An intermediate guide to dealing with Dinoflagellates

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write up, i just ended my battle with dino saturday morning. Crazy thing my No3 and Po4 where slightly high and had no affect on the dino population. Did a 3 day black out same way you did while also dosing dr.tims eco-balance, microbacter7 and at the end of night 2 did a 20% water change. So far im 4 days with the light's on ramped down and no signed of any dinos. Also added a refugium. Hopefully thatll keep things in check now.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of my 5 years in the saltwater side of the hobby, I have had my fair share of fights with everything from parasites, to nuisance dinoflagellates/cyano/algae. I can say my current system has been clean and running beautifully for awhile now, and I haven't had a run in with Dino in what seems like years. That is, until I set up my Nano over here at my office. It's been running clean since June, I do weekly water changes, top off with RODI, and I have a sump I built myself with a sand bed, live rock, and chaeto in it that I haven't lighted yet, but I just saw saw that first reddish, stringy shinny bubble coming out of the sand. This reminded me all to well that sometimes a tank could be months old, and still not have the micro fauna population to beat back micro-organisms like Dino's. That stringy...bubbled filled reddish brown strands reminded me all too well of how I dealt with it last time, and hopefully how you can too before it decimates your coral population and then becomes toxic enough to lower water quality and possibly kill of your Clean up Crew, starting a chain reaction of death and heartbreak.

So, what are Dinoflagellates?

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called a Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata, estimates claim that their are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

So, for the part you came for! "How do I rid my tank of Dinoflagellates?" Often times, it is starting to inhibit the well-being of your coral, and hardly anything eats it! Lucky for you, the method to fix it has worked for me any time I see it in an aquarium under a year old. Here are some basics to put into a place that will help you with a plethora of several different issues, but also this dino one. Whether that be to solve or mediate the issue to being manageable, that all depends on your husbandry skills.

The simple stuff to put in place as it helps with a plethora of things, including dealing with Dinos BEFORE it becomes a problem. My 1-2 KO is towards the end

Natural approach saves the day!
1. If you don't have a refugium yet, GET ONE! I can't say it is the "end all say all of problems", but when you have a well sustained micro-fauna population in a secure location, with plenty of macro algae to compete with micro-algae in the display, you really see a shift in who is winning the fight for nutrients. Lighting options for refugium's can be cheap clip on Walmart lights with Amazon grow lights, or a Kessil H80! What does matter though, is that you source clean, pest free chaeto, hopefully from somewhere like AlgaeBarn. God forbid you get some chaeto from your friend and it has bryopsis on it. "What does this have to do with Dinos?" you ask. Well, the increased population of micro-fauna can put even more pressure on heterotrophic varieties of dinoflagellates by competing for organic waste products as well as serve as a great nutrient removal system when you start harvesting macro-algae. Talk about two birds with one stone!

refugium.jpg

Ah, so clean!
2. If you haven't already, invest in an RODI system, or create a place for a storage container in which you can keep your LFS RODI, which typically is pretty affordable per gallon. RODI water, also know as Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization water, is highly purified water that provides Reefers the cleanest water you can get. I would suggest checking you sediment filters, carbon blocks, DI resin, and RO membrane to make sure that is not exhausted, check this every month, or more frequent, with a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to make sure it is at 0, or at the most lower single digits if you are strapped on the cost to replace all of your filters. You probably are asking again, "what does RODI water have to do with Dinos?" Well, I can't say much but from what I noticed, having clean water for water changes, toping off, and sterilizing equipment leads to success in keeping problems like Dino from taking hold.

RODI-6-Stage.jpg

ZAP
3. Something that I haven't personally used, but have ROCK solid anecdotal and empirical evidence of working, is a UV sterilizer. A UV sterilizer can be hooked up via it's own pump located somewhere in the sump or back chamber of an all in one system, to pump water into the UV sterilizer at a slow flow rate, allowing the proper time for organisms to pass through the UV light, ultimately killing that organism. These aren't too expensive in small applications, but start to hike up as you increase the size and wattage population. If you don't quarantine your fish, which you should, then this could also help you handle any parasite issues, although this is a lot more situational in the effects in controlling populations rather than being completely clean.

UV.jpg

MY 1-2 KO METHOD
4. Personally, from every experience I have had with Dinoflagellates, doing a 3-day lights out/black out period with cardboard cut to size, taped to the glass, while also carboarding and blanking the top. After that, I dose 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons of water in the display everyday for the black out period, then doing a 25-50% water change after, removing any remaining strands. Usually though, the aquarium is pristine at the end of the blackout, if done successful, so you shouldn't have to clean out too much. Run your skimmer and powerheads the entire time, you want to get out any organics as well as aerating your water, as oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels during this.

