OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was about 7 my Dad gave me my first hammer, saw and drill and some advice drill twice and measure once!! Good to see some 45 years later I remember it well.... good job there only 83mm holes and don’t really show...

BE2B4635-DC78-4185-A29D-C2A56A6F8AC6.jpeg

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added several new fish over the last month, and the tank now is just about fully stocked, 36 at today’s count, here’s an upto date list. None of these fish have been chemoquarantined, @Lasse @Paul B @MnFish1
I have lost 5 fish over the 8 month period I’ve been restocking a bristletooth tang to extreme bullying, (white tails are the most aggressive tangs I’ve ever kept) a male melanarus wrasse to jumping. A Poma angel to an eye injury that became infected and I couldn’t catch it to treat. A female flame angel that just died and the same with an exquisite wrasse. I have had the odd small breakout of Ick that resolved in a few days. I know these are none of these are Ick magnet fish, but still a higher attrition rate than I’d like. 41 fish introduced 36 are fine, but only 2 of the deaths could possibly be attributed to disease even though neither exhibited any symptoms or showed any visual sign upon visual inspection after death.
1 white tail bristle tooth tang
1 Potters dwarf Angel
1 Flame Angel
1 Tygerpyre dwarf angel
Pair of Maroon Clowns
1 Yellow Assessor
1 Arabian dottyback
1 Blue damsel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Chalk Basslet
2 silver belly banana Wrasse - Halichoeres leucoxanthus
1 Banana Wrasse - Halichoeres chrysus
Iridis wrasse - Halichoeres iridis
1 carpenters wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri
2 McCoskers wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia
Noaoke wrasse - Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cleaner wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus
Melanarus wrasse - Halichoeres melanurus
Vivienne Leopard wrasse - Macropharyngodon vivienae
yellowbanded Fairy wrasse - Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus
Blue Spot tamarin wrasse - Anampses caeruleopunctatus
Twisti wrasse - Anampses twistii
2 peacock wrasse - Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Adorned wrasse - Halichoeres cosmetus
Blue head Solon wrasse - Cirrhilabrus solorensis
1 unknown fairy wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy wrasse - Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis
Female Jordani wrasse - Cirrhilabrus jordani
sub male Rhomboid wrasse - Cirrhilabrus Rhomboidalis

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve added several new fish over the last month, and the tank now is just about fully stocked, 36 at today’s count, here’s an upto date list. None of these fish have been chemoquarantined, @Lasse @Paul B @MnFish1
I have lost 5 fish over the 8 month period I’ve been restocking a bristletooth tang to extreme bullying, (white tails are the most aggressive tangs I’ve ever kept) a male melanarus wrasse to jumping. A Poma angel to an eye injury that became infected and I couldn’t catch it to treat. A female flame angel that just died and the same with an exquisite wrasse. I have had the odd small breakout of Ick that resolved in a few days. I know these are none of these are Ick magnet fish, but still a higher attrition rate than I’d like. 41 fish introduced 36 are fine, but only 2 of the deaths could possibly be attributed to disease even though neither exhibited any symptoms or showed any visual sign upon visual inspection after death.
1 white tail bristle tooth tang
1 scribbled angel
1 Bicolor dwarf angel
1 Potters dwarf Angel
1 Flame Angel
1 Pygmy Fireball Angel
Pair of Maroon Clowns
1 Yellow Assessor
1 Arabian dottyback
1 Blue damsel
1 Royal Gramma
1 tobacco basslet
1 Chalk Basslet
2 silver belly banana Wrasse
1 Banana Wrasse
Iridis wrasse
2 carpenters wrasse
1 McCoskers wrasse
Pair of Cirrhilabrus roseafasciawrasse
Noaoke wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Filamentus wrasse
Katherine wrasse
Blue Spot tamarin wrasse
Twisti wrasse
2 peacock wrasse
Adorned wrasse
Blue head Solon wrasse
1 unknown fairy wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy wrasse
It seems like you answered your own question perhaps - if indeed 36/41 look/are healthy it seems like it might be aggression type behavior. One thing that happens with fish is that lets say there are 41 fish - one is weak - it will get picked on - soon there are 40 - now the next weakest fish will get picked on until there are 39, etc etc. Until a certain balance is established.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you answered your own question perhaps - if indeed 36/41 look/are healthy it seems like it might be aggression type behavior. One thing that happens with fish is that lets say there are 41 fish - one is weak - it will get picked on - soon there are 40 - now the next weakest fish will get picked on until there are 39, etc etc. Until a certain balance is established.
Yes indeed, one bristletooth bullied the other to death (that was several months ago now) and the remaining one gives newcomers a hard time for a day or 2, then all is ok. I put the post up to mainly show that despite no chemoquarantine only 2 fish potentially died from disease

