Alternate Photon v2 mounting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Josh, did you ever finish making this mount? I'm thinking of doing the same on a 32 inch V2 and want to use the 1x1 extruded aluminum with 2 arms. Wondering how strong to make the 90s. Thanks.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing for mounting ? Looking for clean ideas behind my reefer 170 stand.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to follow up this post with some good news! We since developed the BOT mounting system with help from a local boating furniture manufacturer- this stuff is tough and fits the Photon V2 perfectly!

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went ahead and ordered everything to build this except I’m using the 1 x 1 beams instead of the 2 x 1 to hold up a V2+ 50. Did anyone have issues with the 1 x 1? And does the back beam have to touch the floor or does it only need to be supported by the stand?

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went ahead and ordered everything to build this except I’m using the 1 x 1 beams instead of the 2 x 1 to hold up a V2+ 50. Did anyone have issues with the 1 x 1? And does the back beam have to touch the floor or does it only need to be supported by the stand?
I used the 1 x 1 beams to hang my 32 inch model. I used the larger angle brackets that take 2 screws on both the vertical piece and the horizontal piece and I have to say this thing is solid. You could hang a lot of weight on a pair of these brackets without any deflection and easily any of the photon lights including a pair or extra T5 or LED strips.

As for the vertical beams, they do not have to touch the floor. I have mine mounted to my wood stand with some adjustable metal clips so I can raise or lower the height if needed. Hope that helps! If you want some pictures, let me know.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 1 x 1 beams to hang my 32 inch model. I used the larger angle brackets that take 2 screws on both the vertical piece and the horizontal piece and I have to say this thing is solid. You could hang a lot of weight on a pair of these brackets without any deflection and easily any of the photon lights including a pair or extra T5 or LED strips.

As for the vertical beams, they do not have to touch the floor. I have mine mounted to my wood stand with some adjustable metal clips so I can raise or lower the height if needed. Hope that helps! If you want some pictures, let me know.
I ordered the angle bracket that only takes 1 screw so I hope it performs the same :/.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes I’d appreciate some pictures of the metal clips :)

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the angle bracket that only takes 1 screw so I hope it performs the same :/.
I think you will be fine if you're only hanging the light. Even if you get a little bit of sag, it will still hold and look great. Pictures aren't great, but hope it helps.
15863581708867602977714134346033.jpg
15863582728355522819544860370143.jpg

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine if you're only hanging the light. Even if you get a little bit of sag, it will still hold and look great. Pictures aren't great, but hope it helps.
15863581708867602977714134346033.jpg
15863582728355522819544860370143.jpg
So those are the same clips from above? Because I think I ordered those. Also did you use the side plates or just the one angle joint?

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those are the same clips from above? Because I think I ordered those. Also did you use the side plates or just the one angle joint?
I used just the large angle brackets at the top. No side plates. To mount to the stand, I used another type of angle bracket that has 2 holes on both sides of the angle so that I could make sure it stayed straight up and down. Probably was a little overkill, but it worked.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used just the large angle brackets at the top. No side plates. To mount to the stand, I used another type of angle bracket that has 2 holes on both sides of the angle so that I could make sure it stayed straight up and down. Probably was a little overkill, but it worked.
And those stand mounts help raise and lower?

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight were you guys able to get the washer onto the hanging mount for the reef breeder? If I tighten it too much I can only get one washer into the t-slot and the other won't fit.
Are you talking about the part that threads onto the studs that stick up out of the photon V2 that the wire hangers attached to? I was only able to get a few threads on those before I wasn't able to slide the second one into the T-slot. I was worried at first, but it's been hanging for a year now with no issues and when I pull down it doesn't slip off. I kind of wish I could put some extensions on them, but at the same time I like how clean it looks nice and tight. Ultimately I'll probably go find a new stud with the slider that fits into the V2 with a longer post, but it's working for me right now with no complaints.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the part that threads onto the studs that stick up out of the photon V2 that the wire hangers attached to? I was only able to get a few threads on those before I wasn't able to slide the second one into the T-slot. I was worried at first, but it's been hanging for a year now with no issues and when I pull down it doesn't slip off. I kind of wish I could put some extensions on them, but at the same time I like how clean it looks nice and tight. Ultimately I'll probably go find a new stud with the slider that fits into the V2 with a longer post, but it's working for me right now with no complaints.
I can send some your way for the cost of shipping, we have longer T slot bolts available, and include those with our new Back Of Tank mounts.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can send some your way for the cost of shipping, we have longer T slot bolts available, and include those with our new Back Of Tank mounts.
Do you happen to have a part number for the longer t slot bolts? I could have missed it somewhere. I’ve looked at so many post. I’m going to build a rack out of 80/20. I’ve been looking at ideas here on reef2reef for a while now. The rack is going to be for 2, 32 inch V2+, I’ve yet to purchase. Still waiting on the tank to be built. 72x24x28. I’m thinking this rack will basically sit on the tank edges possibly. Can’t decide on 10 or 15 series. And am undecided on the exact design. Some good ideas here though. We do have a local Grainger here. I’m not sure on the threads. Currently been running the 24V2 for 2 years now. I guess I could take it apart, slide the nut out, take some measurements and see about finding the right part. Thanks for any feedback I can get.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back