Anemone Question

PAReefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering an anemone only 20 gallon tank. The idea being as many different species as the tank allows. But then that's the question. How many anemones can you humanly have in a 20 gallon tank? I noticed Tidal Gardens has what looks like a 20 gal filled with Long Tentacle Anemones. But he has a single species tank where I am considering a multi species tank.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count on anemones getting along well with each other. Nems of the same species will not hurt each other when crowded together, but there should be no expectation of that among different species, and they will eventually move around and crowd each other, especially in a relatively small tank.

I think the better bet would be a single variety of anemone that comes with the colors/looks you want, and then commensal shrimp or crabs if you need some more variety.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different species even variations of the same in different colors can have issues. What type of anemone are you trying to keep? I have 2 BTA that would about fill a 20g at this point. Given the right conditions they can thrive.
@Eagle_Steve @Lost in the Sauce @OrionN

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a few others above have said, 20 gallons does not give you a lot of room.

If I had those size constraints and still wanted and an anenome dominated tank, I would probably do something fun like have a RFA- mini maxi dominated tank, with one choice LTA flowing centerpiece. I'm talking 50+ RFA and m/m. Both RFA and Mini maxis will huddle and don't mind snuggling together.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LTA and a beaded anemone(Heteractis Aurora)(both sand dwelling anemones)in a IM Nuvo 20(really about 14 gallons with rock) and it's a bare bottom tank. In 2 months I will have them for 2 years. Anything is possible. Will try to post picture tomorrow(at work now).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a few others above have said, 20 gallons does not give you a lot of room.

If I had those size constraints and still wanted and an anenome dominated tank, I would probably do something fun like have a RFA- mini maxi dominated tank, with one choice LTA flowing centerpiece. I'm talking 50+ RFA and m/m. Both RFA and Mini maxis will huddle and don't mind snuggling together.
This right here.

I do have a very large tank with numerous different nems that huddle together, but that tank has a massive amount of carbon being run, is tied into a mangrove lagoon tank full of macro and is quite a bit of water. I do not recommend multi species tanks being that small, excluding mini maxi/rfa and maybe a bta or lta as a center piece.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LTA and a beaded anemone(Heteractis Aurora)(both sand dwelling anemones)in a IM Nuvo 20(really about 14 gallons with rock) and it's a bare bottom tank. In 2 months I will have them for 2 years. Anything is possible. Will try to post picture tomorrow(at work now).
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG

First thing in morning, everything just waking up.
Oh, run one little bag of chemi-pure blue nano in a filter sock, that gets changed every couple months.

OP
OP
P

PAReefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here.

I do have a very large tank with numerous different nems that huddle together, but that tank has a massive amount of carbon being run, is tied into a mangrove lagoon tank full of macro and is quite a bit of water. I do not recommend multi species tanks being that small, excluding mini maxi/rfa and maybe a bta or lta as a center piece.
Thanks for that reply. Hey do you have any pics of your tank and set up. That sounds pretty interesting.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's the idea there.
This is in 500 or so gallons of water between all of the tanks and is based with 25-30 year old live rock that has never been dry. I also run a ton of carbon and the water has to be kept pristine. Anything outside of that, and I have issues with the nems wanting to fight.

Not saying that this is needed, but I know when my carbon is about depleted, as the nems react to each other. The mags will ball up and the haddoni will attempt to curl over and sting every other nem.

In regards to setup, it is actually 2 tanks. One is a mangrove/macro lagoon and the other is mostly nems with a small section for some zoas frags.

Here are some pics of the setup. A few of the tanks are under the other tanks and there are 3 off tot he left side that are not in view, but all runs to the rubbermaid trough.

tempImageL1Fn0N.png

IMG_7413.jpg

tempImageKfVNTy.png

OP
OP
P

PAReefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in 500 or so gallons of water between all of the tanks and is based with 25-30 year old live rock that has never been dry. I also run a ton of carbon and the water has to be kept pristine. Anything outside of that, and I have issues with the nems wanting to fight.

Not saying that this is needed, but I know when my carbon is about depleted, as the nems react to each other. The mags will ball up and the haddoni will attempt to curl over and sting every other nem.

In regards to setup, it is actually 2 tanks. One is a mangrove/macro lagoon and the other is mostly nems with a small section for some zoas frags.

Here are some pics of the setup. A few of the tanks are under the other tanks and there are 3 off tot he left side that are not in view, but all runs to the rubbermaid trough.

tempImageL1Fn0N.png

IMG_7413.jpg

tempImageKfVNTy.png
Homie look, you have got an entire world going on there that I am not even remotely close to understanding. I am talking about a single 20 gallon tank and you are over here talking about a LFS you built in your house. Complete with Mangrove estuaries and ****. I do appreciate the advice however. Thanks

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back