Alternate Photon v2 mounting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a part number for the longer t slot bolts? I could have missed it somewhere. I’ve looked at so many post. I’m going to build a rack out of 80/20. I’ve been looking at ideas here on reef2reef for a while now. The rack is going to be for 2, 32 inch V2+, I’ve yet to purchase. Still waiting on the tank to be built. 72x24x28. I’m thinking this rack will basically sit on the tank edges possibly. Can’t decide on 10 or 15 series. And am undecided on the exact design. Some good ideas here though. We do have a local Grainger here. I’m not sure on the threads. Currently been running the 24V2 for 2 years now. I guess I could take it apart, slide the nut out, take some measurements and see about finding the right part. Thanks for any feedback I can get.

No part number, it's a custom build specifically for us. We have a couple thousand in stock as we had to do a big run to get them done. I don't recommend either 10 or 15 series. You want to use metric sized 2020 V slot- those work best. We also have the 6mm thread bolts you need for those. We can throw those in with the bolts, free with your light purchase.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No part number, it's a custom build specifically for us. We have a couple thousand in stock as we had to do a big run to get them done. I don't recommend either 10 or 15 series. You want to use metric sized 2020 V slot- those work best. We also have the 6mm thread bolts you need for those. We can throw those in with the bolts, free with your light purchase.
That would be great with the light purchase! That being said, you recommend metric sized 2020 V slot- extrusion. What metric size profile would you recommend?
Im guessing the same size that’s used on the linking rails? Is that close to 1 inch or bigger?
Imagine both the linking rails running the full length of the two fixtures linking them together. This was my plan anyways. Then I’ll figure out the end supports/leg configuration with corner connectors or gussets. I’ll probably make it adjustable also. Thanks for your response. When I order the lights, I’ll email you before hand. At this time, I’m still waiting for the tank to be built. It’s already paid for, just patiently waiting. This corona thing has really screwed things up. Bummer.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been online looking at the 20mm series V slot extrusion. Seems I’m having a hard time find this in lengths over 1500mm. Now 20mm series T slot is a different story. You can find that all around. Is there a specific reason why you suggest the V slot over T slot? I see that T slot hardware will work with V slot. I’ll have to do some more looking around. Possibly local.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been online looking at the 20mm series V slot extrusion. Seems I’m having a hard time find this in lengths over 1500mm. Now 20mm series T slot is a different story. You can find that all around. Is there a specific reason why you suggest the V slot over T slot? I see that T slot hardware will work with V slot. I’ll have to do some more looking around. Possibly local.
T slot is OK. We use V slot mostly because the particular supplier we use for the photon link kits did not have 6mm nuts for the T slot, but the did for the V slot. But if you can find M6 nuts for the T slot then I don't see why not!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this to see if anyone has had success lately as it appears Reefbreeders changed the t-bolt to a much smaller length so there isn't enough room to slide this into the t-slot bar.

Anyone know where we can get screws that slide into the reef breeder units that are longer? I think I can spare the $0.25 cost increase that RB was worried about providing. It will save a return to the store...

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this to see if anyone has had success lately as it appears Reefbreeders changed the t-bolt to a much smaller length so there isn't enough room to slide this into the t-slot bar.

Anyone know where we can get screws that slide into the reef breeder units that are longer? I think I can spare the $0.25 cost increase that RB was worried about providing. It will save a return to the store...
20 series extrusion is what’s made to fit the Photon. I just purchased 2 32’s and the sliders are the same length as my old Photon. I pulled one out of the box just to make sure. Both Studs measure approximately 5mm. That is the actual amount of thread sticking out above the fixture. I’ll take a picture of a 20 series piece of extrusion mated with an M6 Tnut. There’s enough thread sticking out that I can get It fully threaded on the nut. The only place you can find longer T stud sliders is directly through reefbreeders. I did have some of the longer sliders sent with my fixture, Just in case I needed them for my light rack. I’m sure Logan would send you some for the price of shipping. Customer service is really great with him. How long are the studs on your fixture?? Surely they didn’t change things up. I am glad they changed the new fixtures to all black instead of having that gold strip on the front. Here’s a few pics.

