Almost time to add my first Corals, which one should I choose?:)

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are on the easy side and look great with flowing short tentacles.
I like zoas but find the smaller polyps tend to grow slower ( I like this because they don’t overtake others… I really hate that I ever got nirvanas. Keep in mind if they are lower price it’s possibly because they grow very quickly.
I also love the neon green toadstool.
GSP is cool but don’t place it on your main rock unless that’s all you want. I grow mine on the back glass
Really there are lots of options and yeah, softies are easier but personally I’d say try whatever catches your eye.. just don’t spend big bucks on it until you know your tank can keep it alive.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are on the easy side and look great with flowing short tentacles.
I like zoas but find the smaller polyps tend to grow slower ( I like this because they don’t overtake others… I really hate that I ever got nirvanas. Keep in mind if they are lower price it’s possibly because they grow very quickly.
I also love the neon green toadstool.
GSP is cool but don’t place it on your main rock unless that’s all you want. I grow mine on the back glass
Really there are lots of options and yeah, softies are easier but personally I’d say try whatever catches your eye.. just don’t spend big bucks on it until you know your tank can keep it alive.
Thanks for the feedback ! There's in fact a lot of options haha but I really like monticap its gonna be hard to stay away from that one for a longtime but Il'l try going 3 soft, 3 lps then 3 sps has like a plan for my tank

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, zoas and Kenya trees all do well in a non dosed tank. If you want, dosing opens up so much more. Birdsnest can be super easy. Had luck with Hollywood stunner chalice. But elegance has my heart.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the 3-month mark, I will be adding 3 small frags to my tank, which is currently 2 months and 8 days old.

What would be a good addition to a shallow reef tank? Make me 3 frag list!
I would recommend a leather. It was my first coral and has done great great ever since I put it in. Another option is xenia but it grows fast so need to be careful!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather get large
They are easy to frag and keep their size under control. I removed half this sinularia and received store credit from my lfs 6 months ago.
82F20F28-1A60-4857-B1B6-44995EDF7B18.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to frag and keep their size under control. I removed half this sinularia and received store credit from my lfs 6 months ago.
82F20F28-1A60-4857-B1B6-44995EDF7B18.jpeg
Mine looks just like that. Almost ready to frag it.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to frag my Sarcophyton twice a year, and it isn’t as easy to get rid of the frags where I’m from.

The problem with them is that when you keep the mother colony and keep cutting it it’ll get thicker and thicker, and in turn grow larger and faster because you can’t easily cut through a very thick base.

At this point the only reason why we keep it is because it’s one of the original corals we purchased 16 years ago when we go into this hobby, and it’s a tough call to make even though we should probably let it go.

I still LOVE it.
IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to frag my Sarcophyton twice a year, and it isn’t as easy to get rid of the frags where I’m from.

The problem with them is that when you keep the mother colony and keep cutting it it’ll get thicker and thicker, and in turn grow larger and faster because you can’t easily cut through a very thick base.

At this point the only reason why we keep it is because it’s one of the original corals we purchased 16 years ago when we go into this hobby, and it’s a tough call to make even though we should probably let it go.

I still LOVE it.
IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg
Looks awesome !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back