Anemone v Coral

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!!! One of our anemones moved last night and is now *this close* to a piece of frogspawn coral. I’m reading mixed reviews through online searches as to whether this is okay or not- will they be friendly neighbors?? I’m worried about one stinging the other, etc. Thoughts please, thank you!!!❤️

IMG_0650.jpeg IMG_0659.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the nem and coral. I had an octospawn decimate a big RFA. It lost about 40% of its disk before I removed it--no idea why it didn't move on its own. Octo clearly won that match, but not sure how well it would do against a BTA or a carpet nem.

OP
OP
Newreefmama

Newreefmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the nem and coral. I had an octospawn decimate a big RFA. It lost about 40% of its disk before I removed it--no idea why it didn't move on its own. Octo clearly won that match, but not sure how well it would do against a BTA or a carpet nem.
Thank you! I have separated the two with the sincere hope the nem doesn’t decide to relocate… again.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video by Pieces of the Ocean and they managed to keep anemone from moving in their mixed reef tank by putting the anemone on a rock island surrounded by sand. Apparently the BTA don't like to try to cross the sand. Has anyone else tried a similar setup?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video by Pieces of the Ocean and they managed to keep anemone from moving in their mixed reef tank by putting the anemone on a rock island surrounded by sand. Apparently the BTA don't like to try to cross the sand. Has anyone else tried a similar setup?
1696801918604.jpeg

BTA island on the left. They stay up near the top and rarely venture down. I have them at around 300 PAR at peak. I think it helps a lot that that is a Fiji reef rock that has lots of knobby surfaces and little nooks for their feet. Below them is space earmarked for zoas (and temporary resident acro). So far, neither of the two BTAs has moved to another rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back