Anemone suggestion for reef tank

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 80 gallon tank and I have a clown and another I’m introducing soon but I was thinking about anemones but don’t really want them sting stuff what’s a good anemones for a reef tank also is the rock anemones good for reef tanks and clown hosting.
 
RFA is the safest bet. LTA not bad because they will mostly keep to the sand but they get fairly large with a decent reach.
 
word of warning on rock flower anemones ("RFA"), from what I have seen, clowns don't gravitate towards them due to the lack of flowy tentacles (in my opinion). Bubbletip anemones are good hosts for clowns, but they can wander and sting coral. I almost any nem can/will do that, except RFAs I assume because the tentacles are too short to contact much of anything.
 
My lfs has a lot of rock flower nems so I might consider one so they get big
 
Rock flower are the only reef safe nems I've kept but I've never had clowns that were interested in them. Ive kept bubble, long tentacle and haddoni but I will no longer keep them in a reef tank. Haddoni was probably the safest as far as moving and stinging coral but IME they can be fish killers.
 
I’ve kept a bta before. I loved mine but the amount of stress it caused both my wife and I was a lot. Always being moody and always moving around the tank. Loved it, and hated it at the same time, haha
 
So is there more information on rock flower nem on how big they get and can they be placed on sand or small rocks do they sting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new