Amphipod Behavior

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently added a dozen or so Amphipods to my 10gal QT but I don't really see them anywhere now. There are several "huge" bundles of chaeto in there that I think they may be hiding in, but I wanted to ask, what's the general behavior for amphipods (gammarus) in your tanks? Do they burrow in the substrate? Do they stay inside chaeto balls? Do they ever come out and swim, etc...

As a side note, I am adding the amphipods with hopes that my puffer will eat them in my DT, and then I will add a mandarin that will eat copepods and amphipods. The puffer will control the amphipods and the amphipods/mandarin will control the copepods and amphipods. As convoluted as it sounds, basically I hope the puffer eats them on occasion.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general the A pods you buy are not free swimmers. They live in rock pores, macro algae and coarse substrates, like calcium media or rock rubble.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely photo negative. If you think they are gone lift a rock, likely a swarming mass in there. They will hang in chaeto but I most often see them in the slimier hair algae. Swipe some of that and you will generally see them crawling on your fingers. Also, if you want confirm life, check the debris in your flow, you can often see a molted husk drifting by.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back