Angler fish

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought I would share a pic of Captain Ahab! Snapped this shot this morning as the lights came on (He stays hidden through the rockwork most of the day). He's in a Jebo R338 9g tank on a stand next to my desk at the office. I feed him gut-fed ghost shrimp, usually just 1 a day. Tank has a few zoas, ricordias and 1 very big mushroom. I've havent gone crazy trying to stock the tank with more coral because its at the office..but when I bring the tank home I will try a bit more.

here he is! freaking awesome :)

sl0eu8.jpg

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking for one of those for a while awesome fish!

ShannPeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish :)

Have you tried getting him/it onto prepared foods? I have a leaf fish and got him to the point now where it gobbles whatever I am feeding right off the tongs. It makes me feel better that I can give it a variety of foods. I started by soaking the live feeder shrimp in garlic and fed those for like a week. Then soaked silversides in garlic, or krill in garlic (or whatever your food is) and waved it gently in front of him and then let it go "upstream" of him so it would drift past him like a live food item. Now I don't even have to soak the food in garlic :)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish! Don't feed him every day, though. Every other day is more appropriate. We do Monday, Wednesday, Friday over here.

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish :)

Have you tried getting him/it onto prepared foods? I have a leaf fish and got him to the point now where it gobbles whatever I am feeding right off the tongs. It makes me feel better that I can give it a variety of foods. I started by soaking the live feeder shrimp in garlic and fed those for like a week. Then soaked silversides in garlic, or krill in garlic (or whatever your food is) and waved it gently in front of him and then let it go "upstream" of him so it would drift past him like a live food item. Now I don't even have to soak the food in garlic :)

thanks you! I hadnt considered switching him over, I just feed the ghost shrimp then feed them to him lol. Once I bring the tank home I might try this :)

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish! Don't feed him every day, though. Every other day is more appropriate. We do Monday, Wednesday, Friday over here.

awesome thanks for the tip - i was def every day. I figured the shrimp are pretty small and I didnt want to starve him. But if every other day is better I'll give it a go!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are ambush predators, which in the wild doesn't guarantee a meal every day. Their bodies are made for such periods of abstinence. Where they also do not expend much energy swimming or hunting, they do not have a high metabolism and thus do not have a high demand for calories. Their digestion is pretty slow and larger pieces or simply too much food has been found rotting in some anglers upon their demise. You can indeed kill them with kindness. S.A.D (Sudden Angler Death) has been associated with this phenomenon. I believe that's still in theory only, but I haven't read much in it lately.

Convert him to frozen foods as soon as possible and you will improve his nutritional status 10-fold.

OP
OP
illdoya

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are ambush predators, which in the wild doesn't guarantee a meal every day. Their bodies are made for such periods of abstinence. Where they also do not expend much energy swimming or hunting, they do not have a high metabolism and thus do not have a high demand for calories. Their digestion is pretty slow and larger pieces or simply too much food has been found rotting in some anglers upon their demise. You can indeed kill them with kindness. S.A.D (Sudden Angler Death) has been associated with this phenomenon. I believe that's still in theory only, but I haven't read much in it lately.

Convert him to frozen foods as soon as possible and you will improve his nutritional status 10-fold.

thanks for the info! i hadnt considered converting to frozen until this thread but now im gonna give it some serious credence. Main goal is reaching and maintaining optimal nutritional status..

thanks again for the help!

Phil

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info. I knew they should be fed sparingly because of the way they eat, but had no idea problems could be caused by to much. Completely makes since, just never thought it through!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back