Anglerfish more immune to diseases?

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had an angler get ich? Seems like a lot of people feed live feeder fish without quarantine.
Ive been caching feeder fish for mine in the intracoastal and hes doing great, just curious...
568ea210a4b104c5864d1784bf81f710.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes anglers can get ich, I've seen it a few times. Anglers have a very high mortality rate, and most only last a few weeks to a couple of months, so it's always hard to tell what kills them. It is a death sentence though as they can not be treated with copper, I'm not familiar with cp so I'm not sure if that's an option. Ich is not as likely to come from the source you mentioned, it's the way fish are handled in captivity that proliferates the spreading of disease. whether it be ich, velvet, parasites, or whatever.

I feed my anglers live ghosties and mollies. Mollies coming from a fresh water environment can not transfer diseases to your marine tank. If someone was feeding captive kept saltwater fish, you would need to qt them and eradicate any internal or external parasites. Saltwater shrimp would be ok as long as their source was never kept with fish, more and more lame lfs are keeping fish and inverts in the same system.

You are lucky to have a natural live source of food, these guys will not last long on a dead diet, and they are much more active and entertaining when you are feeding them live. People try and balk at feeding freshwater shrimp and freshwater mollies, not knowing that these 2 live in fresh, brackish, and salt water. Commercially it's just cheaper and easier to keep them in fresh, it's easy to acclimate either of these to salt, and I've even bred molies in salt, in the wild their breeding ground is in brackish water as high as 1.017sg.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back