If you have any extra advice, feel free to comment! This is purely anecdotal evidence, but it has heavy support in the hobby, and I really hope this helps someone solve their issue.

With that being said, I am going to go cure my Nano at the office like I did my 125 2 years ago!
dang, I wish that I had read this two months ago when I mistook this for cyano. So much work and time wasted. Hydrogen peroxide... so smart.

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of my 5 years in the saltwater side of the hobby, I have had my fair share of fights with everything from parasites, to nuisance dinoflagellates/cyano/algae. I can say my current system has been clean and running beautifully for awhile now, and I haven't had a run in with Dino in what seems like years. That is, until I set up my Nano over here at my office. It's been running clean since June, I do weekly water changes, top off with RODI, and I have a sump I built myself with a sand bed, live rock, and chaeto in it that I haven't lighted yet, but I just saw saw that first reddish, stringy shinny bubble coming out of the sand. This reminded me all to well that sometimes a tank could be months old, and still not have the micro fauna population to beat back micro-organisms like Dino's. That stringy...bubbled filled reddish brown strands reminded me all too well of how I dealt with it last time, and hopefully how you can too before it decimates your coral population and then becomes toxic enough to lower water quality and possibly kill of your Clean up Crew, starting a chain reaction of death and heartbreak.

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called a Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata, estimates claim that their are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

So, for the part you came for! "How do I rid my tank of Dinoflagellates?" Often times, it is starting to inhibit the well-being of your coral, and hardly anything eats it! Lucky for you, the method to fix it has worked for me any time I see it in an aquarium under a year old. Here are some basics to put into a place that will help you with a plethora of several different issues, but also this dino one. Whether that be to solve or mediate the issue to being manageable, that all depends on your husbandry skills.

The simple stuff to put in place as it helps with a plethora of things, including dealing with Dinos BEFORE it becomes a problem. My 1-2 KO is towards the end

1. If you don't have a refugium yet, GET ONE! I can't say it is the "end all say all of problems", but when you have a well sustained micro-fauna population in a secure location, with plenty of macro algae to compete with micro-algae in the display, you really see a shift in who is winning the fight for nutrients. Lighting options for refugium's can be cheap clip on Walmart lights with Amazon grow lights, or a Kessil H80! What does matter though, is that you source clean, pest free chaeto, hopefully from somewhere like AlgaeBarn. God forbid you get some chaeto from your friend and it has bryopsis on it. "What does this have to do with Dinos?" you ask. Well, the increased population of micro-fauna can put even more pressure on heterotrophic varieties of dinoflagellates by competing for organic waste products as well as serve as a great nutrient removal system when you start harvesting macro-algae. Talk about two birds with one stone!

refugium.jpg

Ah, so clean!
2. If you haven't already, invest in an RODI system, or create a place for a storage container in which you can keep your LFS RODI, which typically is pretty affordable per gallon. RODI water, also know as Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization water, is highly purified water that provides Reefers the cleanest water you can get. I would suggest checking you sediment filters, carbon blocks, DI resin, and RO membrane to make sure that is not exhausted, check this every month, or more frequent, with a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to make sure it is at 0, or at the most lower single digits if you are strapped on the cost to replace all of your filters. You probably are asking again, "what does RODI water have to do with Dinos?" Well, I can't say much but from what I noticed, having clean water for water changes, toping off, and sterilizing equipment leads to success in keeping problems like Dino from taking hold.

RODI-6-Stage.jpg

ZAP
3. Something that I haven't personally used, but have ROCK solid anecdotal and empirical evidence of working, is a UV sterilizer. A UV sterilizer can be hooked up via it's own pump located somewhere in the sump or back chamber of an all in one system, to pump water into the UV sterilizer at a slow flow rate, allowing the proper time for organisms to pass through the UV light, ultimately killing that organism. These aren't too expensive in small applications, but start to hike up as you increase the size and wattage population. If you don't quarantine your fish, which you should, then this could also help you handle any parasite issues, although this is a lot more situational in the effects in controlling populations rather than being completely clean.

UV.jpg

MY 1-2 KO METHOD
4. Personally, from every experience I have had with Dinoflagellates, doing a 3-day lights out/black out period with cardboard cut to size, taped to the glass, while also carboarding and blanking the top. After that, I dose 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons of water in the display everyday for the black out period, then doing a 25-50% water change after, removing any remaining strands. Usually though, the aquarium is pristine at the end of the blackout, if done successful, so you shouldn't have to clean out too much. Run your skimmer and powerheads the entire time, you want to get out any organics as well as aerating your water, as oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels during this.

