Anemone or Duncan?

emmasmithhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Zoa rock today and it has this on the end. I don’t know if it is a Duncan or an anemone it’s more purple in normal light. I bought a pair of clownfish the other week but don’t have an anemone yet so would be great if it is one!

F6AAB876-A3D5-48F6-815D-A0B53B20B110.jpeg D3D9D07F-C5DE-4386-8FF0-FE3C3F220866.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May be either Majano or anemone or ball anemone

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, definitely nem.
give a day or two to open and id.
welcome to the reef... :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
If it is a majano, they can becomes pests. Easiest way to remove without risk of spreading is linked below.

Just use a smaller pipe and smaller sponge. 1" pipe and clean never used dish sponge should work great.

Just do not do the vinegar or lemon juice injecting this, if it that large. It may cause it to split and release spores if not done perfectly.

OP
OP
E

emmasmithhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a majano, they can becomes pests. Easiest way to remove without risk of spreading is linked below.

Just use a smaller pipe and smaller sponge. 1" pipe and clean never used dish sponge should work great.

Just do not do the vinegar or lemon juice injecting this, if it that large. It may cause it to split and release spores if not done perfectly.

So I just went back to try an remove it and it’s gone. Like completely missing- not on the rocks or anything nearby! Is it under sand? If I kept it in the tank would it host my clowns?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just went back to try an remove it and it’s gone. Like completely missing- not on the rocks or anything nearby! Is it under sand? If I kept it in the tank would it host my clowns?
Wait a bit and you will see it. More than likely retracted for a bit. It could have walked, but just be on the lookout for it.

Also, they are not a hosting species.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Eagle_Steve, it’s probably retracted into a tiny hole in the rock. Majano anemones don’t host and typically stay pretty small. Most people consider them a pest, but they don’t spread as fast as aptasia, so if you want to enjoy it for a while it’s probably low risk.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back