Anemone nursery - Phase 1

BrankoStoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly can I say how impressed I am with this forum and also the detailed discussions within it - Pure clean educated literature.
Now this is where i make myself look a fool (Dyslexia doesn't help).
Without going into my aquarium historical past, I want to set-up a new Anemone nursery that will allow me to nurture a selection of Anemones each within it's own defined space (moving screen partitions). So what i need is to identify anybody who has vast knowledge of looking after Anemones (feeding \ lighting). Also if anybody has already gone down this route in setting up a dedicated "Shallow tank" & equipment.
Please note I live in the UK (I'm looking for either a 4' of 5' tank with sump - best place to buy in the UK).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R! I'm happy you signed up. I can offer you some ideas but believe there are other reefers better qualified to give you some input. Therefore, I'll ask my friend, @Ron Reefman to chime in as he is big with rock flower anemones and can, more than likely, give some valuable ideas.

Oh, if you want, please introduce yourself in the "meet and greet" forum so others can also say hello, welcome you and give some input.
Here is a link to the "meet and greet" forum;

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/meet-greet-forum.129/

And one more place that would be good to post your question would be here;

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/anemone-clownfish-discussion.182/

tenor.gif

#welcometoreeftoreef

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. You are going to love it here. Sounds like an interesting setup. Would love to see this anemone tank come to life. Make sure to post a build thread in the "Member Tanks" section so we can all follow along.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @BrankoStoj and welcome to Reef2Reef.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.45.37 AM.png

I don't claim any real expertise, but I do have some real hands on experience with several different anemones. And as my friend @cursso1993 said, I'm seriously into Rock Flower Anemones (RFA from here on).

Most anemones used in the aquarium trade are photosynthetic, which means they have zooxanthellae (a type of algae) that live inside their body and do photosynthesis which helps feed the anemone. Some anemones can breed on their own like RFA's, some will divide on their own or can be divided by cutting them like Rose Bubble Tip anemones and maxi-mini anemones. Some are wanderers and may want to move around in your tank like Condy anemones. There are quite a few other anemones that many reefers use that make a good host to clownfish and I've had a few but I claim very little experience related to them. There are also a few reefers don't use much, but I have some experience with because I snorkel a lot in their habitat down in the Florida Keys (just 4-5 hours away from me).

Most of the nems like a fairly good, strong, slightly blue spectrum slanted light which works best for the zooxanthellae ability to do photosynthesis. Most are also quite tolerant of a good flow rate which could prove a bit difficult in a shallow and divided into sections aquarium like you are looking into.

So I assume you do have some saltwater aquarium experience? Some info in that regard would be very useful so we don't waste time discussing or explaining the basics if you are already experienced. If not, that's OK and we'll be happy to help with basics as well.

Any ideas about how deep you would like your tank to be? I made a 4'x2'x14" shallow reef tank that I used for years with locally collected critters. Do you have any idea what you would use to create divided sections? Use glass, egg crate, screen, netting, something else? Any idea which nems you are already interested in? Or how many different ones you'd like to keep?

We have a couple of Reef Squad members who live in the UK so I'll call on them, and the rest of the #ReefSquad to look in and see if we can help you.

OP
OP
B

BrankoStoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @BrankoStoj and welcome to Reef2Reef.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.45.37 AM.png

I don't claim any real expertise, but I do have some real hands on experience with several different anemones. And as my friend @cursso1993 said, I'm seriously into Rock Flower Anemones (RFA from here on).

Most anemones used in the aquarium trade are photosynthetic, which means they have zooxanthellae (a type of algae) that live inside their body and do photosynthesis which helps feed the anemone. Some anemones can breed on their own like RFA's, some will divide on their own or can be divided by cutting them like Rose Bubble Tip anemones and maxi-mini anemones. Some are wanderers and may want to move around in your tank like Condy anemones. There are quite a few other anemones that many reefers use that make a good host to clownfish and I've had a few but I claim very little experience related to them. There are also a few reefers don't use much, but I have some experience with because I snorkel a lot in their habitat down in the Florida Keys (just 4-5 hours away from me).

Most of the nems like a fairly good, strong, slightly blue spectrum slanted light which works best for the zooxanthellae ability to do photosynthesis. Most are also quite tolerant of a good flow rate which could prove a bit difficult in a shallow and divided into sections aquarium like you are looking into.

So I assume you do have some saltwater aquarium experience? Some info in that regard would be very useful so we don't waste time discussing or explaining the basics if you are already experienced. If not, that's OK and we'll be happy to help with basics as well.

Any ideas about how deep you would like your tank to be? I made a 4'x2'x14" shallow reef tank that I used for years with locally collected critters. Do you have any idea what you would use to create divided sections? Use glass, egg crate, screen, netting, something else? Any idea which nems you are already interested in? Or how many different ones you'd like to keep?

We have a couple of Reef Squad members who live in the UK so I'll call on them, and the rest of the #ReefSquad to look in and see if we can help you.
@Ron Reefman : Unfortunately I'm presently at work (IT Support Tech) so time is limited in answering your comments (Which I'm Grateful for), also it's awkward as I'm working away constantly (Contracting) returning for the weekends (Midlands UK). However I will make every endeavour to compile my vision and hopefully you can set me straight on whether I'm doing things right or wrong. However I do have a question on lighting, Presently i have a "Evergrow it5012" sat 12" above my tank, would this suffices or do you use any special lighting (Brand).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I use the Reef Breeders Photon V2+ which is the US version of that light with a couple of very minor (insignificant) led changes. For me, this is far and away the best light for the money. They produce good PAR, run very cool and look classy to my eye. Over my 40g cube I moved my fixture forward a bit on the tank and added a 2nd cheap fixture that looks similar but is all blue and white and no sunrise/sunset control. I use it as all blue only from mid morning to late evening. During the day it gives the back of my tank a more blue look than the front which just makes the 2' front to back dimension a bit deeper look. But it also adds more blue spectrum for photosynthesis and in the evening makes the corals and RFA's fluoresce like crazy. But in your situation, with a shallow tank and doing an anemone nursery, the extra blue is totally unnecessary.

I'm following your thread so reply when you can and I'll be alerted to it.

OP
OP
B

BrankoStoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I use the Reef Breeders Photon V2+ which is the US version of that light with a couple of very minor (insignificant) led changes. For me, this is far and away the best light for the money. They produce good PAR, run very cool and look classy to my eye. Over my 40g cube I moved my fixture forward a bit on the tank and added a 2nd cheap fixture that looks similar but is all blue and white and no sunrise/sunset control. I use it as all blue only from mid morning to late evening. During the day it gives the back of my tank a more blue look than the front which just makes the 2' front to back dimension a bit deeper look. But it also adds more blue spectrum for photosynthesis and in the evening makes the corals and RFA's fluoresce like crazy. But in your situation, with a shallow tank and doing an anemone nursery, the extra blue is totally unnecessary.

I'm following your thread so reply when you can and I'll be alerted to it.
Ron - Quick question, what settings have you applied to these lights...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron - Quick question, what settings have you applied to these lights...

I'm on vacation in the Keys right now and internet service is too slow. I'll get back to you on Monday, OK?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back