Ammonia spike

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chiller died 2 days ago and the tank is running at like 84 degrees. Consequently I have an ammonia spike to 0.25 ppm. The new chiller gets here tomorrow. I put in some stress coat which it says turns the ammonia into ammonium. I have two small clowns coming early next week and then some zoanthids very soon after. Any advice? It’s probably the temp spike right?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’m using test kits. The Seneye monitor is a little pricy.
Your ammonia may not be real, but inproving in tank circulation, put a ziplock bag with ice to cool the water, and pray the chiller arrives timely.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chiller died 2 days ago and the tank is running at like 84 degrees. Consequently I have an ammonia spike to 0.25 ppm. The new chiller gets here tomorrow. I put in some stress coat which it says turns the ammonia into ammonium. I have two small clowns coming early next week and then some zoanthids very soon after. Any advice? It’s probably the temp spike right?
What type of livestock do you have in your tank at this time ? 84-F is not too high, lower would be better. I would not worry about the ammonia unless this is a new system.

Probably happens !

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use Prime or Do water change ?
Definitely doing a water change. I just don’t want to go through all the motions and have it spike right back up again. I’m gonna do a 25% change as soon as the chiller gets here tomorrow and hope that settles everything back down. Since the tank has finally cycled, I just turned on the leds. Maybe that contributed to the spike a bit as well.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny ammonia reading of say 0.25 is nothing to worry about in itself, even if it is a real reading and not a misread or faulty kit, whatever. I doubt stress coat will do anything for ammonia, anyway.
Why not use Prime or Do water change ?
Prime can neutralize chlorine but little else.
as the chiller gets here tomorrow a
youll be fine then :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes. I’m using test kits. The Seneye monitor is a little pricy.
On top of possible false readings, spikes can happen when water gets this warm and O2 levels drop slightly

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doing a water change. I just don’t want to go through all the motions and have it spike right back up again. I’m gonna do a 25% change as soon as the chiller gets here tomorrow and hope that settles everything back down. Since the tank has finally cycled, I just turned on the leds. Maybe that contributed to the spike a bit as well.
Trying to lower ammonia in a tank that is not fully cycled with water changes is a fruitless effort. Most water changes for parameter corrections are a waste of salt water IMO.

"Mr. Spock: Then, I will try to make the best 'guess' I can! "

Probably happens !

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is fully cycled (see post history for the tank) the ammonia reading is searchable and reads that way for over a million fully stocked and running reef tanks, it's the classic api reading anyone would expect. ammonia= a non issue here, don't test for it in display reefs, or this is what you'll get...pure doubt and unfounded fear. retire the kit. the water change helps nothing regarding ammonia.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is fully cycled (see post history for the tank) the ammonia reading is searchable and reads that way for over a million fully stocked and running reef tanks, it's the classic api reading anyone would expect. ammonia= a non issue here, don't test for it in display reefs, or this is what you'll get...pure doubt and unfounded fear. retire the kit. the water change helps nothing regarding ammonia.
Thanks Brandon. That puts my mind at ease. Ready to get these coral and get started.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very understandable why that was a concern: all training material published in the last 20 years says if ammonia isn't zero the cycle is 'broken' it took a gaggle of nerds here to discern that wasn't the case and then begin the arduous task of undoing those statements. those statements have sold about two million unneeded extra bottles of bacteria per year/just my guesstimate/which is why I think bottle bac sellers must love the old cycling ruleset.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Ammonia is going back down. Maybe it was from finally cleaning the film off of the inside of the glass for the first time. Anyway, it’s working itself out.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd update: The chiller got here this afternoon. In this heatwave and with the reef lights, flow pumps, etc. that water was 89 degrees. 90 degrees and all the beneficial bacteria starts to die. I narrowly avoided having to start from scratch. This new chiller has a one year warranty, but I think I should get another in case it fails. Even with a warranty, it would probably takes weeks for them to replace it. Thank God I have no coral or fish.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd update: The chiller got here this afternoon. In this heatwave and with the reef lights, flow pumps, etc. that water was 89 degrees. 90 degrees and all the beneficial bacteria starts to die. I narrowly avoided having to start from scratch. This new chiller has a one year warranty, but I think I should get another in case it fails. Even with a warranty, it would probably takes weeks for them to replace it. Thank God I have no coral or fish.
Sounds like you need a backup plan.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back