Ammonia spike! Please help.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing well now. But ammonia still 8.0ppm. The same as before.
Your ammonia is not 8ppm. Get the water tested by your LFS and tell them that you used ammonia lock.

You have not answered this question, “What was ammonia readings when you cycled your tank and what was the ammonia reading before you put ammonia lock.

OP
OP
K

khittik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is no 8ppm because your fish are alive
I really think this is all a testing error
I don’t think the testing kits error. I tested my natural sea water. Ammonia is 0ppm. But when I tested my tank water it is 8.0ppm so I think there a lot of NH4. So NH4 cannot be converted by nitrifying bacteria? Only if they become NH3 then it can be processed to nitrite?

OP
OP
K

khittik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia is not 8ppm. Get the water tested by your LFS and tell them that you used ammonia lock.

You have not answered this question, “What was ammonia readings when you cycled your tank and what was the ammonia reading before you put ammonia lock.

I didn’t test the water before I used Ammoni Lock so I am not sure what was the reading. As I do my water testing once a week so last week it was 0.50ppm. Then after I saw my shrimp died, I panicky dosed the ammonia lock and tested the water and it came out as 8ppm. Today I tested the natural sea water it showed as 0ppm but my tank water is still 8ppm now even after 50% water changes so I think there are NH4 mostly?

Before when I cycled my tank, ammonia was 0ppm.

OP
OP
K

khittik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but your ammonia level will kill the bacteria. I would keep doing water changes unitl I am down to at least 3ppm. I would then add a double dose of a high quality bacteria product like Dr. Tim's. However, you need to go to the pet shop and get a pump to better circulate the water into the rock that the bacteria will colonize onto.
What pump do you mean? I have a return pump with 1000 litres per hour and I have just ordered Al Nero 3 which is due for delivery next month.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t test the water before I used Ammoni Lock so I am not sure what was the reading. As I do my water testing once a week so last week it was 0.50ppm. Then after I saw my shrimp died, I panicky dosed the ammonia lock and tested the water and it came out as 8ppm. Today I tested the natural sea water it showed as 0ppm but my tank water is still 8ppm now even after 50% water changes so I think there are NH4 mostly?

Before when I cycled my tank, ammonia was 0ppm.

If your ammonia was 8 ppm, your clowns would not be comfortable. I always use bioindicators to tell the truth. Your clowns health are your bioindicators. Your panic dose of ammonia is being followed by more panic reaction.

I see no harm in adding bacteria and extra circulation. Also consider using activated carbon.

However, I suggest you trust your clownfish and allow tank chemistry to balance your tank.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump do you mean? I have a return pump with 1000 litres per hour and I have just ordered Al Nero 3 which is due for delivery next month.
I could be wrong, but it looks like your tank is in need of more surface agitation. Add a pump now to agitate the surface for more oxygen.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the 8.0 can't be a true ammonia reading. Some of the following has already been posted by others:
1. With Prime, ammonia is converted to a non toxic form (TEMPORARILY), but most tests will still show ammonia, so they are worthless once you've added it. Probably the same with the product you used.
2. YES!! Add more bacteria now! Tims, Fritz, whatever you choose. It can only help at this point.
3. If you can't direct your return flow so that there is more surface agitation and you don't have an extra pump you can add now, add an airstone (or 2) to create some surface movement.

Ashy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until your nero powerhead gets to you point your return upto the surface you want to see that surface rippling and turning over not flat like a mirror.

If you are running the tank like in this pic 24/7 that's not enough oxygen (unless you have a skimmer running 24/7aswell)

4712738A-02CB-41EA-B96F-72E3FB13D52C.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back