Current orbit marine LED light
Intank media basket :
Stock bio pellets & Fluval carbon pouch
Tank cycled may 8th

Live stock :
Black anenomefish
Cleaner shrimp

Parameters:
Temp 78 (up or down .5 give or take temp outside)
Salinity 34.2 ppt
Ph 7.3 (could be wrong Hanna checker was wierd)
dKH 6.5
Phos .01
Trate 5 - 10 (was Inbetween colors)
Trite trace amounts (0.1 divided by 10 on test)

Given these parameters does it look like I'm ready for coral? I know I need to get a Calc checker but I really wanna get some sort of softie for my first and I like toadstools plus my anenome fish looks like he needs a home lol

Any other recs for first Corals? Going to a nicer local shop sometime in the next couple of days to look around for the first time. The only place I've seen coral live is at a closer shop where their tanks have alot of aptasia except for the display (smh) I just get ro and water from there.

Also pics of my tank below keep in mind I got rid of the stock Fluval sponge about a week ago and still have some brown algae with spots in places but I can see it receding.

20200806_185527.jpg 2020-08-07 16.44.29.jpg

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say its time to get some starter coral in this bad boy. I’d get your self a coral dip while your out like
Reefdip, or CoralRx. Toadstools, devil’s hand and other leathers are good starter corals. You can also look at zoanthids or maybe some more forgiving LPS like acans, hammers and frogspawn.

That first trip to the store when you get your first corals, it’s a moment you won’t forget. Then one day you’ll drop $500 on a BattleBox and won’t know what is inside until shows up.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also must re edit I just api tested my Ph against my Hanna which I believe I calibrated wrong. The api read between 8.0 and 8.2

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say its time to get some starter coral in this bad boy. I’d get your self a coral dip while your out like
Reefdip, or CoralRx. Toadstools, devil’s hand and other leathers are good starter corals. You can also look at zoanthids or maybe some more forgiving LPS like acans, hammers and frogspawn.

That first trip to the store when you get your first corals, it’s a moment you won’t forget. Then one day you’ll drop $500 on a BattleBox and won’t know what is inside until shows up.
I have some dip a friend gave me called The Dip I think lolol.

I'm very excited I'm glad my Params look good I thiught I messed something up cause of the algae bloom with a nano bit of hair algae in two places. I guess it was my Fluval stock sponge and me blasting my current orbit led at 100 percent

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool is a great starter and love the flow of the polyps. Super hardy! Go for it.
For the hair algae I had some problems with it and was manually plucking it out and scrubbing rocks to get rid of it. Got an urchin and seems to be keeping it in check. Yes maybe turn down the light a bit haha

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool is a great starter and love the flow of the polyps. Super hardy! Go for it.
For the hair algae I had some problems with it and was manually plucking it out and scrubbing rocks to get rid of it. Got an urchin and seems to be keeping it in check. Yes maybe turn down the light a bit haha

Yes took some advice lowered my whites to 40 blues to 100 and red and green low low, gave the rockets a toothbrushing in the heavy areas and its already receding! Guess removing that foam Fluval block took alot of the nitrate out of the column

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes took some advice lowered my whites to 40 blues to 100 and red and green low low, gave the rockets a toothbrushing in the heavy areas and its already receding! Guess removing that foam Fluval block took alot of the nitrate out of the column
Sounds like a good start. Have fun finding a toadstool there are so many cool varieties out there to choose from.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back