Attachments

• D10A40AC-879E-41C9-99C0-5A18E0BE440E.jpeg
    D10A40AC-879E-41C9-99C0-5A18E0BE440E.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 72911028-101E-4435-9A16-BA0DA9C93A22.jpeg
    72911028-101E-4435-9A16-BA0DA9C93A22.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 126
  • C69F9266-F3C0-4720-A8F7-3A98B99D6F20.jpeg
    C69F9266-F3C0-4720-A8F7-3A98B99D6F20.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 1F46F89D-4EA9-4E8B-92CC-CE842B079BD2.jpeg
    1F46F89D-4EA9-4E8B-92CC-CE842B079BD2.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 153

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you contact Reefbreeders, they will send you the longer t-slot bolts for the cost of the screws and shipping, I think I paid around 5 bucks and they sent them to me. I had no problems making the ones it came with fit into the t-slot though with a couple threads of engagement.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Another update. You can buy these custom cut to length here:

https://f-l-8020-store.myshopify.com/

I priced out a mounting system for the Photon 16/24 V2 at $65 shipped, or $120 for a Photon 32/48/50V2 mounting system.

All you need to do is assemble it, the parts come precut. Then just screw it into the back of your tank stand, slide the light in, and presto!

I will be posting a more thorough guide with parts numbers, my saved cart, tips on hiding the power cord, and more. There will be a full DIY video guide.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us Kingzing, it is a fantastic idea and I think that a lot of people will find this to be extremely helpful!
@Reef Breeders I just purchased 2 photon 32 v2+ from BRS they were out of stock on your site. I know they arent the new model but i am saving up for the conversion bits. I will be mounting these on my new 180g build that also has a tslot aluminum stand. I am wondering if you still offer or have an updated link to the mounting arms seen here and a link to the diy video guide? i will be ordering 2 one for each of the lights and this will finally complete my build list. Please let me know if the kit / list / videos are still available. if not i will just go by the parts list in the thread. I would prefer not to have anything attached to the back of the tank or i would order the mounts you offer. THANKS in advance

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Breeders I just purchased 2 photon 32 v2+ from BRS they were out of stock on your site. I know they arent the new model but i am saving up for the conversion bits. I will be mounting these on my new 180g build that also has a tslot aluminum stand. I am wondering if you still offer or have an updated link to the mounting arms seen here and a link to the diy video guide? i will be ordering 2 one for each of the lights and this will finally complete my build list. Please let me know if the kit / list / videos are still available. if not i will just go by the parts list in the thread. I would prefer not to have anything attached to the back of the tank or i would order the mounts you offer. THANKS in advance
If the stands made out of 80/20, it would be really easy to attach to it. Was this what you were thinking? I used 15 series for the main supports and 20 series to attach the light when I built my brackets. Worked out really well. Didn’t go off any parts list. I bought all my extrusion from Tnutz. Was way less expensive than most other places. Decent selection also. I took a few pics right after I got the lights hung. 2 32” Photon v2+. Old pictures, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 6C434404-5EEE-4C71-A73C-E25AA678744A.jpeg
    6C434404-5EEE-4C71-A73C-E25AA678744A.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 01C941FA-114B-4EB8-9AC1-3357EB03A396.jpeg
    01C941FA-114B-4EB8-9AC1-3357EB03A396.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 92
  • BDEDCE34-6928-4FB4-9767-0522836A1990.jpeg
    BDEDCE34-6928-4FB4-9767-0522836A1990.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 77

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stands made out of 80/20, it would be really easy to attach to it. Was this what you were thinking? I used 15 series for the main supports and 20 series to attach the light when I built my brackets. Worked out really well. Didn’t go off any parts list. I bought all my extrusion from Tnutz. Was way less expensive than most other places. Decent selection also. I took a few pics right after I got the lights hung. 2 32” Photon v2+. Old pictures, but you get the idea.
Yes the stand is also 80/20. Looks like I have made myself another project! Thanks for your reply and help!. Here is my stand.
20220215_175148.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the back arms that attach to the stand how far down (below the bottom of the tank) did you go? do you have an aluminum stand that it attached to or wood?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the back arms that attach to the stand how far down (below the bottom of the tank) did you go? do you have an aluminum stand that it attached to or wood?
When I built my stand I made it out of 3” steel square tubing with 1/4” wall thickness. Had it powder coated also. Way overkill, but I didn’t want any center supports for the long span. Simply for easy maintenance. Nice and open front for sump access. I also wanted a steel thickness that would have zero deflection. On the backside of the stand I welded in two pieces of 2” inch square tubing that have a wall thickness of 3/16” of an inch. They are 3”inches tall. There’s 1.624 ID which fits 15 series pretty well. I used shims to take up the rest of the gap. It’s very rigid with zero deflection when the lights are hanging. And as you know these lights are pretty heavy!!! Probably could have got away with 10 series, but opted on 15. Actually everything is overkill on the stand. Lol. There’s 9 leveling feet on it. Each rated for 7,000lbs… Over done for sure, but wanted my PSI spread out for the new flooring “ Porcelain Tile”. Saltwater friendly and easy to clean for the inevitable spills. Haha. Here’s a few pics of the stand and the slots for the extrusion to slip inside. There’s a welded plate on the bottom side of the slots to keep the extrusion from sliding through. I made two holders out of acrylic for the photons power supply bricks. They are secured with two screws per holder, directly to the extrusion. Countersunk the wholes in the acrylic so it would be a flush mount for the power supplies to slide in nicely. The screws on each holder are attached to the Tnuts inside the extrusions slot. Adjustable also. Best I could come up with to get them out of the way. Using 15 series also allowed me to run the wires of the photons down the inside of the slots so it’s a clean look.

