Can anyone help with ID of this nem please
01626dcc6dd4f7d1cc004b5a04dfd5f8.jpg
a2de643b5c4bbeb585059546d8f6a8a3.jpg

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clowns101 thank you for taking the time to put this great list together. Also the link provided by @Railrider1920 is incredible. To keep finding great information is why this community is such a great resource. Thanks @R2R Mod team!!
Here is a picture of my Tube Anemone I’ve had since March 2017. It’s grown quite a bit & I've found very little info on the web. I’ve come to understand it’s behavior more from just watching it & not panicking. Like the first time it sunk deep into the tube for like 3 days & seemed to be falling apart. Only to emerge once again from the top of the tube with a little more girth than it had before. So it seems it withdrew, let the outer shelve loosen up & came back a little fatter.
When I cut back on the frozen food I was keeping my tank, it seemed like it’s tenticals we’re stretched out, looking for food in a wider search pattern.
It’s mesmerizing to watch it feed & sway with or again the flow. We call it the “Flower” because it does look like a beautiful flower.
DE1E1F36-328C-44C9-8D3A-5B97DA99AFF8.jpeg

May 2017 (2 months having it)
27AFC282-19CB-4474-9278-AAB12DB9C411.jpeg

Taking a poo
9CF556BB-40A4-441D-B364-27C3B0CE84EA.jpeg

First freak-out for me! OMG what’s happening (3 days like this)
6DC7AAA5-347E-4193-92D5-23BECB271883.jpeg

Picture Aug 19,2019 same place only bigger.

Thanks for letting me share.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water parameters are important to monitor for a nem only tank? I figure Salinity, temp, PH, nitrates, & phosphates. But what about Alk, Cal, and Mag? Do they need to be present since nems have no skeleton?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently got stuck in a situation. So I decided to rescape/start over my display. I sold all of my coral and most of the rock and now have a new structure with some old rock mixed in. I had a large BTA island previously and a pair of percs that were in the island for 10 plus years. Those were all part of the sale. Late last night, my wife decided to surprise me with some new clowns and an anemone. She showed up with a paired set of Maroons. Female is a Golden Dot and the male is either a Goldflake or Thunder not sure as I don’t know the age. The anemone is the best I can tell a Ritteri, definitely not a BTA. In all honesty she was a little upset I had sold the clowns and BTA island. Fair enough.. will these clowns host this type of anemone? They showed up in one bag together, but since in the tank, nowhere near the nem. Secondly, I’ve never had this type of anemone. I had planned on letting the tank just chill for the next couple of months before adding anything in. As she showed up later in the evening, I knew the stores would be closed, and don’t have a small holding tank. So in it all went. Feeling a bit stressed this morning that it may have been a mistake as I’m not familiar with either species. As in I’ve known about them both, but they weren’t on my radar. And finding the two together is a bit tough online, making me feel they won’t pair up. Any suggestions??? Please

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently got stuck in a situation. So I decided to rescape/start over my display. I sold all of my coral and most of the rock and now have a new structure with some old rock mixed in. I had a large BTA island previously and a pair of percs that were in the island for 10 plus years. Those were all part of the sale. Late last night, my wife decided to surprise me with some new clowns and an anemone. She showed up with a paired set of Maroons. Female is a Golden Dot and the male is either a Goldflake or Thunder not sure as I don’t know the age. The anemone is the best I can tell a Ritteri, definitely not a BTA. In all honesty she was a little upset I had sold the clowns and BTA island. Fair enough.. will these clowns host this type of anemone? They showed up in one bag together, but since in the tank, nowhere near the nem. Secondly, I’ve never had this type of anemone. I had planned on letting the tank just chill for the next couple of months before adding anything in. As she showed up later in the evening, I knew the stores would be closed, and don’t have a small holding tank. So in it all went. Feeling a bit stressed this morning that it may have been a mistake as I’m not familiar with either species. As in I’ve known about them both, but they weren’t on my radar. And finding the two together is a bit tough online, making me feel they won’t pair up. Any suggestions??? Please
Fixed my issue, purchased 3 BTA’s from WWC, a WWC Flame, WWC Hawaiian Punch, and WWC Rainbow.

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!! Can anyone help me ID this guy? Just got him yesterday and he is doing great so far.

20191015_080725.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very stressed anemone. Possibly a H. crispa, or even a H. malu. Better pictures of the anemone will help. Clear picture of the column, oral plate, and foot.

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very stressed anemone. Possibly a H. crispa, or even a H. malu. Better pictures of the anemone will help. Clear picture of the column, oral plate, and foot.
So I just got home from work and he has gotten huge.. he still has to place his foot somewhere but hes grown in size. I'm assuming that's a good thing?

