops, mussels, octopuses, squid, cuttlefish, nautiluses, snails, slugs, etc.
First off, very informative post, thank you. Second, I had no idea there were chitons that looked that aesthetically pleasing (I especially like specimens B, D, H, and I). I'll have to do some more research on them now.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast that serolid isopod on the pebbles looks massive,imagine sunbathing on beach and it came out water and started crawling on you,
yeah, wake up on the beach with this on your leg. I hate it when that happens

1646927681050.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big ugly buggers that's for sure bit serve a purpose in the chain that we call life hey ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-160214_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-160214_Google.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 35

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, very informative post, thank you.
Thanks!
Second, I had no idea there were chitons that looked that aesthetically pleasing (I especially like specimens B, D, H, and I). I'll have to do some more research on them now.
Agreed! Sorry if this is a little off topic for the thread, but here are some other awesome looking Chitons (yes, image 5 does show a Chiton):
Purple chiton (!!!) - Invertebrate Forum - Nano-Reef Community
Monterey Bay Aquarium — BIOLOGY: so, colors- LINED CHITON: i wanna be...
Blue lined chiton (Tonicella undocaerulea) on pink calcarious algae. Browning  Pass, Port Hardy, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. North East  Pacific Ocean Stock Photo - Alamy
Real Monstrosities: Chiton

Cryptoplax sp (Cryptoplacidae) - a chiton with reduced pla… | Flickr

… And then there's Cryptochiton stelleri, the Gumboot chiton, the largest of all the Chitons...
IT'S ALIVE! Pac-Man of the Sea? - YouTube

Big ugly buggers that's for sure bit serve a purpose in the chain that we call life hey ^_^
Hmmm…
https://eattheplanet.org/land-shrimp-a-small-relative-of-our-favorite-seafood/

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopods and Chitons are about as distantly related as humans are to either of those animals.
You know, you can correct a person without resorting to hyperbole.

We were all just trying to help the OP figure out what they are.

There happens to be a genera in the family Sphaeromatidae called Chitonopsis and I made a mistake.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back