Anemone with descriptive name? ID needed pls

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone - I purchased this fella yesterday and I forgot what it was called. It had an adjective as part of its name - something like “Remarkable Anemone” or “Fascinating Anemone”. It is attached to a round frag plug and seems like it has a hard base. It has become a little more relaxed since I took this picture this morning. Also, as I’m new to reef tanks and saltwater I want to make sure I have it in the best place in the tank. I am starting out with the Fluval Evo 13.5 - stock light upgraded filter baskets and pump. Not a ton of movement in my tank because a lot of my little frags haven’t attached themselves yet.

IMG_1237.jpeg IMG_1236.jpeg IMG_1235.jpeg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like an elegance coral to me. Also, welcome to the hobby! The 13.5 Evo is a tank I have, it's a great little tank.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see if I can get an image of the base of it. i thought the name almost sounded made up. I was wondering if it is a real anemone or a look alike if there is such a thing. I did buy it out of a large tank full of frags. They have 3 large tanks that are $29, $49 and $69. This was $49. I was attracted to the minty green and blush coloration and it was a good size. Plus I have fallen in looove with anemones and it looked like one to me. I guess I can go back and ask them. I didn’t want to seem like an airhead. I try to keep that hidden ;-)

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep catalaphyllia. ignore IDs from this LFS moving forward, they should be willing to say ‘i don’t know’ rather than give such a bad ID. edit: oh, no judgement if you’re the one who IDd it. They look similar to newer hobbyists because they’re all related taxonomically.

these are usually pretty healthy but are prone to bacterial infection when shipped or otherwise stressed. keep an eye out for closing/pinching during the day. i’ve never treated one but there should be threads on here

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones do not have any hard parts, and I don't recognize it. Any chance it is an elegance coral?
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! I just looked that up and I think you are correct! Duh, I’m learning so much new stuff I’m getting confused. Thank you. Not an anemone. I'm off to learn about these now...

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep catalaphyllia. ignore IDs from this LFS moving forward, they should be willing to say ‘i don’t know’ rather than give such a bad ID. edit: oh, no judgement if you’re the one who IDd it. They look similar to newer hobbyists because they’re all related taxonomically.

these are usually pretty healthy but are prone to bacterial infection when shipped or otherwise stressed. keep an eye out for closing/pinching during the day. i’ve never treated one but there should be threads on here
Thank you for the tip on what to look out for. So much to learn with this but I’m loving doing it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back