20191015_164922.jpg 20191015_164910.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is either a H. crispa 85% sure or possibly a H. malu 15% sure.
Not a BTA, LTA, Magnifica or any of the Carpets. Not a Aurora.

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor clownfish swim over to it and freakishly swim away from it and hide haha it's funny to watch.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not saying it is a hybrid, just saying he isn't sure on the ID. He is 85% sure it is H. Crispa but if that is wrong then it is H. Malu.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 13.5g Fluval EVO. I was thinking about getting a nem for my clown. Tank is 6 months old and stable. Any suggestions on what to get, or is my tank to small or too young for a nem? Thanks.

Shelleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am posting this thread to help other become aware of the different species of anemones and care for anemone species.

Entacmaea quadricolor:
Common names:
1)Rose Bubble Tip:RBTA's
2)Bulb Anemones
3)Maroon Anemones
4)4 Color Anemone

Tentecals will sometimes inflate at tip with white stripes around the mouth is commonly seen in this species.Ataches to hard surface with a current gently blowing over the Oral Disk.

Natural Host:
Symbiosis with this anemones has occured with all species that we know of and seen with some damsels.

Avability:10/10
Light demands:Moderate to high
Flow:Moderate
Photo:
MVC-006S.jpg

Macrodactlya doreensis:
Common names:
1)Long Tentecal Anemone
2)Red Based Anemone
3)Corkscrew Anemone
4)Sand Anemone

Attaches at Rock/Sand interface with a Moderate flow passing through the tenteclas.

Avability:9/10
Lighting:Moderate to high

Natural Host:
Know to host many clownfish and has been seen hosting some damsels.
Photo:
DSC00904.jpg

Heteractis cripsa:
Common Names:
1)Leathery Anemone
2)Buttom Anemone
3)Sand Based Anemone
4)Sebae Anemone

Attaches to Rock/Sand interface,has been seen on rocks.

Avability:9/10
Lighting:High
Flow:Moderate to high

Natural Host:
Clarkii,Blue Stripe,True Percula,Pink Skunk,Saddle Back.Known to host other as well,as been seen with some damsels.

Heteractis aroura:
Common Names:
1)Beaded Anemone
2)Aroura Anemone

Buries foot down in sand bed,with tenteclas raised.Large beady like tentecals.

Avability:3/10

Natural host know:
Clarkii

Hateractis malu:
Common names:
1)Singapore Anemone
2)Malu Anemone

Buries foot in sand also seen at Rock/Sand interface.Commonly has purple tips.

Avability:5/10

Natural Host:
Clarkii
Has been known to has many more clownfish.

Heteractis magnifica:
Common Names:
1)Magnificent Anemone
2)Ritteri Anemone
3)Red Radianthus Anemone

Generally attaches to hard surface with foot completly exposed.Very bright colors and generally bigger.

Avability:7/10
Lighting:Very High
Flow:Very high and alternating

Natural host:
Ocellaris
Percula
Skunk
Has been seen hosting others as well.

Stichodactlya haddoni:
Common Names:
1)Carpet Anemone
2)Short tentecal Anemone

Attaches at Rock/Sand interface,very sticky and comes in MANY colors.

Avability:8/10
Lighting:High

Natural host:
Clarkii
SaddleBack
Has been known to host many more clownfish.

Stichidactly gigantea:
Common names:
1)Giant Carpet Anemone

Commonly seen in the rocks but also close to the Rock/Sand Interface.

Avability:6/10
Lighting:Very high
Flow:Very high and alternating

Natural host:
Clarkii
Percula
Ocellaris
Has been know to host many other species as well.

Cerianthus sp.
Common name:
1)Tube Anemone
2)Worm Anemone

Buries foot in sand has long tenteclas that can vary in color!

Avability:8/10
Lighting:Low/Non phyto
Flow:Low Moderate

Natural host:
Dosent host any clownfish

Epicystis crucifer:
Common Names:
1)Rock Flower Anemone
2)Flower Anemone

Many live on shaded vertical rock walls.Oral disk lacks tentecals and the anemone may have beaded tentecals.

Avability:7/10
Lighting:Low
Flow:Low

Natural host:
No natural host.Has been seen hosting Tomato Clowns in the aquarium.
Let me know if you would like to have more species done.This is just your basic host selection.

Also if you have any pictures of the aneones posted please pass them along for me to post here!

Tanks!
Hi... could you help me identify this extra terrestrial looking creature
377C1790-EC47-4930-814E-303C7F73C049.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back