Anemone mouth bulged

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth of the magnificent anemone looks bulged to me n it's new to tank it's been 1 day it's not opening fully....I checked my salinity it's was very low 1.018...i need help is it dying?

IMG_20210123_210401.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly raise salinity over a week to 1.025.
My nem does this from time to time especially after he eats.
Your tank looks fairly new as well. Probably not the best enviornment for the anemone.

Can you list your parameters other than low salinity? I expect your alk to be quite low then too which would futher add to the problem.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? I got an anemone a few weeks after I started my tank up. Unfortunately it didn't last all but a week :/. I was reading posts on here that a tank should be at least six months old before adding anemones. I learned the hard way lol.

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly raise salinity over a week to 1.025.
My nem does this from time to time especially after he eats.
Your tank looks fairly new as well. Probably not the best enviornment for the anemone.

Can you list your parameters other than low salinity? I expect your alk to be quite low then too which would futher add to the problem.
My tank is a fish only tank n has been up for 1.5yrs now my ammonia n nitrates r 0 ph is 8.4 I don't have an alkalinity test kit...so don't know about that...the anemone was fully open in my lfs but it never opened in my tank ...I didn't acclimate it bcz the parameters of lfs n my tank were nearly equal last time I bought ..I just added it to the tank directly then the next day I saw my salinity was very low...so I got concerned...n read that magnificent anemones r very sensitive so idk wat to do

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a fish only tank n has been up for 1.5yrs now my ammonia n nitrates r 0 ph is 8.4 I don't have an alkalinity test kit...so don't know about that...the anemone was fully open in my lfs but it never opened in my tank ...I didn't acclimate it bcz the parameters of lfs n my tank were nearly equal last time I bought ..I just added it to the tank directly then the next day I saw my salinity was very low...so I got concerned...n read that magnificent anemones r very sensitive so idk wat to do
Ok, i understand that salinity is great for a FOWLR tank but not the nem.
I would advise to slowly raise salinity with new salt water mixed to 1.025 and small water chsnges over a week until you reach 1.025 and buy an alk, cal and mag test kit so you can keep on top of proper parameters for a reef tank.
The alk should raise slowly with ur water changes and will help.
Low alk can cause corals to melt rather quickly as well.

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i understand that salinity is great for a FOWLR tank but not the nem.
I would advise to slowly raise salinity with new salt water mixed to 1.025 and small water chsnges over a week until you reach 1.025 and buy an alk, cal and mag test kit so you can keep on top of proper parameters for a reef tank.
The alk should raise slowly with ur water changes and will help.
Low alk can cause corals to melt rather quickly as what the heck
Thanks for the help...can u tell wether the anemone looks healthy?it's tentacles r not too sticky it doesn't hold on to food n I haven't fed it anything yet...so the mouth seems scary to me

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help...can u tell wether the anemone looks healthy?it's tentacles r not too sticky it doesn't hold on to food n I haven't fed it anything yet...so the mouth seems scary to me
Since its only been in the tank for a day, and theres clearly issues, we wont know its health until after you place it in the correct enviornment.
I would hold off on feeding so it can use its energy to recover rather than trying to digest something. Could make it worse at this point.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non sticky anemone is a non healthy nemmie. Not healthy because of the tank it went into, not because of the store.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non sticky anemone is a non healthy nemmie. Not healthy because of the tank it went into, not because of the store.
It's also probably not sticking because it's going to try to move. It's in an environment that's hostile to it's life......

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also probably not sticking because it's going to try to move. It's in an environment that's hostile to it's life......
It's the tentacles that's not sticky , the anemone attached itself to a rock the second I placed it in the tank n it's very tightly attached , when I tried to move it it's not coming ,n it has not moved by itself

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its only been in the tank for a day, and theres clearly issues, we wont know its health until after you place it in the correct enviornment.
I would hold off on feeding so it can use its energy to recover rather than trying to digest something. Could make it worse at this point.
Okay thanks

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise salinity of a reef tank, add salt water as top off water until you get to the salinity you want. Do not add salt or hypertonic water to increase the salinity quickly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back