Alternatives to BTA?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large BTA who has split multiple times and is now big enough to sting and/or shade corals. Plus it's really hard to get the splits out of the tank.

I don't think I'd have a BTA if I started over but now my clowns are very happy with her.

If I wanted to replace the BTA and keep my clowns happy what other nems would you advise? LTA? Malu? Ritteri? Are these difficult? Do they tend to sting people? Do they tend to eat other fish in the tank?

Mostly this is just curiosity. Wondering if there's a good alternative if I get so tired of the BTA that I decide she (they, right now I have two) have to go.

Thanks!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA and malu stay low at sand and neither are difficult to keep or keep from touching corals.
Malu are smallest, 8-10" and very bright colors, and many clowns accept both of these even if not natural match, those would be my first go to for novice reefer.

Ritteri/Magnifica are my preference, but a little more challenging, mainly getting a healthy one or treating a new sick one, those are also rock dwellars, but they tend to stay put given high perch and good light, proper conditions, and they are natural to occs and percs as well as others

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 137 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back