Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a fun process and way more work than I anticipated. Super rewarding though as I complete each step! I’ll need 10 years time to want to do this again
Haha, 10 years was just about right for me. It's been several years since I've been on r2r. And just over 10 years since my last build...a 1500 gallon. That was exhausting and I really thought I was done after that. Guess what...here I am looking at your build and kicking around ideas for my next one. I have 2 more years of posts to read to get caught up on your build but so far very impressed with your extreme over-building (especially at the worst time in our lifetimes for buying materials... 2022 may have been a little worse. )
I look forward to checking out the rest of this and hopefully picking up some ideas before I start mine.
My 1 question as of now, how you feel about the acrylic panels so far?
I swore I'd never ever do another acrylic tank...my existing tank is an 8.5' acrylic octagon that's so scratched up, I hate it!
I'm coming back to reality and realizing that there's a reason nobody uses glass for monster tanks.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, 10 years was just about right for me. It's been several years since I've been on r2r. And just over 10 years since my last build...a 1500 gallon. That was exhausting and I really thought I was done after that. Guess what...here I am looking at your build and kicking around ideas for my next one. I have 2 more years of posts to read to get caught up on your build but so far very impressed with your extreme over-building (especially at the worst time in our lifetimes for buying materials... 2022 may have been a little worse. )
I look forward to checking out the rest of this and hopefully picking up some ideas before I start mine.
My 1 question as of now, how you feel about the acrylic panels so far?
I swore I'd never ever do another acrylic tank...my existing tank is an 8.5' acrylic octagon that's so scratched up, I hate it!
I'm coming back to reality and realizing that there's a reason nobody uses glass for monster tanks.
That’s awesome, glad you are back!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

the acrylic panels are good for many things. Only drawback in my humble opinion is the scratches… but even those can be buffed out so I’m still happy with my choice.

welcome along this crazy journey!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5CC26F7B-ED60-40C3-9DB8-D3641A1FBEB5.jpeg
25914E0E-215F-4492-B5DE-93D56332436D.jpeg

I was invited to speak about the build of our aquarium at the local reef club (Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society) last Thursday.

It was a lot of fun seeing many old reefing buddies and making some new ones!

My whole family came out to have a listen. Fun times!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finally had a chance to dive the tank and move some SPS to their forever homes! Fingers crossed!

That was about a 50 minute dive and I got a ton of stuff moved into better spots!!

Still have all the frags in the frag tank to move too but that will have to be another day! LOL!

Placed a huge rock on the Hydro Wizard DIY mount to keep the front of it down when I crank it up to 50%… tank is flowing nicely again!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome as always! Is the brevirostris the biggest in the tank currently?
I really have 5 bigs right now:

1 - Naso annulatus (white margin unicorn)
2 - Naso vlamingii (vlamingii)
3 - Acanthurus xanthopterus (yellowfin surgeonfish)
4 - Naso hexacanthus (sleek unicornfish)
5 - Naso brevirostris (spotted unicornfish)
6 - Orangespot rabbitfish
IMG_7550.jpeg
IMG_7552.jpeg
IMG_7553.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7556.jpeg
IMG_7551.jpeg

Last edited:

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!

The 2 biggest of those fish couldn't even turn around in my 75 gallon. Those fish are huge in person and thick.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brevirostris is going to be better and better as it grows. Very cool fish that the average person really could not/should not have. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back