Anemone eating fish!!

Allie234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! First marine tank after years of freshwater/brackish and all was going really well untillll.......I think my BTA has actually EATEN my juve red scooter blenny is this even possible?!! Found what was left of him sticking out of her greedy little mush! And she gets fed regularly so not starving. Poor Scoots!!☠️

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my knowledge this doesn’t happen to a healthy fish, only if they were already weakened to start. Can you give us some info on the blend? How long you had it, tank age, new additions etc

OP
OP
A

Allie234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my knowledge this doesn’t happen to a healthy fish, only if they were already weakened to start. Can you give us some info on the blend? How long you had it, tank age, new additions etc
175l tank, up and running for over two years but recently moved which I don't think helped (2 months ago) which is when we got it from a friend who wanted rid.

Like I say, have had years of fresh/brackish experience but marine is a whole new ball game.

Tank monitored by a Seneye system. Temp 28, salinity 1.024 nitrates this morning neg, ammonia neg.

Currently running a Fluval 407 and HOB refugium until I can work out how to build a sump. Refugium has copepods.

Current tankmates one cardinal, one royal gramma, one tuxedo urchin, one (killer lol) BTA, two cleaner shrimp, two hermit crabs and I did have poor Scoots!!

Any advice absolutely welcome and probably vital but please be kind, am still learning and some forums I have seen can be vicious and I may cry lol, am already traumatised about the blenny

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
175l tank, up and running for over two years but recently moved which I don't think helped (2 months ago) which is when we got it from a friend who wanted rid.

Like I say, have had years of fresh/brackish experience but marine is a whole new ball game.

Tank monitored by a Seneye system. Temp 28, salinity 1.024 nitrates this morning neg, ammonia neg.

Currently running a Fluval 407 and HOB refugium until I can work out how to build a sump. Refugium has copepods.

Current tankmates one cardinal, one royal gramma, one tuxedo urchin, one (killer lol) BTA, two cleaner shrimp, two hermit crabs and I did have poor Scoots!!

Any advice absolutely welcome and probably vital but please be kind, am still learning and some forums I have seen can be vicious and I may cry lol, am already traumatised about the blenny
It’s not a common situation to be in from what I’ve read, but I still would say that the fish was somehow weakened by something else in the system. A nems sting is not strong enough to completely know out a fish and eat them. You sure there were no large temperature swings lately? If so the fish could’ve gone in shock to weaken it enough

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back