Attachments

• 897CAE55-1439-491C-B1C0-7B8746652064.jpeg
    897CAE55-1439-491C-B1C0-7B8746652064.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 59C35645-64EE-48C1-A61E-66BA413DEFD2.jpeg
    59C35645-64EE-48C1-A61E-66BA413DEFD2.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 9E936F68-B53E-4582-8FC5-5CAA5C6EF83B.jpeg
    9E936F68-B53E-4582-8FC5-5CAA5C6EF83B.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 7E2BA4EE-EE1F-4909-9435-9B06FD9899CB.jpeg
    7E2BA4EE-EE1F-4909-9435-9B06FD9899CB.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 74

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my stand I made it out of 3” steel square tubing with 1/4” wall thickness. Had it powder coated also. Way overkill, but I didn’t want any center supports for the long span. Simply for easy maintenance. Nice and open front for sump access. I also wanted a steel thickness that would have zero deflection. On the backside of the stand I welded in two pieces of 2” inch square tubing that have a wall thickness of 3/16” of an inch. They are 3”inches tall. There’s 1.624 ID which fits 15 series pretty well. I used shims to take up the rest of the gap. It’s very rigid with zero deflection when the lights are hanging. And as you know these lights are pretty heavy!!! Probably could have got away with 10 series, but opted on 15. Actually everything is overkill on the stand. Lol. There’s 9 leveling feet on it. Each rated for 7,000lbs… Over done for sure, but wanted my PSI spread out for the new flooring “ Porcelain Tile”. Saltwater friendly and easy to clean for the inevitable spills. Haha. Here’s a few pics of the stand and the slots for the extrusion to slip inside. There’s a welded plate on the bottom side of the slots to keep the extrusion from sliding through. I made two holders out of acrylic for the photons power supply bricks. They are secured with two screws per holder, directly to the extrusion. Countersunk the wholes in the acrylic so it would be a flush mount for the power supplies to slide in nicely. The screws on each holder are attached to the Tnuts inside the extrusions slot. Adjustable also. Best I could come up with to get them out of the way. Using 15 series also allowed me to run the wires of the photons down the inside of the slots so it’s a clean look.
OK I see now that explains a lot. I am debating on whether I can attach the leg to just my top rail on the t slot stand or if I should run it all the way down and connect it at the bottom as well.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I see now that explains a lot. I am debating on whether I can attach the leg to just my top rail on the t slot stand or if I should run it all the way down and connect it at the bottom as well.
Man, if it were me, I'd run it all the way down to even out the pressure. I'm crazy like that! That would keep the lights from putting any kind of twist on the extrusion. Although that would probably be minimal. Of course if you run it down the bottom you'll have that crap in the way on the backside. Not sure if that matters to you or not. I'm sure it would be fine either way. Thats some pretty heavy duty extrusion on that stand!!

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you guys know how to install a photon under a canopy?
Lots of options for that!! I'm going to make a floating canopy for mine at some point. Have a fair bit of light spill with the lights mounted 14" off the water. Was gonna make one thats hinged so I can fold it up and back out of the way for maintenance. Haven't came up with the exact design though. It will be framed out of extrusion and inset with either HDPE or Acrylic panels. Have you looked at pics of what others have done for this particular light?

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options for that!! I'm going to make a floating canopy for mine at some point. Have a fair bit of light spill with the lights mounted 14" off the water. Was gonna make one thats hinged so I can fold it up and back out of the way for maintenance. Haven't came up with the exact design though. It will be framed out of extrusion and inset with either HDPE or Acrylic panels. Have you looked at pics of what others have done for this particular light?
No i haven’t, i just have an old school piano hinge canopy lol

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is quite old, we have since released a back of tank mounting solution for our lights:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back