Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after that should I expect acropora to thrive and not have tissue necrosis

I ask because in previous tank builds I seem to have plagues of tissue necrosis until roughly the year mark. I’m still amazed you had acros thriving in the second week. Do I have a correct idea of the process?

Interested to read the response to this as well.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a different testing kit (API) before, but I'm sure it was much higher....maybe around 20ppm
Prettty cool. So you can safely introduce animals and as long nitrates do not shoot up!!! Watch Nitrates and add corals. I have added in the day after the fill only some easy SPS like Montis and Staghorn corals to test the water and something I could not see..... diseases !!!
In the first week, I added almost all SPS I had and the few fish. Carbon dosing I do with my Nitrate Reactor so I do not do dose liquid carbon anymore, just for the ease.

Do weekly Biodigest and think about liquid carbon dosing. You see how powerful it is or can be ;-)
I personally recommend beginners to start with a mix of Vodka 20% and Vinegar 80%.
Avoid pure Vodka on the long run. At some point Cyano like it too much.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to read the response to this as well.
@Bpb

Good question guys !!!!
Let me say from experience there should be growth to see after 1-2 weeks when the corals adjusted a bit to the water.
In my case there was a fresh fill up and there is an issue that the water is pretty aggressive since fresh, but that goes away very fast and 1-2 weeks should be ok for acclimation. I did see growth definite in the 2nd week for sure!

One huge issue was that I trusted the fresh salt mix too much concerning the trace elements!!! I had to increase Potassion and Strontium and Magnesium since it was almost on the very low end, very disappointing for a fresh water mix!!!

After correction I saw some better growth, but was still not happy with coloration and growth.
So the ICP test brought a better picture!!!! Very important trace elements such as Bromine, Barium and others were far too low.
After the correction to the minimum levels of certain trace elements, the corals started really to take off as I was used to it.
Fortunately, since I make my own trace elements, the stuff I need, I have on hand anytime ;-)
Forum rules however do not allow me to talk too much about them here.

Concerning the STN, you really should read this post #433
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...-up-within-a-week.339591/page-22#post-4606753

That gives you a hint in case where your TN may come from ;-)
Your STN if taking care of the root cause, should stop within hours or at least days.
In my case the STN stopped and got under control from stress and diseases within the first few days.
But read this post.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a grow out contest picture history from frag receipt until today (2months).
This corals is known to be one of the harder ones to keep happy, and make them grow.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...discussion-thread.348108/page-15#post-4644991

April 14 8 weeks after receipt in a now 3 months old SPS system, the Andre way!
Not much to say, but that's just me ;)

And here the history.
March 15

Februar 15 - for comparison, fresh from Battlecorals, still slimy ;-)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre , besides a co2 scrubber and kalk, is there anything else that can raise chronic low ph?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre , besides a co2 scrubber and kalk, is there anything else that can raise chronic low ph?
Photosenthesis

Also, anyone with natural gas appliances inside their home has a better chance of low pH than those with all electric. Burning natural gas puts out a good amount of CO2.

Opening windows to let in fresh air also helps tremendously.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back