Amphipods Eating My Zoas Help!

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if the Wrasse is able to get the pest problem under control
Pods gone rogue!!! Did you pick up a six line?? Having this issue right now, was wondering what you did to solve it.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods gone rogue!!! Did you pick up a six line?? Having this issue right now, was wondering what you did to solve it.
I moved them into my display tank which has zero Amphipods. In that short amount of time I've seen 4 new heads pop up so they are thriving.

For my Quarantine Tank (that has those Amphipods) I removed all the water and dipped the rock and Corals in Coral Rx. Its still a few in there but I'm planning on getting a Sixline for that tank soon. I just haven't found a one small enough for my Quarantine Tank yet. Also those Amphipods are still eating Zoas in that tank but luckily I have those particular species of Zoas in my Display tank so I'm not worried about totally losing them.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Quarantine Tank (that has those Amphipods) I removed all the water and dipped the rock and Corals in Coral Rx. Its still a few in there but I'm planning on getting a Sixline for that tank soon. I just haven't found a one small enough for my Quarantine Tank yet. Also those Amphipods are still eating Zoas in that tank but luckily I have those particular species of Zoas in my Display tank so I'm not worried about totally losing them.
Picking up a six line in a couple days. Only fish available right now in my area.

Coral Rx is also what I used to dip and it definitely knocked those pesky pods out cold!! Zoas didn’t seem to mind the dip either. The healthy ones were open again a few hrs later.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread my biggest paly colony has about a million large amphipods that live under it and use it for cover. At that other than one LPS and one SPS my tank is all zoas and palys same with my old tanks never had any problems with amphipods eating anything. I have had very small nudis that survived being dipped they had what looked like tentacles on the back of them that were the same colour as the zoas. Took a red flashlight and hours of watching in the dark to see them. Cant find any study to say they amphipods can be carnivorous only detritivores or jellyfish parasites

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to link my thread and the other threads that zoaprince was nice enough to find. No study needed for me. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods don't eat Zoas unless they are dead and shedding tissue. Keep an eye on your parameters,lighting, and feeding.
Amphipods absolutely eat zoas blastos acans and any other lps and soft corals. I've been fighting this problem for a while now and so have so many others. Those of us who have lost hundreds of dollars in coral because of amphipods know what I'm talking about. I've seen these killer pods chew through a unhealthy pollup in one night, in the process upset the healthy pollup next to it and devour the healthy pollup the next night. In about a week the entire colony Is dying.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back