Anemone questions - Powerhead guard?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, I'm considering getting my first anemone that isn't a rockflower (love those guys) on the possibility that my clown pair will host it, plus they just look really nice. Probably a nice BTA.

My tank's a 15 gallon, nearing its 2nd birthday, and since I'm going to Aquashella in a couple of months, I thought it'd be a good time to look for a birthday present for it. It's growing corals and coralline algae without any trouble and everything is just, going well apart from a little nuisance algae. It has a solid light with PAR to spare, so ultimately my question comes down to - should I get a guard to go over my Sicce voyager nano 1000 powerhead.

The slots on the side are pretty narrow, but I've read so many horror stories of anemones getting sucked up into the blades and nuking a tank. There are options for a cover that I'm looking into, one on this very forum, but I'm leery of reducing flow in the tank even by that much. Does anyone have experience with this powerhead, has anyone had an anemone sucked into it? Would it be better to be safe than sorry? Please share!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back