Anemone care?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda want an anemone for ma clownfish, and I was wondering how hard bubble tip anemones are to keep, I have a FluvalSmart 32.5 gallon with the lighting that comes with it, would that lighting be good with it. And what should I feed it or should I feed it?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light will not do it for anemone. How long had your tank been running?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a lighting upgrade before trying. Have any other coral? Parameters stable?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a highly loaded question. Do you intend on trying to grow sps? What kind of budget are we talking here? The other end of it is parameters. Have you been testing and keeping them stable? Using RoDi water? I've had a few anemone now and the first couple didn't work out because I wasn't diligent enough on water chemistry

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a highly loaded question. Do you intend on trying to grow sps? What kind of budget are we talking here? The other end of it is parameters. Have you been testing and keeping them stable? Using RoDi water? I've had a few anemone now and the first couple didn't work out because I wasn't diligent enough on water chemistry
Dude I just test the water when I do water changes I don’t have a testing thing for all parameters I was just trying to get a cheap anemone that’s easy to take care of if there hard to keep them I won’t have one. No sps I wasn’t planning on them just more zoas maybe

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral will require testing along the way. Need to watch nitrate, phosphate, call, mag, alk. If you want to keep it simple I would recommend staying away from the anemone.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are not particularly easy. Much harder than zoas. There are some, like rock flower anemones, that are pretty easy, but they won't host a clownfish.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a light like AI PRIME 16 HD would probably get you to where you want for MOST corals and will suffice for an anemone.

Like everyone said, anemones require special care; testing parameters on a regular basis is recommended as they require a stable environment.

I'd even go as far as saying that 'nems' require more care than your clowns.

Before adding a anemone (suggest bubble tips) you should "baby proof" your tank by having protectors on the circulation pumps and intake areas, as they can be mobile and are at risk of being slaughtered by such pumps.

I've had my tank running for a year. And I was just like you at the beginning. I wanted a nem for my clowns to host, some people even say it's a requirement for homing clown fish (im not part of that catagory). They can grow very big and can literally take over a tank (which is one of the downsides of owning an anemone).

If you do decide to add a nem, make sure you do your due diligence by properly researching. I read lots of threads on these forums, and watched countless videos on the topic.

Very interesting creatures.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether anyone hosts or not . Isn’t guaranteed .
it can take
Months to years or possibly never and have clowns hosting a hammer coral 6” away from the anemone we would expect them to host .

Even keeping corals . Pick up some decent test kits .
api are ok for the time being but notorious for being inaccurate .
Salifert are decent for cal , mag , alk , phosphate and nitrate .
I have recently upgraded to Hanna checkers for alk , phosphorus , salinity ,
Rodi system makes water changes a lit cheaper in the long run .

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I just test the water when I do water changes I don’t have a testing thing for all parameters I was just trying to get a cheap anemone that’s easy to take care of if there hard to keep them I won’t have one. No sps I wasn’t planning on them just more zoas maybe
Yeah !!! Keep it simple and have fun! As long as you have good salinity control and RODI water you are good to go for a average anemone get a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, if your water parameters are bad the anemone will split so you will have two if the water parameters are good it will split as well lol Just have fun and enjoy the hobby, testing for all parameters is crazy

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back