Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread tape is meant for metal fittings. Use the liquid version of thread tape for plastic fittings (It allows excess to squeeze out and not overstress the plastic fittings.) Then you shoudn't have this problem again.
Great idea! Thanks!

Hulked it didn't you...lol
I gave it a snug… but I have been lifting some weights lately LOL!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg

GPTempDownload.jpeg

Few fish pictures from an old GoPro video…

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally made it through the thread!

As someone who lives across the pond, I am very jealous. Sometimes just trying to get a bog standard 40 Gal breeder is hard work here!
Never mind, will just have to admire your incredible workmanship, care and dedication.

A couple of thoughts crossed my mind while making my way through the backlog: insurance. Have you had to declare your tank on your house insurance or do you have insured independently? Or not at all?

Also what is the climate like where you live? It is so wet, cold and miserable here in the UK that you would need to be a millionaire just to heat a tank that size!

Last edited:

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As someone who lives across the pond, I am very jealous. Sometimes just trying to get a bog standard 40 Gal breeder is hard work here!
Never mind, will just have to admire your incredible workmanship, care and dedication.

A couple of thoughts crossed my mind while making my way through the backlog: insurance. Have you had to declare your tank on your house insurance or do you have insured independently? Or not at all?

Also what is the climate like where you live? It is so wet, cold and miserable here in the UK that you would need to be a millionaire just to heat a tank that size!
I can answer to the climate, we live in a very dry climate in the mountains. We get snow from mid Nov- march typically and highs around 90's in the summer. Our climate is so dry that most new houses have humidifiers added to their hvac systems. Moisture is rarely an issue here as it would be in other parts of the US.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for checking it out! Love the feedback.

Good question... So far the system is incognito :astonished-face:... We have insurance on the house but no specific riders for the aquarium. I built it freestanding, independent of the house, in the middle of the room. I figure if it all goes down I will just fix it. (I realize that may not be the best solution)

I can answer to the climate, we live in a very dry climate in the mountains. We get snow from mid Nov- march typically and highs around 90's in the summer. Our climate is so dry that most new houses have humidifiers added to their hvac systems. Moisture is rarely an issue here as it would be in other parts of the US.
Thanks Brad! You are a good man!!

Yes, we live in a dry, semi-arid desert climate. One of the driest states in the country with one of the lowest relative humidities at 74.3% in December and 35.9% in July.

I'm far from a millionaire so I had to come up with a better solution for heating the tank. Heating the tank with running water from the house water heater through the heater coil in the sump has saved me tons of $$$$!! (Thanks AlexG!!) It stays at a consistent 77 degrees.

The tank I want:
IMG_3682.jpeg

The tank I “should” afford:
IMG_4944.jpeg

(300DD)

LOL!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thanks again for checking out the thread... ReefOn friend!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this tank! I'd love to see a front shot of how it's looking now!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back