Am I Cycling My Quarantine Tank Correctly

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started cycling my 10 Gallon quarantine tank two days ago. My plan was to start up my display tank in two to three weeks. This way I can purchase my fish (once the qt is ready) and have them in my quarantine tank while my display tank is cycling. My quarantine tank consists of the following:

- 10 Gallon Tank
- 50W Eheim Heater (set to 80)
- Fluval Aquaclear 20 Filter
- Seachem Ammonia Badge (currently reading SAFE less than .02)
- Thermometer (reading 78)
- plastic plants

I'm planning on adding some PVC pipes in a couple days

I'm doing the following:
- Ghost feeding flakes (I'm using TetraMix 3-in-1. It has baby shrimp but I am only feeding the flakes because I'm scared the shrimp will stink up the tank. Also, I believe this is for freshwater fish but I don't think it matters for ghost feeding)
- Adding 10 drops of MicroBacter7 once a day after ghost feeding

Am I doing it correctly?

IMG_3007.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cycling is both minimal and not as critical as display tank
Assure ammonia and nitrate stable and adequate oxygen

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbacter 7 is a dormant bacteria. I prefer adding an active bacteria like Friz 900 Turbostart or Dr Tims One and Only to kick things off quickly.
I just ordered Dr. Tims One and Only and Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution.

Should I stop ghost feeding?

Also, I have a bare bottom in my tank but I have some of those plastic plants. Will that be enough to keep the bacteria?

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed this when using Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride:

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that those plastic plants have enough surface area for the bacteria. Does the filter have a sponge or other media in it that the bacteria can expand in?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered Dr. Tims One and Only and Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution.

Should I stop ghost feeding?

Also, I have a bare bottom in my tank but I have some of those plastic plants. Will that be enough to keep the bacteria?
No, don't stop the feeding. Put in a pinch of flake food each day.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats like 4 huge pinches of food.i only had like 3- 4 flakes but if you adding doctor tims one and only maybe it enough but i personally would be siphoning uneaten food like that and adding more flow to tank.
I used an internal filter with sponge removed and then a internal canister filter with sponge then plastic bio balls in for media ( bacteria to colonise) and even per doctor tims recomendations some plastic bio balls bottom of tank.but i did complete overkill on what needed as just thought more the better except the adding flakes food.
My reason for flow from internal filter was i trying to condition the fish to get used to my dt tank which got lots flow ( i turned internal filter with no sponge off at night ) but you got right idea of putting plants in to give them something to hide behind. I seen a few put bricks in with plants attached which thought was a great idea

But there is so many ways to do same thing.
Just need somewhere for bacteria to colonise,and convert the toxic amnonia into none toxic nitrite then nitrate.unless doing ttm

Stable correct temperature.
Bit of flow to take amnonia to the bacteria.
Somewhere for fish to hide/ feel safe
Amnonia badge/ and or test kits
Then food
Then medications if choose to medicate everything.
Then way to take meds out between each medication or next batch of fish.

Im not going to comment on carbon in filter but tell you to research if you actually want it in your filter or not.

Edit: here picture off mine.and also adding an airstone is good practice for gas exchange and i ended up addi g some pieces off rock and removing most balls but rocks can leach in certain medications so some advise against adding rocks but mine was an observatjon qt and medicate if needed.
So your choice what kind of qt you doing and as vetteguy said adding oxygen just great idea in tank but more so if adding some medications that deplete the oxygen levels

Screenshot_20210831-132609_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210831-132640_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210831-132838_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the food just be sitting on the bottom? I was thinking they would go away in a day or two.
Yes, it will sit. Just do 3 or 4 flakes. Siphon out the rest, that is way too much. I have read threads here where folks used ammonia and they had major problems. It's not necessary. You are starting the bacteria cycle and that is the food for it. Today, I am dealing with the same thing but for a different reason. My tank has been cycled for six months and I have fish and corals. But I have zero nitrates. It's too low for my corals. I am putting a bit of extra food in to raise the nitrate from zero. I just got rid of dinos which was another result of having low nitrate and phosphate in my tank.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the food just be sitting on the bottom? I was thinking they would go away in a day or two.
The problem with food is it takes forever to break down and you can't predict/control how much ammonia it produces.

With Dr Tims you can be very precise in your dosing and know exactly what is going on.

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with food is it takes forever to break down and you can't predict/control how much ammonia it produces.

With Dr Tims you can be very precise in your dosing and know exactly what is going on.
Do you think I need to put something in the bottom of the tank for the bacteria to grow? One person mentioned they used bio balls.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I need to put something in the bottom of the tank for the bacteria to grow? One person mentioned they used bio balls.
You dont need anything on bottom of tank aslong as enough surface other places which i suspect you have as you mentioned you have bio media in your filter if remember correctly?
I just had lots like a thousand spare from main tank that wasnt using and in doctor tims video he suggested adding some inert thing like marbles so doesnt leach in some medications.
If you do decide add something bottom of tank just be aware some my fish just watched pellet food sink past them and ate some and let rest sink so had to use airline tubing to siphon these out every few days ( better way would be have them in a net bag clipped to side of tank)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7 .30 minute mark.
I watched this along with lots other info then just proceded way i wanted to as lots variations to get same result

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7 .30 minute mark.
I watched this along with lots other info then just proceded way i wanted to as lots variations to get same result

Thanks for that video link. Weird that a glass marble would be different than just glass bare bottom.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that video link. Weird that a glass marble would be different than just glass bare bottom.
Theres more surface area if have marbles in bottom as you still got 99% of glass bottom plus 99% of surface of marbles.
Its same principle with waves as they go up and down, it now turns from a flat surface to a part of wave that rises and then falls so if could halt time and stop waves mid action and run a piece of string up and down the waves then measured the perfectly still or nearly still water,the waves be lots lots lots more surface area and more surface area = more places for gas exchange to happen.

Edit: and you very welcone,glad to help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back