If you have any extra advice, feel free to comment! This is purely anecdotal evidence, but it has heavy support in the hobby, and I really hope this helps someone solve their issue.

With that being said, I am going to go cure my Nano at the office like I did my 125 2 years ago!

Thanks for the post!
I have heard of the hydrogen peroxide “fix” from several people but had not seen the breakdown of how much and what was needed along with it. I also had been under the impression I needed to stop my skimmer. Good information!!!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write up, i just ended my battle with dino saturday morning. Crazy thing my No3 and Po4 where slightly high and had no affect on the dino population. Did a 3 day black out same way you did while also dosing dr.tims eco-balance, microbacter7 and at the end of night 2 did a 20% water change. So far im 4 days with the light's on ramped down and no signed of any dinos. Also added a refugium. Hopefully thatll keep things in check now.
It seems like there is inconclusive evidence for the reasoning of multiple solutions working, that is why I think it is such a multipronged attack as it will probably help early reefers with other issues as well. I was AMAZED by how clean my tanks are after 3 day blackouts, it is usually an immediate relief to your corals if it isn't a Defcon level 1 Dino event lol

dang, I wish that I had read this two months ago when I mistook this for cyano. So much work and time wasted. Hydrogen peroxide... so smart.
Well at least you know for next time and can help others! You become so much more valuable to your local community/people you get in the hobby when you learn ways for beginners to make it past issues that make it or break it for them.

Thanks for the post!
I have heard of the hydrogen peroxide “fix” from several people but had not seen the breakdown of how much and what was needed along with it. I also had been under the impression I needed to stop my skimmer. Good information!!!
Glad to help! there is some wiggle room but I wouldn't dose more than 2ml per 10 gallons unless you plan on doing an immediate water change after 30 mins, going 3 day blackout, all while dosing 1-2ml of hydrogen peroxide. That being said, if it is the immediate relief option, with a water change right after, don't dose more than 4-5ml/10 gallons. Thank you! :)

robinluvsbishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata. Estimates claim that there are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

refugium.jpg

Ah, so clean!

RODI-6-Stage.jpg

ZAP

UV.jpg

MY 1-2 KO METHOD

Great article, very helpful

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like fun!!!

1. What country are you located in? USA
  2. What is your shirt size? XXL
  3. What are your favorite foods or snacks? Any allergies or special considerations that need to be kept in mind? Almonds, coffee, toffee, & white chocolate - no allergies
  4. What is your gender? M
  5. What are your hobbies or other interests? Lol, come on, I own 3 systems I don’t have time for hobbies
  6. What is your favorite color? Red or black
  7. What is your favorite fish? Engineer goby
  8. What is your favorite coral? Purple stylo
  9. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock* yes, anything saltwater based. Surprise me with something new. Doesn’t have to be rare or expensive; just no yellow tail damsels. They just go to the predator tank renamed ‘bait.”

dmantz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best write up out there. Turned my tank around in days. I did a 2 day blackout, UV, added peroxide and did the 20% water change. My tank looks amazing. Thank you

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a case of Dino’s. After tons of research I found many reefers report some degree of success with all of these approach singularly, so I decided to do an all out multiprong attack figuring thats the best chance it may work.
So what I did was:

1. Scrubbed all rocks with a toothbrush
2 black out 3 days
3. Installed a UV
4. Increased my aquarium temp to 82.5 and keep it there
5. Change out mechanical filtration daily for the week
6. Increased PO to 0.003 and no3 to 10
7. Dumped helix purple and pink coralline into the tank (no one reported this as a solution but I thought that if I have coralline all over it may out compete Dino’s for the necessary trace elements).

I can happily report I have no hint of Dino’s and I now have coralline. it’s been 2 months since. I’m cautiously optimistic that I have successfully beaten Dino’s.
hope this helps
Hi,
I’m currently battling my first case of dinos. Do you have fish and corals? What did you do with them during the blackout period? Just curious how they all survived before I begin the blackout. I also have a few corals attached to rocks. Any advice on how to scrub the rock with the corals attached?

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m currently battling my first case of dinos. Do you have fish and corals? What did you do with them during the blackout period? Just curious how they all survived before I begin the blackout. I also have a few corals attached to rocks. Any advice on how to scrub the rock with the corals attached?
Had the whole 9 yards, the fish and coral were fine with a 3 day black out. Leave them in the tank and feed as usual for 5 mins before placing the blackout top back on. I wouldn't scrub the rock till the black out is over, or do it pre blackout with a toothbrush. At most a water change after would be sufficient

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back