Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer from Germany here

Since I don't really know how to introduce myself I'll just write down my aquaristic history and a few preferences. I'll try not to ramble :grinning-face-with-sweat: .

-got a Corn Snake with 16, thought aquariums were stupid because everyone had one
-initially liking physics, chemistry and astronomy I later also came to appreciate biology
-when I was like 23 to 27 or so, a friend told me that there are these living fossils called Triops - only Artemia was known to me at that point, so my mind was blown and I felt like a child again
-the Triops needed plants and also I was looking for some fish to go with them
-a mixed Triops tank didn't work out but I got into Aquascaping
-at some point I got a 240 L (66 gallon) tank, after having had a lot of smaller tanks
-I found a job at an online store for freshwater Aquariums and Aquascaping
-I don't know what caused it but some day I just went out to buy a Xenia and put it into a 5 or 10 L tank (1 to 3 gallons) and stuck a bulb onto it
-mind blown: it looked totally awful colour wise but all the tiny critters and generally much higher bio diversity in salt water dragged me into reefing
-the tanks got bigger and I was building my own LED lamps, soon the 240 L (66 gallon) fresh water tank was converted to salt water + filter tank
-when I was like 37 the Corn Snake died
-I'm now 41 and a few years ago I bought a 360 L (95 gallon) pristine condition clear glass pool tank from my friend for a rediculously low price - the old tank was long but kinda 2-dimensional and I wanted to get rid of my noobish "coral wall" and scape something that had visual depth, also the tank itself was ugly
-that's where we are now, my LED builds are at a point where I make my own SMD electronics for it and run them with an Arduino/Clone with graphical display and - so the gods of statics and landlordery will - I'm playing with the thought of at least a 1000 L (260 gallon) tank after I got my mind blown here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mantis-400-gallon-pennisula-reef.862276/page-3#post-10725119
-this forum was known to me before but all the great tank builds I could use for inspiration made me sign up now

Now some preferences about reefing:
-I like corals, fish not so much
-well, some small and less flashy fish are ok, like blennys
-maio fauna and micro fauna/flora is cool
-the tiny brittle stars are ultra cute
-I even like some kinds of spaghetti worms (the bigger ones where all the spaghetti are originating at the mouth)
-so far I have had some of the simpler Montiporas also but I actually prefer LPS and Softies, I wouldn't rule out some Acroporas and especially Monti plates in a future tank (like the one from the link :star-struck: )
-less is more - no coral soup but lager stocks a of few corals...I'm kinda failing at this, though :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I'm in my lunch break right now, I'm going to edit this post later and add some pictures of the tanks, as far as I can make some sort of "history" from the pictures I will unearth.
Also I think I will use this forum for some photographical and rough chemical documentation over the years, from this stage onwards.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Germany:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back