Ammonia cycle

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started on Sunday with my ammonia cycle and used pure ammonia bought from ACE. This would be my third tank I’ve done with it, other two were successful with starting cycle this way.

Anyways I dosed ammonia according to this link to 2 PPM on Sunday. I didn’t test right away and tested just now, my reading using Salifert came back as .25 PPM. I have 180 lbs of dry rock in the tank and 80lbs of sand in the tank. The tank is 180 gallon but total water volume including sump is 165. Should I add more ammonia according to the link or go the raw shrimp method and take them out once I know my ammonia is at 2 PPM?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used ammonia but there is no harm in tossing a couple of shrimp in there. You'll get your ammonia either way.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you thought you dosed to 2 ppm but really you are at 25 ppm? I think you need to do some water changes and get back down to around 5 ppm. Too much ammonia can stall your cycle.

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Sunday my ammonia hasn't gone up at all. I'm measuring with Salifert ammonia test kit and I'm still at .25. I've had the raw shrimp in there since Tuesday, but they are no longer raw and almost getting rotten per say, they look like they have a almost a fuzzy bubble around them.

Its been a while since I have done the raw shrimp cycle, anyone recall on how long it takes for the shrimp to start dumping ammonia in the tank? Should I take the shrimp out and start dosing with the pure ammonia until I reach my desired amount?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Sunday my ammonia hasn't gone up at all. I'm measuring with Salifert ammonia test kit and I'm still at .25. I've had the raw shrimp in there since Tuesday, but they are no longer raw and almost getting rotten per say, they look like they have a almost a fuzzy bubble around them.

Its been a while since I have done the raw shrimp cycle, anyone recall on how long it takes for the shrimp to start dumping ammonia in the tank? Should I take the shrimp out and start dosing with the pure ammonia until I reach my desired amount?

Might be little to no ammonia remaining. Or maybe you never added as much as you think.

What was the source of the initial ammonia?

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve come to the conclusion that my test kit is no good. I took the shrimp out, dosed 14 ml of ammonia and it still reads .25 ammonia. Already have some on order and should arrive Tuesday. Hopefully I can get better results with Red Sea instead of Salifert

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back