0   0   0
my anemones keeps moving, 2 jumped into the overflow and died in sock filter :(

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green bulb tip anemone that isn't inflating. It was in the same spot for a few months. It had good light, flow, and paired with a snowflake clown. Now he has moved under the rock and hasn't inflated for a few days, maybe a week. His foot is still attached and is still green, but I am worried he may be moving into a spot that is going to be dangerous and difficult to move. Any tips or advise?

Nate G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green bulb tip anemone that isn't inflating. It was in the same spot for a few months. It had good light, flow, and paired with a snowflake clown. Now he has moved under the rock and hasn't inflated for a few days, maybe a week. His foot is still attached and is still green, but I am worried he may be moving into a spot that is going to be dangerous and difficult to move. Any tips or advise?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only truly white anemones are non-photosynthetic. They lack zooxanthellae. All of the common anemones we keep in the hobby have zooxanthellae, therefore they are not white. Even "Condy" anemones should not be white. Here is a pic of me collecting one in the wild. As you can see, it isn't white. https://imageshack.com/i/89sn854087j

Actually there is one anemone that is a host anemome that is naturally white and that is a Mertensi, this was missed from the list of host nems on first page.
But I agree, other than a mertensi all other host nems should not be white.

jcosta26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449372175.279102.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449372186.639681.jpg

Can anyone ID this new?

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually there is one anemone that is a host anemome that is naturally white and that is a Mertensi, this was missed from the list of host nems on first page.
But I agree, other than a mertensi all other host nems should not be white.

Sorry for the delayed response. I just saw this post.

I hate to disagree with you, and with all due respect, that's not accurate. A healthy S. mertensii does harbor zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae are brown, or golden colored. Not white. S. mertensii, like many other species, occasionally have white markings on them, but the anemone can't be solid white without the lose of it's brown/golden colored zooxanthellae. A S. mertensii without its zooxanthellae is an anemone in trouble.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449372175.279102.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449372186.639681.jpg

Can anyone ID this new?

That is H. malu.
Even that anemone is not solid white. Look past the tentacles to the body of the anemone. The body is a browin-ish color. This color is produced by the anemone's zooxanthellae.

jcosta26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is H. malu.
Even that anemone is not solid white. Look past the tentacles to the body of the anemone. The body is a browin-ish color. This color is produced by the anemone's zooxanthellae.
Does it look healthy? Should I feed it? Anything I should know about it?

mcmc1717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That moment when you ask the waiter what is this orange meat in your sushi and he tells you, "Clownfish." :eek:

jcosta26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459207041.585725.jpg

I have been told by people on this form that this nem is an H. Malu, it hosts my clarkii clown and is about 7 inches across. When I first got it about 4 months ago it was completely 100% white and looked like it was just about gone, since then it's shown progress, but still doesn't look right to me. It is hard to see but the tentacles closest to the mouth started turning slightly green, is this good or bad? It seems to eat when fed and stays in place for the most part... Anyway I can get it more colored up and pretty looking? To me it doesn't really look like an H. Malu honestly lol.... Please lmk if you have any tips!

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks:
I have a question that I'm sure will stir some sand! :)
I have a tank in our living room that is mostly SPS. My wife has decided she wants her own tank in her home office (I bought her a 90 cube). She wants LPS and softies. She also said she demands (a very bright colorful) anemone, to host NEMO (her words not mine).
The only problem is I am colorblind!, and she wants ME to find it and be sure it will host.
Please help.
Here comes the sand stirrer part:

What is the most colorful anemone I could buy her that will host?
Again I'm colorblind and she is leaving it up to ME to find this. Not smart on her part (in my opinion) due to my vision limitation.
If possible please post a picture with your recommendation so I can show them to her and let her make the decision (that would get me out of the "I told you what I wanted and this isn't it" hole).

Let the sand stirring start:
Rick

Last edited:

Christopher Tracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , this is my first time posing in this forum. I have had my tank for about 9mos now. I picked up this beautiful purple colored anemone. When compared to my other fish and corals he is huge so I call him Galactus. l
13087757_10154145472849114_8220149792976092895_n.jpg
My female clownfish has hosted with it. My male clown wants in on the action but the female isn't the shareing type.lol Can you guys name this species of Anemone. Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back