Anemone Problem

jakeheisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beaded anemone looks like it’s eating itself and it’s turning green. Anyone know what’s happening? I got it yesterday

OP
OP
J

jakeheisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph is 8.3, ammonia and nitrate are just above zero but i have to do a water change today.

Attachments

• AFACF86C-96C6-42EA-93C9-EFDB4EAB2885.jpeg
    AFACF86C-96C6-42EA-93C9-EFDB4EAB2885.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph is 8.3, ammonia and nitrate are just above zero but i have to do a water change today.
Judging by the pristine whiteness of your sandbed, I’m going to assume your tank is weeks old. Anemones should really only be introduced into tanks that have been stable for 6+ months. That doesn’t matter now, but if this one doesn’t make it, and I don’t think it’s going to, hold off on getting any more anemones until your tank is stable and well-established. What are the rest of your params (specifically alk and salinity). It’s difficult to recommend a course of action without more information.

I don’t say this to be condescending, there are a lot of lessons we all have learn in this hobby (and some we will inevitably learn the hard way), but please do lots of research on any future inhabitants you plan to keep (impulse purchases are usually never a good thing in this hobby), and please, please ask here if you have any questions or are unsure about something (whether it’s about a species, water chemistry, or equipment) BEFORE pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jakeheisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the pristine whiteness of your sandbed, I’m going to assume your tank is weeks old. Anemones should really only be introduced into tanks that have been stable for 6+ months. That doesn’t matter now, but if this one doesn’t make it, and I don’t think it’s going to, hold off on getting any more anemones until your tank is stable and well-established. What are the rest of your params (specifically alk and salinity). It’s difficult to recommend a course of action without more information.

I don’t say this to be condescending, there are a lot of lessons we all have learn in this hobby (and some we will inevitably learn the hard way), but please do lots of research on any future inhabitants you plan to keep (impulse purchases are usually never a good thing in this hobby), and please, please ask here if you have any questions or are unsure about something (whether it’s about a species, water chemistry, or equipment) BEFORE pulling the trigger.
my tank is not quite 6 months old but i do have other anemones that are perfectly healthy and have been for awhile. my sand bed is actually so clean due to it being stirred up by gobys and snails.
Its turning itself inside out. If it continues this, it's a goner.
anyway to stop it?

Upvote 0

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree your tank looks to pristine. I am guessing it was set up with dry rock,, which takes much longer to become established. Ammonia should be undetectable, as it is toxic. If your tank is almost 6 month old there should be no detectable ammonia.
I don't know about that anemone, but most like higher nitrates as it is a food source for them. What are your Alk, salinity and phosphate levels?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back