Ammonia or Sodium Nitrate to Raise Nitrate in Fishless Coral System?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to balance nitrate/phosphate more towards Redfield Ratio (or, at least a higher nitrate: phosphate ratio than current). Currently system is testing 0.01 ppm phosphates (Hanna) and 0.125 ppm Nitrates (Red Sea Low Range).

Fishless as this system acts as a coral QT, so adding fish is not an option.

Cyano is starting to show in the display side, and the sump is full of dino (don't really care about the sump - the display is dino-free), and I think raising the nitrate a bit might help. I have already tried feeding more, but it only increases the Cyano - and the nitrate level remains low.

Please let me know your thoughts....

Best

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also to note, is that coral coloration and growth is good. I'm only concerned about the Cyano overthrowing the corals, and would like to steer clear of chemical treatments.

Coral feeding regimen- 2 x Weekly:

1. 22.5 ml Brightwell Coral Amino
2. 1 ml Selcon
3. 1/8 tsp Reef Chili
4. 1/8 tsp ReefRoids

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to balance nitrate/phosphate more towards Redfield Ratio (or, at least a higher nitrate: phosphate ratio than current). Currently system is testing 0.01 ppm phosphates (Hanna) and 0.125 ppm Nitrates (Red Sea Low Range).

Fishless as this system acts as a coral QT, so adding fish is not an option.

Cyano is starting to show in the display side, and the sump is full of dino (don't really care about the sump - the display is dino-free), and I think raising the nitrate a bit might help. I have already tried feeding more, but it only increases the Cyano - and the nitrate level remains low.

Please let me know your thoughts....

Best
I vote ammonia. The only thing that balanced out my coral system is adding a bunch of shrimp and some urchins. They upped the amount of ammonia produced, but I have not tested direct ammonia additions via dosing. I will get into that once my larger coral holding system is up and running.

I love this thread, hopefully others can add their thoughts!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there Rush! Thank you for the input - was reading through your thoughts on this from my build thread earlier, which actually sparked the question.

Certainly if nothing else, the increased nitrate through direct ammonia addition, would more closely mimic the biological/bacterial nitrification cycle.

I still have about 35 days to go with the current batch. Once this is complete, i will definitely be adding additional invertebrates to help with this.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your making a perfect storm for cyano. I would add phosphate and nitrates to balance out and that would stop cyano. Brightwell has products. Reef roids will help may take some time.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your making a perfect storm for cyano. I would add phosphate and nitrates to balance out and that would stop cyano. Brightwell has products. Reef roids will help may take some time.

Hey Pat, thanks for the reply.

Which part is the perfect storm for Cyano?

How much phosphate should I add? Thought I was good at 0.01.

Which products from Brightwell are you talking about?

I have been feeding the tank ReefRoids since I started it, and it has not helped. Are you saying I should dose more?

Thanks

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Pat, thanks for the reply.

Which part is the perfect storm for Cyano?

How much phosphate should I add? Thought I was good at 0.01.

Which products from Brightwell are you talking about?

I have been feeding the tank ReefRoids since I started it, and it has not helped. Are you saying I should dose more?

Thanks
Low phosphate will cause cyano to grow. You would like some nitrates as well say .05-.10 - Po4 .02-.04 . NeoPhos and NeoNitro. These are products that add nutrients. They are other ways such as increase your feeding. More fish your have more waste. Shut your skimmer you will see increase. Don’t do many water changes until you see increase. Increase Reef roids along with frozen food. 2x-3x a day

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back