Anemone/Clown tank.....

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... here goes...

I am starting my First Saltwater tank. Its been up for almost 3 Months now... My tank is a 75 Gal with a 30 gal sump.

the inhabitants consist of a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, a handful of snails and a handful of hermits. And most recently a "Watermelon Bubbletip" anemone.

Everything is doing fine. When I started the journey my goal was a mixed reef with an anemone/Clown pairing... either one or two clowns...

Here is where i'm uncertain....... I am starting to feel like I might want an all Anemone tank with a Handful of Clowns. Maybe different types of Anemones and different types of Clowns?

I know there can be some aggression issues with clowns, but I have also seen people with anywhere from 2 clowns to 20 or more... I'm sure there are circumstances to every scenario.... so this is mostly a "what if" type post... trying to figure out where to go with my thoughts.

1. My Reasoning : Anemones will kill other Corals.... if i do all Anemones, I remove this issue?

2. Maybe with a lot of Anemones i can maybe have some other types of Corals? like sorta isolated... maybe in the sand, not on rock? like Mushrooms? rock flowers? something else?

3. With lots of Anemones I could possibly keep more than 2 Clowns? maybe different types? ( I know I'm repeating myself :) )

I guess I'll start there and see where this goes.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a pair of clownfish with an anemone is probably the best route for most, unless you do a lot of research on clownfish harems. You can easily keep coral with most anemones as well, shouldn't be much of an issue. Some will roam but you just have to be careful with your placement of everything. I have 2 clarkii clownfish with a haddoni anemone and I keep coral and other fish/inverts as well. Altho haddoni are not roamers, I've heard BTAs can run marathons on a tank if they are not happy

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown harem tanks are started with juvies all from the same clutch, that's really the best chance for long term success.
You do not have to have more than one anemone for this.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a pair of clownfish with an anemone is probably the best route for most, unless you do a lot of research on clownfish harems. You can easily keep coral with most anemones as well, shouldn't be much of an issue. Some will roam but you just have to be careful with your placement of everything. I have 2 clarkii clownfish with a haddoni anemone and I keep coral and other fish/inverts as well. Altho haddoni are not roamers, I've heard BTAs can run marathons on a tank if they are not happy
Lol yes I have heard the same... And, I know I could keep others, but the thought of a small harem and lots of Anemones is more and more sounding fun....

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown harem tanks are started with juvies all from the same clutch, that's really the best chance for long term success.
You do not have to have more than one anemone for this.
Nice info :) I don't mind doing that or seeing if I can.... And I'd like multiple Nems I think, now that I have one.... I'm liking it.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'd suggest not rushing out for more just yet, see what this one does, as you kinda rushed on getting a nem.
We usually advise at least 6 mo running time first for nems, so lets see how lucky you are on having stability.

Also there's a good chance the one you have may split from new param/tank stress, pretty common.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'd suggest not rushing out for more just yet, see what this one does, as you kinda rushed on getting a nem.
We usually advise at least 6 mo running time first for nems, so lets see how lucky you are on having stability.

Also there's a good chance the one you have may split from new param/tank stress, pretty common.
Fair enough. :) I'm not in a rush at all. Just talking to some people I got conflicting advice.... Wait six months... Others say they have had just fine luck on a few months..... So yes, I know I'm chancing it a little.

But I'm usually pretty patient, so to do it right I'd wait for a clutch of juvies if that's the recommendations.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are fine to get anytime, just try to pick a good breeder, look at them for typical defects, bulldog face, stubby, underbites, things like that.
I've seen a number of people selling groups from same clutch lately as this becomes more popular.

Hopefully your luck runs well on the nem.
It's more critical for most other types of host nems, BTA's can be more forgiving.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are fine to get anytime, just try to pick a good breeder, look at them for typical defects, bulldog face, stubby, underbites, things like that.
I've seen a number of people selling groups from same clutch lately as this becomes more popular.

Hopefully your luck runs well on the nem.
It's more critical for most other types of host nems, BTA's can be more forgiving.
I appreciate the advice :) any recommendations on sources of clowns?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back