Ammonia…

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why-ammonia about a month ago tested at this level-still showing some traces when tested again today-

Not sure why-

Alkalinity a little low-line on my auto doser was clogged…

Only change has been started dosing phyto recently and have gone filter sockless.

Fish seem fine, corals seem fine except for a gsp colony that closed up a week-seemed to have some die off and is opening again, had another gsp colony that was fine while other one closed up

IMG_3309.jpeg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your RODI water for it.

Using any kind of dechlorinator?

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dechlorinator

Rodi water coming from same lfs that has been for last 2.5years

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test it anyway. Easy source of ammonia to rule out. Get a second opinion on the test too.

An established reef tank should be at 0 ammonia always.

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some tester that I'm not aware of that tests for everything? Also, IMHO, ammonia moves around based on stocking or feeding or the day. I personally wouldn't sweat it, but maybe test a few days in a row. The GSP would not be the first thing to be ammonia sensitive in your tank I'm guessing. Corals sometimes just get funny for a day or two.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test in the QT tank and honestly I just use a cheap API kit. It's inaccurate BUT very good for testing for 0.

As in, it can tell if there is some, but is terrible at telling you how much. The seachem kit is also inexpensive and lets you separate free and bound ammonia.

I don't know what kind of fancy machine that is in your picture but chronic levels of 0.2 ppm ammonia just doesn't make sense. If you had a source consistently adding ammonia the bacteria would multiply until they could handle it; staying at a steady level means you're either adding more and more ammonia constantly or you've got as much bacteria as it's possible to have given your surface area. You're really just checking to make sure your other test is correct.

I agree with MDReefguy on the GSP - closing for days at a time isn't abnormal for it.

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe the lfs uses this but feel like its a different name that i cant think of

The gsp has done it before-but like i said wverything else seems ok or has beeb

Attachments

• IMG_3310.png
    IMG_3310.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 34

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why-ammonia about a month ago tested at this level-still showing some traces when tested again today-

Not sure why-

Alkalinity a little low-line on my auto doser was clogged…

Only change has been started dosing phyto recently and have gone filter sockless.

Fish seem fine, corals seem fine except for a gsp colony that closed up a week-seemed to have some die off and is opening again, had another gsp colony that was fine while other one closed up

IMG_3309.jpeg
A little ammonia reading is nothing to worry about, as long as it stays low. Most folk don’t even bother testing for it but if your going to be doing this multi test regularly, there’s no harm in keeping your eye on it. It may be picking up something in the water that’s not strictly ammonia however.

Plugging your numbers into this ammonia calculator gives a safe 0.01 NH3 number anyways;

Attachments

• F0113AF1-140C-4B12-99B8-0C471B3DAA67.jpeg
    F0113AF1-140C-4B12-99B8-0C471B3DAA67.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 18

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back