Alternatives to BTA?

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large BTA who has split multiple times and is now big enough to sting and/or shade corals. Plus it's really hard to get the splits out of the tank.

I don't think I'd have a BTA if I started over but now my clowns are very happy with her.

If I wanted to replace the BTA and keep my clowns happy what other nems would you advise? LTA? Malu? Ritteri? Are these difficult? Do they tend to sting people? Do they tend to eat other fish in the tank?

Mostly this is just curiosity. Wondering if there's a good alternative if I get so tired of the BTA that I decide she (they, right now I have two) have to go.

Thanks!
 
LTA and malu stay low at sand and neither are difficult to keep or keep from touching corals.
Malu are smallest, 8-10" and very bright colors, and many clowns accept both of these even if not natural match, those would be my first go to for novice reefer.

Ritteri/Magnifica are my preference, but a little more challenging, mainly getting a healthy one or treating a new sick one, those are also rock dwellars, but they tend to stay put given high perch and good light, proper conditions, and they are natural to occs and percs as well as others
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new