Alton's 310

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 5 to 10, 15, 20, 55, 135, 65, 75, 29, 200, 158, 300, and finally 180 in home and 65 in office. But what I missed was the size of the 300DD, what I didn’t miss was the 36” depth and the 27” tall and the limit of not being able to reach anything. Dimensions for the new Planet Tank are 96" x 30" x 25" tall. Stand is made using 18 mm Russian Birch and doubling each piece/wall
310 stand.jpg

Well sometimes transfers go easy and sometimes they don’t. This was the latter! Tank came in last Friday 2 hours late because of weather delays, lucky for me one of my co-workers was able to meet me at LFS to help transfer from panel truck to my 3/4 ton. Arrived at home around six safe and sound. On Saturday family showed up at lunch and we moved the stand and tank in on furniture dolly’s ready for the Sunday showdown.
Well I got started around 11 am on Sunday moving coral, rock and then fish. The last was two leopard wrasse buried deep in the sand. But after 90% was removed I found them and transferred them into a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub with the rest of the fish and most coral. Started removing the plumbing and forgot I glued everything so I had to run to another LFS and grab more bulkheads and some PVC. Got home and with both of my sons I was moving again up until son #2 dropped his half of the sump and it cracked spilling water everywhere. Oh yea did I mention while I was finish draining the 180 into another Rubbermaid tub I got distracted and started flooding our living room? Wife was very understanding and helped clean it up- NOT!
Anyway fish spent the night in the tub and I moved some rock, coral and new sand into the 310 with a power head and air stone.
Monday went as planned other than I lost a rubber seal to one of the unions and lost some water when I turned the pump on, but I had a spare so that problem was quickly fixed.
So 10 hours the first day, 4 ½ the second and I am almost there. I know I am getting old because once I moved a 158 and a 75 and set both up in a day after traveling 100 miles to three locations in the process. My advice, don’t get old!

Sunday night
sunday night.JPG

I still have one fish in QT along with live rock along with more live rock in a trash can cycling. I believe I will finish by Christmas. Woo Hoo!
310 2nd day.jpg

OP
OP
alton

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will post pictures of the sump soon. It is actually kind of non-spectacular since I use a 48" wet dry with bio balls and a Urchin Skimmer bought in 2003. I have been using Wet Dry Systems with no issues since 1991, although I used bio bale at the time. I like the idea of keeping it simple. Since I use glass tops to keep down evaporation and humidity and the combination killing my AC motors, the trickle effect over the bio balls adds much needed oxygen since I do not get the air exchange from having an open top aquarium.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is looking amazing. Looking to the pictures to come.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I am looking at doing a custom build with Planet in these same dimensions. Do you have center bracing?

OP
OP
alton

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have two glass braces where the plastic braces go to hold up the glass tops. Plus two four inch on each end for support

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank looks great. Can't wait to see all those angels in there together.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Beautiful blueface. How old? Have had mine nearly 2 years and about 1.5 in the display. Has behaved very well but I'm too nervous to add another angel... mostly because of fear of aggression.

OP
OP
alton

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both since May. One ordered as a med-large adult, and the other as a sub adult (ugly version) I kept them in a 100 gallon tub first to make sure they would work out before placing them in my 180 and now the 310.
BF Angels 1-1-2020.jpg

OP
OP
alton

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup my new light rack with 6 used AI Hydras running at 40% and then at 50%. PAR at at coral level is around 300. I have the BML's on the outside of the rack, with the Hydras in the center. Still need to tie up some loose wires
310 WITH AI LIGHTS SET 40%r.JPG

310 WITH AI LIGHTS 50%r.jpg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the angels still leaving your LPS corals alone? I love those bright green corals. Are they frog spawn?

OP
OP
alton

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the only angel I have had trouble with my frogspawn was the queen. The bright green are scuba steveo. A cross between frogspawn and maybe a torch? Smaller heads and more aggressive than regular frogspawn

Back