Anemone and Fish Compatibility

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to know about BTA compatibility with the fish I have. Basically, I have a YWG (who is basically always with its paired pistol shrimp) who is probably the smallest fish in the tank at around 1.5 inches. There is also a royal gramma (2-2.5 inches), a 4-5 inch starry blenny, and a clown who I am obviously not concerned about. Should I be concerned that if, for instance the RG or the YWG, accidentally run into a BTA, they will be killed and eaten? I'm looking to add a BTA, but trying to be thorough in my research before I do.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to know about BTA compatibility with the fish I have. Basically, I have a YWG (who is basically always with its paired pistol shrimp) who is probably the smallest fish in the tank at around 1.5 inches. There is also a royal gramma (2-2.5 inches), a 4-5 inch starry blenny, and a clown who I am obviously not concerned about. Should I be concerned that if, for instance the RG or the YWG, accidentally run into a BTA, they will be killed and eaten? I'm looking to add a BTA, but trying to be thorough in my research before I do.

I have a ton of much smaller gobies in my tank, and they seem to know to stay clear of the BTAs and Rock 'nems. I mean if they were to get sick and accidentally drift into the anemone, well then Mother Nature is probably going to do her thing, but for healthy fish they know to stay clear. The only other concern is whether the existing clown may feed the fish to the anemone. What type of clown is it, how large is it, and how aggressive is it?

I have read of some experiencing this, but my roughly 3"/ 3.5" Fire Clown has never bothered any of my smaller gobies, yet alone offered them up as a sacrificial 'nem snack.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a tiny goby online, and it must have been injured at some point in the delivery or acclimation process. The moment I added it to the tank, it drifted lifelessly straight into a BTA, and the 'nem had an instant 30-some dollar snack. :/

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of much smaller gobies in my tank, and they seem to know to stay clear of the BTAs and Rock 'nems. I mean if they were to get sick and accidentally drift into the anemone, well then Mother Nature is probably going to do her thing, but for healthy fish they know to stay clear. The only other concern is whether the existing clown may feed the fish to the anemone. What type of clown is it, how large is it, and how aggressive is it?
Ocellaris, maybe 2-2.5 inches, never seen it be aggressive. RG has been slightly nippy at the clown during feeding time, but frankly other than that, I have a lot of model citizens. There IS a cleaner shrimp in there as well, that is about 1.5-2 inches I'd guess. Risk of the clown trying to take that on? Will its behavior likely change once the nem is added?

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown is really established already and it doesn't bother the others then you will probably be ok. I mean they do get possessive of their anemone(s). My fire clown gets ***** anytime I approach the OUTSIDE of the tank within a foot or so, and then she starts doing some spastic tail flipping at me telling me to back off! LOL

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, Most, if not all, fish are pretty safe with BTA's. They are not really know as fish eaters. In the anemone world , they are kind of the weakling. As mentioned above, a sick fish may fall prey to one, but most healthy fish won't have an issue. Haddoni carpets on the other hand WILL eat healthy fish.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, Most, if not all, fish are pretty safe with BTA's. They are not really know as fish eaters. In the anemone world , they are kind of the weakling. As mentioned above, a sick fish may fall prey to one, but most healthy fish won't have an issue. Haddoni carpets on the other hand WILL eat healthy fish.
Yeah I do understand that weak and sick fish get eaten. It's kinda like people blaming their hermit crab for doing its job. In that case I don't mind the nem having a snack. I'd prefer it wasn't offing healthy fish though. I am aware of carpet nems. Only interested in a bta. And once it settles, some torches. I hear those out punch a bta by a long shot...

Back