Andre's Reef Moonshiners Lagoon

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have read it 4-5 times. My reef is pretty simple as is. i need it simple since I travel for work and am back in college.
my big question is all the corals look great in the moonshiners program, but what about those that don’t run the overly blue tanks. What do their coral colors look like??

corey
I don’t run ultra blue and I’m actually going back to 14k halides, so it will be even better. Also, doesn’t really matter what lighting you choose, as long as the corals are getting the proper spectrum, you’ll be fine. Personally, I hate the ultra blue look, as it covers up a lot of colors and only highlights the fluorescence. You’ll never get true blue color from acropora using the “blue“ look, that comes from full spectrum lighting.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the blue winded tanks. But so many people think of this program and the amazing coral color. But my question is how much of that color is from the lights. Plenty of people use heavy blue and have crazy colors. So I was just curious about a 14-20k tank and how it looks.

corey

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate the blue winded tanks. But so many people think of this program and the amazing coral color. But my question is how much of that color is from the lights. Plenty of people use heavy blue and have crazy colors. So I was just curious about a 14-20k tank and how it looks.

corey
So, I usually run my current lights during peak hours with more white mixed in (essentially 14k - 16k look) and will have the heavy blue in the ramp up in the morning and ramp down in the evening. During these ramping times, you see all of the florescence or color pop. Those colors are there, but it's not until you excite them with certain spectrum(s) that they show themselves. For instance, you can use a 6500k metal halide bulb to grow acropora and to our eyes it may seem a little drab (for certain corals), but as soon as you add some blue spectrum to the mix, the colors "pop". But you'll never get true blue color with all blue lighting.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PSXerholic cool! thank you for using it for youtube, as I am not on facebook! I talked to a friend of mine about your program and he just ordered all his elements a few days ago! I think I am next....haha
corey
Go ahead and read up everywhere on the Reef Moonshiner's, it's like a wildfire in the hobby right now ;-)
One of the reasons I barely have time left on the forums etc. You won't hear much from me, I let the hobbyists that use it speak about it :)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read it. First time about 4 years ago probably. But I have read it again 2 times in the last 2 weeks. I have tons of question though so I’ll wait. No one near me yet uses it until he gets his stuff

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read it. First time about 4 years ago probably. But I have read it again 2 times in the last 2 weeks. I have tons of question though so I’ll wait. No one near me yet uses it until he gets his stuff
I've been using it going on two years. Added a calcium reactor and shortly afterwards started using moonshiners. I haven't done a water change since and corals have never looked better.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are people using it in the Columbus area….I’m in Erie Pa and I use it.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and read up everywhere on the Reef Moonshiner's, it's like a wildfire in the hobby right now ;-)
One of the reasons I barely have time left on the forums etc. You won't hear much from me, I let the hobbyists that use it speak about it :)
@biecacka don’t listen to this guy, he’s a dentist. He sells Fluoride for a living!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back