Anemone compatibility: Bta, Sebae vs S.Gig

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently having a Nem tank with around 17 BTA, 1 SRBTA, 2 Sebae. My question is I want to add a S.Gig ( small/medium), can I do that ?
I know new nem will find its own spot to settle, will it kill my other nem?
Most of the Btas are about 4 inches aboved the sandbed.
Anyone have experiences keeping different nem in one tank please help :)
Thank you

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently having a Nem tank with around 17 BTA, 1 SRBTA, 2 Sebae. My question is I want to add a S.Gig ( small/medium), can I do that ?
I know new nem will find its own spot to settle, will it kill my other nem?
Most of the Btas are about 4 inches aboved the sandbed.
Anyone have experiences keeping different nem in one tank please help :)
Thank you

I never have been a fan of mixing anemones especially certain ones. BTA and Gig would probably be ok. The main anemone I have seen that seems to not like other anemones in the tank is H. Magnifica. Not to many issues with others though...

Gigs are pretty hard to get right now because of the Indo ban...I think they do come from the Philippines in lesser quantities too but quality is not supposed to be as good.
A couple of the California wholesalers and cherry pickers grab them.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have been a fan of mixing anemones especially certain ones. BTA and Gig would probably be ok. The main anemone I have seen that seems to not like other anemones in the tank is H. Magnifica. Not to many issues with others though...

Gigs are pretty hard to get right now because of the Indo ban...They do come from the Philippines in lesser quantities too I guess but quality is not supposed to be as good.
A couple of the California wholesalers and cherry pickers grab them.
As I know, Sebae will not do well with other nem ( from the compatibility chart on r2r) but my 2 sebae and my bta touch each other without problem. I just worry about Gigs.
I had H.mag before, it moved alot and always try to find the highest place in my tank. I want to try Gig this time.

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping RBTA’s and a Gig in my tank for years without issue. Although, they’re on opposite sides of the tank and never come in physical contact. So, allelopathy hasn’t been a problem in my tank. I don’t use carbon either.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my haddoni, it was doing poorly until I moved the large BTAs near it. This was in a small area for qt. Once I moved the BTAs, it was fine. Now in my 210g, I have two haddoni, 4 large BTAs, Maxi mini, rock nems, and all are playing well so far. The carpet now sits under the rock with the BTAs. The BTAs are all higher on rock as they like more light I guess. :)

I would say it depends on size a tank? Also what is the SRBTA? I do not have all the jargon down even after 17 years. :)

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my haddoni, it was doing poorly until I moved the large BTAs near it. This was in a small area for qt. Once I moved the BTAs, it was fine. Now in my 210g, I have two haddoni, 4 large BTAs, Maxi mini, rock nems, and all are playing well so far. The carpet now sits under the rock with the BTAs. The BTAs are all higher on rock as they like more light I guess. :)

I would say it depends on size a tank? Also what is the SRBTA? I do not have all the jargon down even after 17 years. :)
It is a Sherman Rose Bta

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
50/50 whether they'll fight it out. I had a small 2" BTA whip a large Gigs butt via allelopathy, BTA removed and Gig was fine.

Yea Allelopathy is what I see with mags. They will move as far away from other anemones. It is not necessarily stinging.
It is why I do not like mixing anemones. I do not see much with btas, rock or maxi minis myself but I would not doubt they can be a issue.

I doubt a reef no matter what size makes much a difference with Allelopathy. Maybe more to do with water changes and possibly carbon or polyfilters etc. it is thought they can remove these chemicals but never proven that I know of.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA and gig are OK. I have 1 gig touching several BTA for a month and they seems ok. Note that the gig is only 3". I don't know of larger gig has stronger sting.

In one of Orion's older posts, he said they are fine.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to point me to a paper on anemone allelopathy. I think it's been blown out of proportion based on anecdotal evidence. Anemones have a physical defense (nematocysts) so I don't understand why they would need a second line of defense. I could be wrong. Anyway...

I have 3 BTAs in a tank with 6 gigs, and they're all fine. It's a 60 gallon flat. I run carbon in a reactor.

One thing to note: small gigs (under 5") are notoriously hard to care for. They're a lot more fragile than the larger ones, which if kept in even semi-decent conditions, they do fine. To give a small gig the optimal chance for survival, I wouldn't add any other nems in the tank. 18 BTAs versus 1 small gigs lowers the odds quite a bit for the gig. I guess it depends on how big the tank is.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back