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes indeed, one bristletooth bullied the other to death (that was several months ago now) and the remaining one gives newcomers a hard time for a day or 2, then all is ok. I put the post up to mainly show that despite no chemoquarantine only 2 fish potentially died from disease

Yes - it also shows that stress can cause disease to appear. (I think)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there we go all fixed... you can’t even tell, hope it will be dark when she gets home...lol
E9F6542D-1BD2-4B2C-848F-E8ED273E7B01.jpeg
You can hardly tell! Lol

That’s the sort of thing I do.....

And the tank looks beautiful from those recent pictures

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hardly tell! Lol

That’s the sort of thing I do.....

And the tank looks beautiful from those recent pictures
Lol Just need the cupboard to arrive so I can cover it up slightly more permanently...
And thankyou and thanks for stopping by, good to see someone so close to me in the forum..

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new cabinets for my Deltec Ext skimmer and RO top off and AWC and ATO maxi dosers is coming along nicely. I’ve connected up the dosing pumps, and tested them all. Just need to plumb the skimmer in tomorrow and fingers crossed no leaks, I’ve never used an external skimmer before. Even Sid my staffy seems to like his new cupboard...
4791327A-DA0B-498E-AB03-0B93FA294F64.jpeg
011E771E-EDFB-4D80-B14B-C84008E43913.jpeg

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KHD to the rescue!! Now those who know me, know I’ve been somewhat challenging over my KHD and it took me over a year to turn control over to it, but for those in any doubt about the value of these devices, earlier today I got a reading of 7.6 a drop of 0.2 since my last reading, unusual as it was during lights off, but nothing to worry about then 6 hrs later a reading of 6.6 dkh... now I am wondering what’s up.... a quick check around, and low and behold a blocked dosing tube on my ATI pro 1.... I’m buffering back up to 7.8 now over the next few days...

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo no leaks, my skimmers plumbed and running!! just need to get it dialled in now and fingers crossed the pipework holds up... the skimmers fed with a vortech S2 return pump. I’ve got the avast skimmate locker programmed into my P4 and along with a flow meter and programmable logic to switch the skimmer recycling pump off if levels go wrong, so I don’t run the pump dry.
20D32CF9-6B48-46C6-9D9F-0A480F85B76A.jpeg

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By going external with my skimmer I’ve been able to increase the size of my algae bed to 3ft x 2ft, I’ve also invested in a AI fuge light, to early to say its made any difference or not but my ph low has increased from 7.95 to 8.05 in a few days... I’ve ordered a couple of more varieties of calaurpa to add to the bed, hopefully be here in a few days.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 7 hour round trip yesterday to fetch this little beauty, he didn’t get a nice reception from my potters and bicolour angels so there on the naughty step in the sump, for a week or so... he’s eating well and exploring everywhere, just needs a few days to get his breath back and colour up fully again..

A154196D-A84B-4436-A098-BD8AAC934715.jpeg

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always something new in this hobby!!! While messing around with nets and fish traps, catching errant angels earlier, I moved a jump guard.... 10 minutes later I wondered what Sid my dog was going mad at.... my male rosefascia wrasse was in his bed... he’d taken a dive... scooped him up and put him back in, he’s not him self but still alive, so fingers crossed

Rumplestilskin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my wrasses.. the scribbled angel is a real diva and tries to get into every pic..

568C951E-CA0C-4D83-AEDE-0C7CD9B4B812.jpeg
DFDA3D59-8E3C-4AAA-8488-F758824544F9.jpeg
Your scribbled doesnt mess with any of your corals? I got 2 last week in my mixed tank and they just snip at my gorgonians but otherwise are okay. The guy I got them from told me they would eat clams but not coral

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your scribbled doesnt mess with any of your corals? I got 2 last week in my mixed tank and they just snip at my gorgonians but otherwise are okay. The guy I got them from told me they would eat clams but not coral
He’s been fine so far, but I am predominantly sps

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back