Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s a matter of ability or just being slammed with work and for whatever reason, your build is less important?
Honestly, I think he's a super smart and talented guy with a more lucrative opportunity in the medical space. Aquariums have always been his hobby so it is fun to tinker with building new things, specially as an engineer, for his systems. Without a team he can trust to run Aquarium Engineering it just sucks up too much of his time. That's just my opinion... ;)

He did mention that he is still working with some of his clients. My custom gear is all one off stuff he would have to put some time into so I think that's why he didn't just knock it out.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think he's a super smart and talented guy with a more lucrative opportunity in the medical space. Aquariums have always been his hobby so it is fun to tinker with building new things, specially as an engineer, for his systems. Without a team he can trust to run Aquarium Engineering it just sucks up too much of his time. That's just my opinion... ;)

He did mention that he is still working with some of his clients. My custom gear is all one off stuff he would have to put some time into so I think that's why he didn't just knock it out.
If this isn’t his “day job” that makes complete sense. When I worked in a plastic fabrication shop, it was all medical equipment and aerospace. I can’t imagine that the equipment we need is even remotely competitive with those industries. I build high end staircases and from time to time people ask me to build generic stuff for them and I tell them I could do it but it would likely cost them 3 times as much for me to do it vs someone else.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build high end staircases and from time to time people ask me to build generic stuff for them and I tell them I could do it but it would likely cost them 3 times as much for me to do it vs someone else.
Even it was wasn't actually true, it's a good excuse to get out of building something you don't want to build. :0)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this isn’t his “day job” that makes complete sense. When I worked in a plastic fabrication shop, it was all medical equipment and aerospace. I can’t imagine that the equipment we need is even remotely competitive with those industries. I build high end staircases and from time to time people ask me to build generic stuff for them and I tell them I could do it but it would likely cost them 3 times as much for me to do it vs someone else.
That's a great/perfect example! Totally agree!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4687910-BF7F-4111-8788-9492BFF216DD.jpeg
9E07F748-57F9-4412-A7C8-D1A3FE66A950.jpeg

Had this dwarf golden moray eel for a few years now. Usually only appears when he’s hungry! He’s going to be easier to spot now that he’s in the 240gal holding tank!!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charging 3x the price is a typical contractor move when they don't want to do the job, but they also don't want to tell a customer no.
This does happen with some contractors, but I’m pretty upfront and transparent with my customers. When I talked about being 3x the price of what they likely could find someone else to do it for, I equate it to going to your doctor to put a bandaid on (not a perfect analogy but you get the picture). You wouldn’t expect him to lower his price just to be in line with what other people without the knowledge and experience could do it for. Ultimately, you want your contractor to want to do your project. It’s just better for all parties.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's the led cannons from?
ecoxotic for the whites... https://www.ecoxotic.com/products/cannon-pro-led-160/

120 degree lenses on them, I can add the blue ones in between each quadrant if needed in addition to the Reefbrite XHO bars... Really just looking to light down to about 4-5' depth for the main corals with other low light corals below that... We will see, I can always add more cannons as needed...

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ecoxotic for the whites... https://www.ecoxotic.com/products/cannon-pro-led-160/

120 degree lenses on them, I can add the blue ones in between each quadrant if needed in addition to the Reefbrite XHO bars... Really just looking to light down to about 4-5' depth for the main corals with other low light corals below that... We will see, I can always add more cannons as needed...
Not going Halides anymore?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As if I wasn't already jealous of your new tank... your "holding tank" is better than mine as well.

1646417278682.png
It's all good, thanks for checking it out! Your filter room is off the charts cool... that pink backer board is a nice touch!! ;)
10k I'm assuming. Are you able to get them high enough? Must be better option or more budget friendly than the kessil 500 then?
A pencil
I went onsite to some commercial builds and was sold on the punch of these cannons for the watt's... we will see how they do with the XHO's. They will provide the 10k whites. I will put on the 120 degree lense because of the proximity to the water. I can always swap out or add lights as needed.
Not going Halides anymore?
I still have 9 MH set ups but will start with these LEDs and see how they do... They claim to have better penetration than Halides:
  • Superior water penetration compared to halides
I'm sure it will take a few iterations to get the lighting dialed in

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good, thanks for checking it out! Your filter room is off the charts cool... that pink backer board is a nice touch!! ;)

I went onsite to some commercial builds and was sold on the punch of these cannons for the watt's... we will see how they do with the XHO's. They will provide the 10k whites. I will put on the 120 degree lense because of the proximity to the water. I can always swap out or add lights as needed.

I still have 9 MH set ups but will start with these LEDs and see how they do... They claim to have better penetration than Halides:
  • Superior water penetration compared to halides
I'm sure it will take a few iterations to get the lighting dialed in
When you saw them in person were you able to see them on a reef? I know Shedd aquarium in Chicago used them before. But it's been years since I've gone to see the filtration and such

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you saw them in person were you able to see them on a reef? I know Shedd aquarium in Chicago used them before. But it's been years since I've gone to see the filtration and such
I saw them on a fish only 17k gallon tank lighting up to a 20’ depth… worked with the rep to configure them for my specific footprint and added over double the number of cannons to provide the par needed for the corals. They are battle tested and the most reliable of all the cannons my friend has tested with his unlimited budget over 11 different commercial tanks… and they have great customer service. Guess I’m relying on his first hand experience a bit with the white spectrum LED lights for the tank. We will see how it does… I can always adjust as needed

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw them on a fish only 17k gallon tank lighting up to a 20’ depth… worked with the rep to configure them for my specific footprint and added over double the number of cannons to provide the par needed for the corals. They are battle tested and the most reliable of all the cannons my friend has tested with his unlimited budget over 11 different commercial tanks… and they have great customer service. Guess I’m relying on his first hand experience a bit with the white spectrum LED lights for the tank. We will see how it does… I can always adjust as needed
Sounds like a great plan. I wonder if they could've worked with you to get you a 15 or 18k look without having to add so many strips

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan. I wonder if they could've worked with you to get you a 15 or 18k look without having to add so many strips
I already had the strips so I wanted to use them if possible. Excited to see how it looks and what the PAR reading ends up being... Fingers crossed!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back