Anemone & Wavemaker

What wavemakers do you suggest that are safe for anemones?
There are some current USA pumps that have pre-filters. Keeping rock away from your glass helps keep the anemones off the glass and away from pumps, but this doesn't work for all types of anemones
 
Pretty much every wave maker has the ability to be modified to make it safer for your anenomes.

I use this product readily available on Amazon.

Works for flat and cone shaped as well as gyre pumps. I used 4 lb fishing line to secure it to the pumps.


Screenshot_20210810-124029.png
 
I've DIY'd some guards by cutting up some old nets and using cable ties to mount them on the pumps. My BTA's stay on their rocks so I don't use any guards anymore. We'll find out eventually whether this was a wise move or not haha
 
I have not used guards in 10 years or so, healthy anemones will survive and be able to move away from most powerheads.
Easy inexpensive way is a rubberband and some filter floss around the powerhead, once the nem settles it should be fine to remove.
 
I just lost my anemone to my gyre pump with mesh covers. It didn't make it 12 hours. It wouldn't attach to anything. I turned the pumps off for hours and thought it had settled and then restarted the pumps on minimum. Woke up to a hundred bright tentacles all over my sand bed and pile of goo in the pump.
 
I just lost my anemone to my gyre pump with mesh covers. It didn't make it 12 hours. It wouldn't attach to anything. I turned the pumps off for hours and thought it had settled and then restarted the pumps on minimum. Woke up to a hundred bright tentacles all over my sand bed and pile of goo in the pump.
omg that's traumatic
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new