Anemone for saddleback clowns

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have 2 saddleback clowns in my 60g cube and would like to add an anemone for them. They are pretty large so would need to be some what bigger to fit them. Was thinking possibly a long tentacle as I would prefer it to stay in the sand if possible. Let me know what you guys think and if you know of any reputable online venders that have a good selection.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddon's (Saddleback Carpet) Sea Anemone (S. haddoni)
Leathery (Sebae) Sea Anemone (Heteractis crispa) are what they natural host.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty sfin52 I would like a Haddon's but I've read they get pretty large.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty sfin52 I would like a Haddon's but I've read they get pretty large.
3 ft for saddle carpet
Sebae anemone is 20 inches. For a smaller tank this one is prob the best.

Last edited:

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take yrs for one to get 3’ kept multiple for 13 yrs that only grew 6-8”. Would sugest doing a species tank a 60 gallon cause they will eat other fish.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpets are my favorite nems for sure! I've just heard they get large and can sometimes eat other fish, so have been leery of them in my smaller tank.

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpets are my favorite nems for sure! I've just heard they get large and can sometimes eat other fish, so have been leery of them in my smaller tank.
That’s great that your planning, but once settled the nem should stay put. I had a hard time w small fish and always kept a moon light for them to see and feed on the same side of the tank.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Spartan! I will definitely consider this. Would you know of any reputable online stores that has them?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great that your planning, but once settled the nem should stay put. I had a hard time w small fish and always kept a moon light for them to see and feed on the same side of the tank.
I've seen some about 3ft across. It was massive

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last 180 I had a 24” red 10”blue 8” purple then sold them all
Well I pulled the trigger on a small what I think is a Haddon's that my lfs had, maybe 6" across. But now im second guessing my decision after reading more that they can be big fish eaters. I feel that any nem has the potential to eat a fish but the Haddon's seem to be known for it. For fish I have 2 saddleback clowns, 6 line wrasse l, small yellow tang and a pearly jawfish. Should o be concerned?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpets are know for eating fish. Their sting is potent and once they grab they don't like to let go

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pulled the trigger on a small what I think is a Haddon's that my lfs had, maybe 6" across. But now im second guessing my decision after reading more that they can be big fish eaters. I feel that any nem has the potential to eat a fish but the Haddon's seem to be known for it. For fish I have 2 saddleback clowns, 6 line wrasse l, small yellow tang and a pearly jawfish. Should o be concerned?
The jaw fish cause they hang close to the sand. If u can place it say in a corner of tank or where the rocks meet the sand bed would be best.

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic before u introduce to take I can help I’d it, need to see under side of oral disk to rule out a few species of anemones.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jaw fish cause they hang close to the sand. If u can place it say in a corner of tank or where the rocks meet the sand bed would be best.
Unfortunately I put it in the tank last night and it seems to have put it's foot down already. It is up against the rocks away from my jawfish's hole and he rarely stryas from from his hole. Here is the best pic I can get at the moment. Let me know what you think.
IMG_20191123_123759.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back